PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I have seen in here that most just wipe their meers out after smoking, no cake.

Elsewhere on the internet, a person "of great experience" and I am not doubting him, says to build a cake.

What say you?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Cake cracks meers. I have personally seen one that went from having a 3/4" chamber to having so much cake that you couldn't stick your pinky finger in there, and it cracked.
Meer smoking routine : smoke, dump, paper towel chamber, swab mouthpiece, let it cool, reload, smoke. If stuff builds up, I use a big plastic bottle brush to knock buildup loose or a 12 ga brush if it gets bad. Every now and then I wipe the chamber with alcohol but you have to let it dry completely before smoking again. Every few smokes I take the mouthpiece off and swab the mortise dry, in time that baccy juice will bind the teflon push-pull and it won't, well, push-pull ..... it'll either unscrew from the mortise or the mouthpiece, both situations are bad in the long run.
HTH

YMMV

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
No, No, No on cake. Fred Bass, the expert says no cake. I have been smoking Meers since the 70s and have never let them cake up. I have a 1892 J. Kaldenberg Cutty Meer and it did not have any cake when I bought it, and I am the second owner.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Personally no cake. I don't see why a VERY thin cake would be a problem, but I prefer none because that cake will hold a bit of ghost. When I smoke my meer I want to taste only the tobacco I put in it.

mikemacrdlnds

Dec 21, 2011
Here it is, a great smoker. It had no stem, Walker made a stem and a bone tenon for it.
img_0622-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.