PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Thanks for the comments all. I too would have liked to watch the meer color over time...

The fact that it's not the original stem becomes evident when you notice the extra space in the case below.
0GBqk9B.jpg

Although, it seems to be amber, or it looks like the amber I've seen for sale with bugs and whatnot trapped inside... milky fissures shown below, though perhaps I'm mistaken. Seems fragile as well with cracking throughout.
zoYgBYx.jpg

QwImVpe.jpg

The tenon was apparently contact cemented in the stem as was clogged with it, so I'd imagine it hasn't been used since the 'repair'. You can see some crumbs still on there... it pretty much fell out of the stem.
aO1RVLd.jpg

The bowl is very caked as you can see. You might have to turn up the brightness, and I haven't touched it yet.
zcSEhSz.jpg

I think it's actually a silver band by the way the tarnish disappeared when a sliver polishing cloth was used.
honFfzm.jpg

And the shank is literally pencil thin.
Eirh4g3.jpg

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
The tenon diameter is very small... maybe 1.5mm, so not sure it'd make sense to reuse it...
Interesting piece whatever it is. No other markings found outside of what is shown.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
After shining a light into it, I'm not sure the bowl is caked as much as just used. It seems the meer cap forms a conical bowl above the briar below, with a fairly large, relatively, space under it, like a small calabash type deal.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Stem appears to be amberoid. The interior cracks are indicative of that. The material would be period for the pipe. It's possible the stem was broken and a new bit was fashioned. The bit does look a bit slimmer than what I would expect.

If you do it carefully, starting with the bit that fits, you should be able to drill through the existing tenon out to at least the next size. I broke a few before I figured out the right technique. You have to use slow speed to work through it. I've had new bone tenons fitted by repair shops that were actually tighter than the original.

Having a new tortoise shell acrylic stem made to fit the case and a push stem would be a huge improvement for smoking.
The top pic looks like the screw in bowl is coated in amberoid. Is it?
Normally when the band is stamped Sterling, that's what it is.
Good looking pipe with a nice case!

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Okay. I take it back. I guess there is something that I don't like about that pipe. Namely, those fissures in the meer rim that seem to be running down the sides a bit. Is that a bit of chipping at the stem face? I ask because I'm thinking that may be the original stem. Possibly it was reattached after a break.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Thanks Tim and piffyr- I would definitely ask for a push tenon and new bit to be made, the amberoid or whatever it is pretty toasted. Would probably be easier for the repairman too. It very well may have been original and broken then reattached.It's a shadow you're seeing piffyr, although there is some chipping of the stem's face. As I mentioned, it pretty much fell apart around the tenon. I've also asked the seller for any information they have, but haven't heard back yet.

I don't think the bowl is coated, but can't say for sure - and it seems it's just superficial spider webbing.

The case is in great shape for it's age...looks new.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
How beautiful is that pipe? Congratulations sir. I bet that pipe could tell a few stories. Definately a pipe befitting a Victorian gentleman or an honest politician.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is like restoring an old oil painting. You want to do it with an extremely light touch. I wouldn't use any power tools of any kind. You might want to smoke it once or twice a year for the sheer joy of it, but never in rotation. It's a beautiful piece, but a collector's item, not a work horse.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Heard back from the seller - he didn't have anything except that it was purchased recently at an antique show in Pennsylvania.

Thanks for the comments Tom and Simon - it won't be a daily driver that's for sure, but I do buy them to smoke them!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Send it to Ric. He has a massive collection of brand new bone tenons I have given him over time. The stem is faux amber and the pipe was sort of modeled after a calabash or very primitive Falcon pipe. I have seen a couple of these over the years but they are usually missing their case so that one is quite a find. Let me know how it is when it comes back from Briarville.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Thanks Simon - I sent it to Ric today and will update here upon her return. Appreciate the comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.