PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Not exactly sure why, but I decided to lowball on a whim and the offer was accepted. Looks like Birmingham silver...Meerschaum topped briar? Either way it'll make a nice mantle piece if I decide not to smoke it... should clean up well though.
More photos HERE
s-l1600.jpg

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have never seen anything quite like that. Thanks for sharing.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
They are still made this way:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hilson-Pfeife-Champagne-Meerschaumeinsatz-Braun-826-/120953284967?hash=item1c2960a967:g:cHQAAOSwY45URgQq

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
No idea. The hallmarks just have an anchor and lion passant... no date letters. We'll see when it arrives... perhaps there are some markings not shown in the photos.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Thanks Dutch - that comment was made when I wasn't quite sure what it was...I doubt it'll end up on display.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Maybe another version of the replaceable screw in bowl. The stem is either celluloid or amberoid. Band looks like nickel to me. So the stamps will be faux.
I've seen that case logo before. My guess is that it's 1890s-1900s.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Mmm, was thinking it might be a screw-in. We shall see. Didn't think they could mark it 'sterling' if it isn't, but that might explain the lack of a date letter. We shall see. Thanks for the input!

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
There is nothing that I don't like about that pipe. Thumbs up, bonehed!

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Sorry, I didn't look at the ebay listing on the first go round. I'll add this: England doesn't mark silver "sterling". They just use hallmarks. "sterling" is an American mark. So I don't think the figure stamps mean anything.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Ah, thanks again! What little research I've done on it shows probable domestic manufacture...

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Interesting pipe indeed, styled obviously after the clay pipes of yore. Practically-speaking it makes no sense though, as one of the prime advantages of meer is its ability to wick moisture rather than trap it, and the most moisture accumulates at the bottom of the bowl.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah the meer cap is a novelty, but would be cool to watch it color and as someone who likes meers but prefers briars this appeals to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.