Meerschaum Lined. Best Of Both Worlds? Or, "Drawbacks Of Both Materials"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the meerschaum linings appeared in the 1950's and 60's when pipe smoking was still a mass market and gimmicks, if you will, were pumping sales and marketing. In that heyday, the meerschaum linings were often combined with stitched leather coverings of stummels, for a fancy upscale look. Stingers, the metal condensers inside the stem, were similar sales gimmicks, though they appeared somewhat earlier. Folks have gotten good mileage out of the meer lined pipes, but I don't think they are much of a sales pitch today compared to the old days. As an earlier post said, I think one might want to opt for a full meerschaum pipe rather than a liner, if you have a choice. However, if the lining appeals to you, or the stitched leather bowl, go for it. Not bad ideas, just not the glamour look they once boasted. It really takes a commuter train platform and a smoking car to be fully appreciated by the smoker and his audience.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think every one should have at least one meer lined bowl. It really smokes like meer but without the worry. It makes a great lunting pipe. I swear it acts like advertised and isn't any more of a pain to care for then any other pipe. And like anything in pipes how noticeable the differences are depends on what you smoke in it.

Reactions: rushx9

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like a regular meerschaum pipe, a lined pipe isn't one you ream, I don't think. Just wipe it out after scooping out the ash, do the pipe cleaner, and polish it up.

Reactions: rushx9

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
But... but... mustn't the pipe be let rest from 24 hours to 7 days? Isn't that the point of the 'rotation'?? Isn't proper pipe care, feeding, and preservation the reason why one must have at least 7 pipes? ?

That's just what we tell people. It makes us seem cooler

• Haha
Reactions: jpmcwjr and olkofri

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My experience is that it's fine to smoke a pipe immediately after finishing a bowl, but two things have to exist: The first bowl has to have dry tobacco, and not be wet in the heel to start with. That will produce a dry heel when you smoke to the bottom or almost to it.

Astrocomical

Lurker
Feb 8, 2020
I just bought my FIRST meerschaum lined pipe and already disappointed. It seems the lining has POPPED out of the briar bowl.

It is like the one pictured in one of the replies. The Rattray Brebbia version. Didn't abuse it. Smoked it, let it rest for an hour or two and smoked it again.

Did this on and off for several weeks then the lining seems to have saturated and grown too large for the briar bowl or something then started protruding out of the bowl.

It has gotten worse as time goes on. I was going to buy another meerschaum lined pipe but now is put on hold. I'm going to try to contact Rattray and see what they have to say about this.

Very disappointed. Thinking of buying a PURE meerschaum pipe next time but they are twice as expensive.

Last edited:

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
The 1950s Heibe Meerschaum lined Goldpoint on the left is dedicated to MB Plumcake [It bites in any other pipe]
It definitely needs to be rested after a bowl.

1960s2c.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But... but... mustn't the pipe be let rest from 24 hours to 7 days? Isn't that the point of the 'rotation'?? Isn't proper pipe care, feeding, and preservation the reason why one must have at least 7 pipes? ?
Quite right. But your arithmetic stops short: If you take 6 bowls per day, that'd be at least 42 pipes.....that you NEED!

• Haha
Reactions: olkofri
Jun 23, 2019
+1 on Tekin - I have a tomato pot by him and the meerschaum quality is very good and carving well executed.

That said, I have yet to come across a truly "elite" meerschaum pipe (whether that be in person or through picture on the internet).

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The meerschaum lined pipes were a big craze in the late fifties, along with leather wrapped bowls/shanks, and both often on one pipe. To judge from the response here, the lined pipe idea was a good one. I like the idea of going with all briar or all meerschaum, but I think that's just my liking tradition. From members who own them, they sound quite good.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Vauen, Meerschaum lined no. 7006, Bent Panel shape
Vauen is a top notch manufacturer, but last time I checked they don't use block but pressed Meerschaum for their sepiolite-lined pipes. That's a deal breaker, at least for me.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I have only one meer lined pipe, an estate Chap (Chappelle Bros) Cutty/Belge. It's block meerschaum and I love it! Chamber is easy to clean and I can smoke it several times a day with no worries. As to the original question, I'd say it's all of the above. Best of both, but with some of the drawbacks of both. Biggest drawback to me is it doesn't look like meerschaum. But it can take a knockin' like briar. Fair trade off for a "going out" pipe.
Smoking it in my profile pic. Here's a closer look:
20200209_162135.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.