Meerschaum Pipe Issues- or Operator Error?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
That's what I'm hoping! I have had a few more bowls in my meer since my original post. The most recent was the same tobacco as before, but the bowl did not get as hot as it had previously. Don't know if that's because it is getting broken in more or because I am being more careful to smoke it cooler, or both; but either way, I did notice an improvement.

I then went and ordered a second meer.......an IMP. Probably won't end up with a whole collection of meers, but I think it's cool to have at least a couple in my pipe collection; although it's more a random mishmash of pipes I like than an actual "collection" per se. Anyway, maybe just one more meer............:rolleyes:

View attachment 17457
Beautiful pipe. I've heard IMP pipes are real high quality.

Reactions: bmdfm

bmdfm

Lurker
Jan 13, 2013
Newport, New Hampshire
Beautiful pipe. I've heard IMP pipes are real high quality.
Thanks! My understanding is that they are on par with the Baki pipes which is what I have now. Supposed to have a sleeve in the stummel to support the delrin tenon, as opposed to the screw in type. It's supposed to have a more open draw as well. We'll see when it comes in, but I think it will be great. I really like the silver accent as well.

Reactions: lightmybriar

Wade H

Lurker
Jan 13, 2020
Glendale Arizona
I have heard this before, but I just cannot get on board with the whole glove thing. I tried to smoke it by only holding the mouthpiece so as not to contaminate the meerschaum, but after almost dropping it by holding it in that way, I realized that it was getting to the point of being ridiculous. I just decided that if I am going to get any enjoyment out of it at all, I need to just treat it as a pipe and not get all hung up about it.

That being said, I smoke briar pipes when I am working in my wood shop and only smoke the meer in the house, with clean hands. If that makes the pipe color unevenly, so be it. If the pipe would color more rapidly, I may be more inclined to persevere with the extra care, but it sounds as if it can take a lifetime to fully color and I just won't find myself bothering to smoke it if I have to constantly handle it gingerly and spend all my time worrying about it. Just my own personal observation.
I hear you, bmdfm. I started smoking meerschaum pipes in the early 1980's, after being stationed overseas in Turkey. I brought back a large collection of meerschaum pipes. I was told all that stuff about "holding by the stem" etc while smoking, but that just wasn't enjoyable. I found that all I really needed to do was wash and dry my hands before smoking one, and enjoy it like any other pipe. This is all I've ever done, and my meerschaum pipes color in beautifully and evenly.

bmdfm

Lurker
Jan 13, 2013
Newport, New Hampshire
Just looking back on this post from back in January and I'm happy to report that all is well with the meerschaum pipe. I guess it just needed to be smoked more to be happy. I still smoke my briars more regularly but I really do like the meerschaum when I smoke it. I bought a second one; an IMP rhodesian which behaved so much better from the get-go and I rotate between the two of them. In fact, I now like them so much that I just added a third meerschaum to the collection. Another IMP. Haven't had a chance to smoke it yet, but looking forward to doing so this weekend. Hopefully it doesn't take as long as the first one to start smoking like a champ! Came with 2 stems; a churchwarden and a regular one. 002-316-3754.3200.jpg002-316-3754_1.2561.jpg