Meerschaum Lined. Best Of Both Worlds? Or, "Drawbacks Of Both Materials"?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
chasingembers Really? Come on. This goes against what pretty much everyone says... same briar pipe for a week? not to mention a month... How many times a day?

This kinda goes with what I thought before I started pipe smoking. I'm genuinely interested in this approach/possibility of smoking.

Hey and another thing...

Would this be a popular view on the modern made pipes?
I haven't bought a new pipe yet. My collection consists of 10 estate pipes... I've been holding off buying a new one, mainly because of the price. But with this revelation I'll hold off until I'm sure I'm not buying crap... Thanks, though care to elaborate?
IMO, resting a pipe is not a myth completely, but it is greatly exaggerated. I have had a pipe suffer in taste with daily smoking, but it took a while. Also IMO, cobs can take more before souring and recover more quickly. I smoke cobs mostly. I just grab a different pipe very day or two and have no problems

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
chasingembers Really? Come on. This goes against what pretty much everyone says... same briar pipe for a week? not to mention a month... How many times a day?
Two to four times per day cleaning after each smoke.
Would this be a popular view on the modern made pipes?

Certainly. The company that would become Dr Grabow started in 1898 and though they moved from their original facility to Sparta North Carolina, they're still producing and selling pipes.
But with this revelation I'll hold off until I'm sure I'm not buying crap... Thanks, though care to elaborate?
Bad drilling is something I won't tolerate. I traded one Dunhill and trashed two for that reason. Other than the Omega, for obvious reasons, I've never had a Grabow not pass a pipe cleaner. My only issue with them are the small chambers.

Reactions: rushx9 and Seeker81

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
If you follow the “one day of rest per bowl” advice, @didimauw is going to have to rest his grabow for several years when he finally puts it down
I never call a chamber a bowl, but the pipes would only need a few days rest, if any. My main reason for switching pipes is to go to a different tobacco as all of mine are genre dedicated or blend specific.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
That is a slick looking pipe embers, is that a Dr Grabow?
Btw embers I was wondering how to find your youtube vids. I thought I had them bookmarked but can't find them atm. Do you think you link me to them?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Well for starters, you put a foreign substance inside it, then LIGHT IT ON FIRE!!! That can't be good for the poor wooden object. Then you repeatedly do it day after day?

You deserve a blue sock....

??

(Should have added a sarcastic emoji in the first message haha)

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Well for starters, you put a foreign substance inside it, then LIGHT IT ON FIRE!!! That can't be good for the poor wooden object. Then you repeatedly do it day after day?

You deserve a blue sock....

??

(Should have added a sarcastic emoji in the first message haha)
Pushing 70 years old, this guy's a trooper.

Reactions: Seeker81

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've sometimes just been too busy to change out pipes and clean them, so I've occasionally, sometimes more than occasionally, smoked several bowls a day in the same pipe for a week or more. Just keep your tobacco dry and keep your pipe clean.
That said, I don't think resting a pipe to dry it out is entirely a marketing ploy. Too many overused pipes with shank splits around for that to be the case.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Another thing with Meerschaum-lined pipes, one that would be a concern to me, at least, is whether it's block or pressed Meerschaum. I wouldn't buy anything made from the latter (well, maybe a filter). Even Vauen uses pressed Meerschaum for their Meerschaum-lined pipes. I'd just buy an actual (block) Meerschaum pipe instead.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Another thing with Meerschaum-lined pipes, one that would be a concern to me, at least, is whether it's block or pressed Meerschaum. I wouldn't buy anything made from the latter (well, maybe a filter). Even Vauen uses pressed Meerschaum for their Meerschaum-lined pipes. I'd just buy an actual (block) Meerschaum pipe instead.
Yeah, since reading about the pressed meerschaum I have thought that I would prefer to buy block. Although when hunting around on ebay, it's almost impossible to tell (not so much with the pipes clearly stamped, but certainly with those meerschaum lined).

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Pipe rest is a marketing gimmick. I've smoked the same pipe for a week, sometimes a month at a time before switching. Not one sour pipe in decades.
I disagree. I think so many pipe rules are based on knowing people will not follow the rules and also the protecting pipes against idiots someone that thinks a pipe is dry after five minutes for example. And if you smoke a wet pipe it will get gunky and nasty.

Reactions: Papamique

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I disagree. I think so many pipe rules are based on knowing people will not follow the rules and also the protecting pipes against idiots someone that thinks a pipe is dry after five minutes for example. And if you smoke a wet pipe it will get gunky and nasty.
Disassemble after a smoke, run a pipe cleaner through the stem and draft hole, wipe the mortise with a Q-tip, and wipe the chamber out with a paper towel. Reassemble and allow to cool for an hour or two and it's good to go. There have been multiple water tests done and documented by forum members that prove briar isn't terribly absorbant. Like I said before, I've smoked my pipes like that for decades. No sour or wet smokes and no burnouts.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Disassemble after a smoke, run a pipe cleaner through the stem and draft hole, wipe the mortise with a Q-tip, and wipe the chamber out with a paper towel. Reassemble and allow to cool for an hour or two and it's good to go. There have been multiple water tests done and documented by forum members that prove briar isn't terribly absorbant. Like I said before, I've smoked my pipes like that for decades. No sour or wet smokes and no burnouts.
same here. I found if I clean the pipe including wiping it out after a smoke I can smoke it again a few hours later with no problems. If I don't wipe it out and smoke it anyways it eventually gets a little sour which is the easiest thing to fix. I think so many pipe rules extend from two major factors. One is that cheap pipes used to be worse (same thing with cheap wines, it's easier with technology to control without extra expense the quality of either), Even in the time I've been smoking burn out seems less common, like a lot less common (but people haven't changed that much so I assume the pipes have). The other thing is I think all the rules are presented in the most extreme form, knowing somebody is going to take the rule as a guideline, and then when someone ignores the rules they can't complain about the shoddy pipe you sold them if you ask if they smoked the pipe twice a day. That's my opinion on the whole boondoggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.