PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
Starting with the bowl. It’s a lost of soot dust. I don’t think I’ve taken it completely down into the wood.

I also started the spit and shine. It works, but it’s a lot of rubbing. I also had to stop as the rim seemed to be getting a little too wet. Seems to be working though. 1646616467

Reactions: python

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
OK. So I think I’ve cleaned enough for a while it’s time to disinfect the stumble. Good old salt bath never fails - at least not yet. While that is going I will turn my attention to the stem164681646916470

Reactions: python

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
What did I do? All I did was rub the stem with some isopropyl alcohol and all of a sudden it became textured and looks terrible. I am hoping this is simply some old wax or something that is trying to come off.16471

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What did I do? All I did was rub the stem with some isopropyl alcohol and all of a sudden it became textured and looks terrible. I am hoping this is simply some old wax or something that is trying to come off.View attachment 16471

Looks very similar to what happened with my Bertram restoration. Essentially the stem is made from a cheaper vulcanite. I had to sand it all down but once I did it shines up just as good as my other pipe stems.

Link

Last edited:
Reactions: AlabamaDan

AlabamaDan

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2019
Alabama
It started looking better with just some polishing with friction and a dry rag. I put it to the side for now. This is supposed to be fun. I didn’t want to get frustrated.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, alcohol is tricky, and unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't use it on pipes at all. I'm not sure if there is an antidote, maybe sanding, but only lightly, judiciously, but wait to hear from some with experience on this.

Reactions: AlabamaDan
Status
Not open for further replies.