PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi everyone

What is the benefit in getting a meerschaum lined pipe?

Been told it burns better. Is this a gimmick or is this true?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hi everyone

I suppose the idea is to get a dryer smoke, but any pipe gimmick isn't going to fix bad technique. Drier tobacco lightly packed and smoked slowly in any well drilled pipe will give you what you're looking for.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
yeah it works. Though like people have already said it's not going to fix bad technique. And yeah it smokes like a meer while not being as fragile (which isn't as fragile as people like to think it is either). Though it will do what it claims to do but not anything that will blow your socks off.

Reactions: edger and keith929

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
I always wondered about these. Never really been attracted to them, or calabashes (w/removable bowls), for that matter. I have been looking at meers lately and I would personally prefer a nicely carved meer, over a portion of meer in a briar pipe.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I own two meer-lined briars. One a Grabow, the other an old Smokemaster.

Smoking characteristics are great. You’ll really taste only what is burning.

But, when cool and even thoroughly cleaned, putting a nose to the meer-lineds is always met with a sour smell that I never get from cleaned briars. Don’t know if that matters at all, but no matter how cleaned, my meers share that same smell.

I don’t own any meer pipes. I wonder if that’s normally the case with a meer?

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think meer-lined pipes are meant to be the best of both worlds, a fine briar with the smoking traits of a meer. If you buy one, and you like to smoke it, that's your answer. I like the traits of both materials enough to want both kinds but no hybrids.

Once again, MSO nails it.
Pipe makers have been turning out meer lined bowls for close to a century and a half. You get the neutrality of a meer with the toughness of a briar exterior. Mine all smoke great.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I own two meer-lined briars. One a Grabow, the other an old Smokemaster.

Smoking characteristics are great. You’ll really taste only what is burning.

But, when cool and even thoroughly cleaned, putting a nose to the meer-lineds is always met with a sour smell that I never get from cleaned briars. Don’t know if that matters at all, but no matter how cleaned, my meers share that same smell.

I don’t own any meer pipes. I wonder if that’s normally the case with a meer?

I use the hot water flush on my meers. No smell to speak of.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Aren’t there two types of meer lining? Like one which is made up of composite and added to the sides of the chamber like putty, and one which is a whole piece dropped into the chamber with the draft hole being pre drilled through it?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good question! I am guessing yes, but hope someone who knows can answer.

If a whole piece is placed with a bit of glue, I'd think it'd be easier to drill through the airway to get the alignment perfect.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Cup meerschaum lining was the word I wanted! As opposed to a chamber wall lining.

I’ve worked on a few meer lined pipes. I really dig their aesthetic, but am conscious that sometimes the lining may be hiding a flaw in the briar. There is a big difference in quality of lining between the ones i have worked on. Not sure if this is just in regards to the half a dozen or so I have or the case in general.

the gbd I have has a beautiful meer lining. Thick and shell like.

the kiko i had smoked amazing as a workhorse but was not pretty.

I am cleaning up 2x genods and 1 bc. All made in st Claude and bent bulldogs. The meer lining seems like it is cup lining on the genod, bc looks crap.

had a cool and sweet which was a disaster of a lining. Ripped it out and gonna replace with some cob

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Aren’t there two types of meer lining? Like one which is made up of composite and added to the sides of the chamber like putty, and one which is a whole piece dropped into the chamber with the draft hole being pre drilled through it?
Correct. You need to differentiate between meer lined (composite and block meer (what it says). Also, I've seen enough Kiko(tm) block-meer pipes to say that their block is 2 pieces... From what I have been able to determine the briar strummel is drilled out on a lathe and then a solid piece of meer insert (block or composite) is glued in and then the strummel is re-drilled to final dimension after which the airway in the shank is drilled. A lot of restorers have used plaster of paris to repair a broken or spalling meer liner. I have had good luck with a slurry of meer dust and egg white. My transition from briar to meer was via meer-lined pipes - now I smoke exclusively meers.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I really like my meer lined pipe and Sable is right MSO hit the nail on the head. The best thing is it smokes like a meer but has a nice briar wall to protect it. Love my briars and my meer and my meer lined pipe. All are different enough to justify their existence. While I'll take walks with the meer I rarely bring it to work but the meer lined I can throw in a backpack pocket and not worry at all about it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ahi Ka

Astrocomical

Lurker
Feb 8, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi everyone

I bought one from a reputable company. After smoking it a while the meershaum lining soon started to creep up out of the briar till it stuck out about a 1/16" or more from the briar. The company I bought it from couldn't believe so and said send them a picture and got them to take my pipe back.

How is it possible? But it happened. Never bought another meershchaum-lined pipe again.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I purchased two meerschaum lined briars decades ago. The sales pitch at the time was "no break-in required," conventional wisdom then held that briars needed to be subjected to a lengthy and detailed break-in process. Overtime the meerschaum inserts broke into small pieces, probably an indicator it wasn't block meerschaum. I tried to carry on using the now larger chamber briars. Both pipes eventually made it to the trash.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Once again, MSO nails it.
Pipe makers have been turning out meer lined bowls for close to a century and a half. You get the neutrality of a meer with the toughness of a briar exterior. Mine all smoke great.

Someone who knows pipes told me that the old Peterson kapmeers are fantastic smokers, but I have yet to try one. I have an unsmoked meerschaum-lined Mastercraft that I might try out soon.

s-l1600-5.jpg