PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@simong : Wow they have everything on the internet these days. I didn't know it was intended for a lot of the stations but I seem to remember a couple where those tiles had survived the 1960's urge to improve things!

Reactions: simong

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@simong : Wow they have everything on the internet these days. I didn't know it was intended for a lot of the stations but I seem to remember a couple where those tiles had survived the 1960's urge to improve things!
Everything except an answer to oxblooding on pipes! Lol
I'll keep looking, hopefully something will crop up.

woodrow

Lurker
Oct 28, 2018
I believe that coffee can be used for dye. One can also paint it, or let some sit in the bottom of the bowl (that’s if you like that colour of brown). coffee is used as a colorant on bone beads as well.
Im not aware of anything inert that can be used for colouring.
Interesting thread.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Great stuff everyone. I believe you two have sent the entire internet on a Meerschaum trend. Posters here seem to have gotten the bug. I like smoking Meer pipes better than any other medium but I like the look of Blasted Briar the best. Go figure. Maybe someone will carve a Meer and color it to look like a blasted briar pipe. :)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Doesnt look like Briar to me. Super cool though. I guess it is similar to briar. There is one on ebay, maybe somehwere else, where they actually sandblasted the meer. It looks like a cow turd to me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I assume you're referring to the pics @Chasing Embers posted above. I agree the red one doesn't at all look like briar, but the brown one kinda does. It at least gives an idea of what is possible...I don't think I've ever seen one quite like that before.
The red one reminded me of those grainless Christmas pipes from Peterson last year.

20220923_200815.jpg

Reactions: brian64

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Listed as Sandblasted Meerschaum.....

s-l1600.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: brian64