PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Peers and advertising.

Medical grade perhaps, properly administered.
Most of the nicotine used in vapes is very cheap Chinese nicotine.
Unless a company specifically says they are using quality made S-nicotine(synthetic) it is probably very low quality, high impurity Chinese made S-nicotine, which has been found to have a lot of undesirable chemicals.
The "good" stuff is used in nicotine gums and patches, as well as some treatments for Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia.....and "good" vape juice made NOT in China.
BUT, some studies have found that even nicotine from smoking tobacco can have positive effects on cognition, anxiety and depression. As well it can be a mild hunger suppressant for some eating disorders.
The point is, nicotine, in the amount used, is not the most dangerous chemical in poorly made vape juice. Some of the chemicals used for nicotine delivery in bad vape juice are FAR more dangerous than the nicotine.
A decade ago a friend of mine opened a vape shop when vaping was just getting popular. He did a LOT of research and still does, pure S-nicotine is no joke. One mistake in handling or mixing and you could be dead. Most hospitals do not have the resources for a massive nicotine overdose. There are more hospitals ready for it now than 10 years ago,but most still don't know what to do. You do not have long, and may not make it out of the vape shop....its that deadly.
A decade ago when my friend started his shop, it was like the wild west. A bunch of novices trying to master mixing dangerous chemicals with absolutely zero training and no oversight. :)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Why don't they ever go after teen drinking like they do teen smoking? Both alcohol and caffeine. At least smokers kill themselves with a full knowledge it will do definite harm. Smoking doesn't go head on collision with on coming traffic.

rmcnabb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2024
If you ain't buyin', you ain't tryin'. Stock up. Pounds and pounds. Look at the prices in Canada where a tin of tobacco can cost $75. I aim to build a cellar of about 2 - 3 pounds a year for all the years I can expect to have left which is probably 35 years.

Last edited:

rmcnabb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2024
Why don't they ever go after teen drinking like they do teen smoking? Both alcohol and caffeine. At least smokers kill themselves with a full knowledge it will do definite harm. Smoking doesn't go head on collision with on coming traffic.

I think they have? Isn't the legal drinking age 21 in most places in the US? And much of the concern about smoking is the enormous downstream health care costs associated with cigarette smoking - which are vast, vast nearly beyond comprehension. As America moves inexorably toward a single payer healthcare model the government is going to foot the bill more and more. That being said, I think freedom is more important than safety and sugar and obesity (i.e.: type 2 diabetes) are probably an even greater cost but I haven't tried to find any hard numbers.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I think they have? Isn't the legal drinking age 21 in most places in the US? And much of the concern about smoking is the enormous downstream health care costs associated with cigarette smoking - which are vast, vast nearly beyond comprehension. As America moves inexorably toward a single payer healthcare model the government is going to foot the bill more and more. That being said, I think freedom is more important than safety and sugar and obesity (i.e.: type 2 diabetes) are probably an even greater cost but I haven't tried to find any hard numbers.
Living is expensive. Underage drinking is rampant. Who waits till 21 to drink? It's like saying min age for smoking is 21. Freedom is definitely more important.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think the most ridiculous thing about vaping is that many of the younger generation are using vape juice with no nicotene.....0%!!
They just think "blowing fat clouds" is cool. My 17 year old nephew and his friends do this.....with NO nicotene.
His mother, my niece, is fine with it because there is no nicotene....and she is a registered nurse.
Honestly, the nicotene may be the least dangerous chemical in vape juice. In moderation nicotene can be quite safe and even helpful.
nicotine is barely dangerous by itself. Slight increase in blood pressure. The worst thing is it's really addictive to some.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY

nicotine is barely dangerous by itself. Slight increase in blood pressure. The worst thing is it's really addictive to some.
The liquid nicotine they make vape juice with like I was talking about in a previous post can be very fatal, very quickly.
The liquid nicotine contains 100mg/mil of nicotine.
50 mg of nicotine can be fatal.....so, 1/2 of a milliliter can kill you.
For the guys mixing the stuff in these vape shops, they need to be very careful.
Back in 2013 when my friend opened his vape shop, there was very little oversight or regulations on liquid nicotine. Back then many of these guys didn't wear gloves, eye protection or a mask. Now most of them do. 1/2 of a milliliter isn't much, and when you're working with a gallon jug, things can go wrong. Just cleaning up a spill without gloves could be fatal from absorption.
Luckily, you would need to smoke a lot of tobacco to kill yourself. But people do get nicotine poisoning just from smoking too much tobacco.

Reactions: FLDRD

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The liquid nicotine they make vape juice with like I was talking about in a previous post can be very fatal, very quickly.
The liquid nicotine contains 100mg/mil of nicotine.
50 mg of nicotine can be fatal.....so, 1/2 of a milliliter can kill you.
For the guys mixing the stuff in these vape shops, they need to be very careful.
Back in 2013 when my friend opened his vape shop, there was very little oversight or regulations on liquid nicotine. Back then many of these guys didn't wear gloves, eye protection or a mask. Now most of them do. 1/2 of a milliliter isn't much, and when you're working with a gallon jug, things can go wrong. Just cleaning up a spill without gloves could be fatal from absorption.
Luckily, you would need to smoke a lot of tobacco to kill yourself. But people do get nicotine poisoning just from smoking too much tobacco.
yeah i was thinking on the consumer end. Fun fact cafiene is deadly in the same way.

Reactions: Sig

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I remember an episode of Quincy, M.E. aeons ago, something about a toddler who was found to have been poisoned by nicotine by repeatedly getting into an ashtray and putting cigarette butts into his mouth and sucking on them.

When they're trying to outlaw flavored tobaccos, we should insist on them also outlawing flavored alcohols. Reason being: the unfortunate number of teen-drinking traffic deaths, especially during graduation season. That ought to make it much harder to pass.

Reactions: Kobold

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
yeah i was thinking on the consumer end. Fun fact cafiene is deadly in the same way.
After many years of drinking caffeine I realized it made me sick. Just a general nasty feeling all over.
After some research, I stopped caffeine 100% about 5 years ago.
Never felt better the last 5 years and I really don't miss it.

estate_cob

Lurker
Jun 21, 2024
Albany, NY
Much of the added cost from someone smoking cigarettes isn't the health care they purchase when they are dying. Most dying patients accrue a lot of health care costs, even if not from smoking-related cancers or COPD. Smokers just live less long.

The real driver of the economic burden of smoking as measured by public health agencies is the lost life years quantified in terms of willingness-to-pay. No one actually spends that. It's just imputed as a cost to smokers: how much would that extra 10 years of life have been worth to them?