Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
In case some are interested, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) put out some articles on vaping that may weigh heavily on future tobacco legislation. I am including them for you to review if interested.

Attachments

• jama_rubin_2024_mn_240047_1722622025.40265.pdf
    666.9 KB · Views: 20
  • jama_graham_2024_oi_240078_1722535583.99726 (1).pdf
    432.9 KB · Views: 8
Aug 1, 2012
USA
In case some are interested, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) put out some articles on vaping that may weigh heavily on future tobacco legislation. I am including them for you to review if interested.
Thank you. I read them but I'm a bit lost. Can you give me the quick and dirty from your point of view please?

GardenStateoftheArtBriar

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2024
New Jersey
I knew it was a sad thing when the industries introduced and accepted these liquid e-cig type vapes as a recognizable adjunct to 'smoking' - it's kind of pathetic - and I feel people who use those things don't even know what they are inhaling. They look stupid too
I used to use the real Vape(a loose leaf vaporizer) way back in 2007 for herbs and sometimes tobacco - but these 'juice' coils are ridiculous and an insult to intelligence, society, and real smokers alike!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I knew it was a sad thing when the industries introduced and accepted these liquid e-cig type vapes as a recognizable adjunct to 'smoking' - it's kind of pathetic - and I feel people who use those things don't even know what they are inhaling. They look stupid too
I used to use the real Vape(a loose leaf vaporizer) way back in 2007 for herbs and sometimes tobacco - but these 'juice' coils are ridiculous and an insult to intelligence, society, and real smokers alike!
Well said, I wholeheartedly undersign to Your statement here, Merci monsieur.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Thanks for sharing Doc.

Re:Rubin-
A) replacement is not “quitting” anything. E-cigs are just a less stinky, more convenient, and stealthier (easier for users to hide usage from parents, etc) way for addicts to get their fix. Think methadone/subox “treatment” and its failure to make a dent in our giant opioid problem.
B) I’m more concerned about the modality as a method to deliver substances other than nicotine (mind altering, both (now in many locales) legal and illicit.
Lots of posturing about “flavors” in an attempt to sway the masses that the powers that be are making strides “for the children” so we don’t notice that they are as deep in bed with the big money producers as ever.

Graham-while very clinically and scientifically correct, I find recruiting through social media of 8-12th grade self proclaimed and self reported perceptions about their addiction and usage spurious at best.
Looks like grant money and peer presence at its finest. The inclusion of gender identity and sexual orientation alarms me, and I’ll leave that at that.

@GardenStateoftheArtBriar-as a 60pk/yr smoker that switched to nic-laden PG quite a few years ago, all I know is that I’m glad I did. I can’t roll a vape up in my cool-guy tshirt sleeve like a deck of squares, but I’m not out to impress anyone that I’m a real smoker. Technology changes things, or we wouldn’t be enamored with all our pipe tobacco varieties let alone have out obsession with high dollar briar (and other) instruments, and would be still sucking smoldering piles of nic. rustica and other herbs through reeds off of rocks😉

Just some thoughts of mine…

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Thank you. I read them but I'm a bit lost. Can you give me the quick and dirty from your point of view please?
They are trying to attack tobacco through flavors and teen use. If they convince lawmakers it is hurting teenagers, legislation will be passed which will likely include pipe tobacco as it has "flavoring".

Otherwise, I am not trying to make any statements or provide any medical advice here. I am just in a position to hear about these things and wanted to pass it on to anyone who is interested so that they may be aware what the medical community is discussing and make their own opinions based upon actual raw research papers before they are filtered through politicians and the press.

Aug 1, 2012
USA
They are trying to attack tobacco through flavors and teen use. If they convince lawmakers it is hurting teenagers, legislation will be passed which will likely include pipe tobacco as it has "flavoring".

Otherwise, I am not trying to make any statements or provide any medical advice here. I am just in a position to hear about these things and wanted to pass it on to anyone who is interested so that they may be aware what the medical community is discussing and make their own opinions based upon actual raw research papers before they are filtered through politicians and the press.
Thanks for that. Sadly I'm not surprised.

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I like the unconscious ritual of the tobacco pipe, along with tobacco flavors and nicotine.

I have, somewhere, an early vape from the 2000s cunningly disguised as a cigarette with a glowing tip - might be green, though, I'll have to dig it out. With refills, in a black flip-top plastic cig-style box. It's an historic relic, really.

GardenStateoftheArtBriar

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2024
New Jersey
I like the unconscious ritual of the tobacco pipe, along with tobacco flavors and nicotine.

I have, somewhere, an early vape from the 2000s cunningly disguised as a cigarette with a glowing tip - might be green, though, I'll have to dig it out. With refills, in a black flip-top plastic cig-style box. It's an historic relic, really.
ahh the glowing tip -

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I think the most ridiculous thing about vaping is that many of the younger generation are using vape juice with no nicotene.....0%!!
They just think "blowing fat clouds" is cool. My 17 year old nephew and his friends do this.....with NO nicotene.
His mother, my niece, is fine with it because there is no nicotene....and she is a registered nurse.
Honestly, the nicotene may be the least dangerous chemical in vape juice. In moderation nicotene can be quite safe and even helpful.

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I think the most ridiculous thing about vaping is that many of the younger generation are using vape juice with no nicotene.....0%!!
They just think "blowing fat clouds" is cool. My 17 year old nephew and his friends do this.....with NO nicotene.
His mother, my niece, is fine with it because there is no nicotene....and she is a registered nurse.
Honestly, the nicotene may be the least dangerous chemical in vape juice. In moderation nicotene can be quite safe and even helpful.

My stepson was doing it, the no nicotine thing. It really is intresting stuff. Why would they do that?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
img_6785.jpg