PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@simong : Wow they have everything on the internet these days. I didn't know it was intended for a lot of the stations but I seem to remember a couple where those tiles had survived the 1960's urge to improve things!
Everything except an answer to oxblooding on pipes! Lol
I'll keep looking, hopefully something will crop up.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Great stuff everyone. I believe you two have sent the entire internet on a Meerschaum trend. Posters here seem to have gotten the bug. I like smoking Meer pipes better than any other medium but I like the look of Blasted Briar the best. Go figure. Maybe someone will carve a Meer and color it to look like a blasted briar pipe. :)

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Doesnt look like Briar to me. Super cool though. I guess it is similar to briar. There is one on ebay, maybe somehwere else, where they actually sandblasted the meer. It looks like a cow turd to me.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I assume you're referring to the pics @Chasing Embers posted above. I agree the red one doesn't at all look like briar, but the brown one kinda does. It at least gives an idea of what is possible...I don't think I've ever seen one quite like that before.
The red one reminded me of those grainless Christmas pipes from Peterson last year.

20220923_200815.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Listed as Sandblasted Meerschaum.....

s-l1600.jpg

drayve85

Starting to Get Obsessed
I remember seeing a pair of unsmoked meers that had been Oxblooded on the bay years ago. A definate resemblance to the 'iron oxide' colour you mentioned. I'd love to know how they did it but perhaps we'll never know for sure as the practice has like you say dissapeared from living memory.
Funny you noticed the similarity with the 'shit brown' tiles on the Tube. After googling oxblood turns out that's what the architect wanted for the Tube stations. Although he described the colour not as Oxblood or Shit brown but 'Sang de Boeuf'.Probably charged tuppence a tile extra for that as it sounds a bit posher. Lol
From Wikipedia,
From 1903, the English architect Leslie Green used an industrial, solid, sang de boeuf glaze on the glazed architectural terra-cotta tiles for the exteriors of the stations of a large part of the London Underground system, which was then divided between a number of commercial companies. His employer, the Underground Electric Railways Company of London was building the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway, the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway and the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway, which are now respectively sections of the Piccadilly line, Bakerloo line and Northern line. The Leeds Fireclay Companymade the tiles.[11]
“Sang de Boeuf” means oxblood. Or “blood of beef”, but it just has a certain je na sai quoi!lol

Edit: fat fingers.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Xmacro, I really like the odd way your claw is coloring~! It helps that I'm extraordinarily picky about claw meerschaums, the details have to be exactly the way I like them, and yours is great.

Ashdigger, I think I'm in love with your BBB meer. The colors, the stem, everying is just perfect. And it must be unusually so, because I don't like straight billiards. But I'd eagerly smoke that one! Gorgeous in every way.