PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Try Meistermischung #88, Ascanian #1 and/or #2, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake (when it gets back in stock), HU EdwardG, Louisiana Broken Flake, and since you like some burley in your Virginia, try HU Nashville County. Most of these have some Perique in them. The Meistermischung doesn't, nor does the Gawith Full Virginia Flake.
You've been bit by the infamous MacBite. Revisit it in 6 to 7 years and the bit should be gone.

Reactions: Casual and OzPiper

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
I'll add my standards here. Don't dry Virginia's out, unless they really need it. IMO dry Virginia's are harsh and they lose their subtleties, and burn hotter. MacB no.1 should be perfect to smoke without drying. There are exceptions. Especially in a meer though, dont dry tobacco out...I really don't know why that's become so popular ??

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I'll add my standards here. Don't dry Virginia's out, unless they really need it. IMO dry Virginia's are harsh and they lose their subtleties, and burn hotter. MacB no.1 should be perfect to smoke without drying. There are exceptions. Especially in a meer though, dont dry tobacco out...I really don't know why that's become so popular ??
Because it’s the moisture that “steams” the tongue!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
which is oddly the opposite experience I've had. I find dried virginias more nuanced and less bite prone. You just have to take it slowly. Which is why they can get bad is when they're dry they can really catch fire. When you get the hang of dry though it's easier to control. For example you barely need the flame to be drawn toward the tobacco for it to combust perfectly.

Reactions: edger

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
This might sound very preliminary; i've been trying a tobacco which is full Virginia (mac baren virginia no1.) and I have the strange feeling me and full Virginia tobacco will never ever be friends. I'm smoking this in a meer (also tried a cob, same result), packed like any other tobacco, tobacco is bone dry (I dont think it can be drier), smoked like any other tobacco (so on the verge of going out, monitoring the temperature of the pipe) and tamp when the ash get "flaky". I do get some moisture at the halfway point making the smoke taste foul. Before this point taste is subpar to what I would prefer. I only get this when smoking 100% Virginia tobacco, blends which contain Virginia are all good where I get the best results when mixed with a Burley tobacco.

You might wonder why the hell I would smoke tobacco which I don't like, but I like to vary as much as possible and if I smell the tin or pouch note I really like it, I also really want to like full Virginia tobacco. Maybe this tobacco is not the benchmark what a full Virginia tobacco is or should be, your recommendations are much appreciated. Seeing my location I'm only able to buy in the EU (Estervals for example), I can't get any US blends (GLP or C&D for example).
Funny, I had this same thought last night. They just don't have the flavor profile that I'm looking for. And at this point I don't care about the reason - maybe the way I'm smoking etc. I pack and smoke how I smoke. If it doesn't speak to me it doesn't speak to me. I'm done chasing for now. I have a handful of blends that match me and I'm fine with that. There also are few I think I'd buy to try. Id like to try Black Frigate, also McClelland Yenidje if I can find and afford some. Other than that, don't think I'll be buying outside my go tos for a while.

Reactions: UncleRasta

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
In my limited experience, only starting to appreciate Virginias the last 3-4 months or so, is that they are finicky, but can be worth it.

What do you mean the taste is subpar, subpar compared with...what?

They won't hit you in the face like Perique, Dark Fired Kentucky, Orientals or Latakia. If that's what you're after, and it is acceptable, then it's a matter of preference. Don't read too much into the rhetoric that you need a few centuries of pipe smoking under your belt to appreciate (or taste) Virginia or aromatics, simply not true. You need to readjust your expectations, but the taste is there.

Press it, steam it, marry it with Perique and Kentucky and it works wonders!

Let’s not forget Stoving. :) - @DanWil84
—————————————-

Heat oven to use 190F

Place tobacco you want to stove in a jar.

Take a sheet of aluminum foil and use that in place of the jar lid. (this is so that the jar won't blow under pressure from heating, as the foil doesn't seal)

Screw ring down over aluminum foil.

Place jar in oven for whatever amount of time you wish. Most folks will stove somewhere between 2-4 hours.

Remove jar from oven and with an oven mitt or some other heat resistant aid, unscrew the trim ring.

Quickly replace the foil with the jar lid and screw down tight. It's important to do this as fast as possible so as not to allow all the humidity that has built up in the jar to escape.

Allow the tobacco to set for at least 24 hours before opening so that it can re-absorb the moisture that was driven out with the heat. Some recommend at least a week before opening to fully equalize and let the tobacco settle down.

P.S. If anyone has any better stoving methods, please share.

Reactions: karam

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a burley devotee but have slowly come to appreciate Virginias and Va/Pers, as a change of pace and a regular part of my rotation. They have a lot of nuance on their own, and do excellently as a condiment to burley and in the vast array of English blends. It sounds like you're trying too hard, but you have the right idea with Virginia and burley mixed blends, and some unflavored black Cavendish makes a good third component. Don't push yourself, and I think you'll come around to enjoying Virginia leaf in your own way. I did.

Reactions: UncleRasta

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Everyone's different when it comes to moisture level. I know what you mean. If you dry the tobacco too long, they do turn harsh. But, there is a certain point where dryness brings out the best in tobacco, at least pipe tobacco. And Va is very forgiving with that range. Crisp around the edge works great for me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I really don't know why that's become so popular
Because it works. I get a lot more nuances in Virginia blends when they're dried to just shy of bone dry than I do straight from the tin. I don't dry them out completely. There's more intense flavor in a reduction than in a thin broth.

There are exceptions. Doblone d'Oro doesn't need any drying. D&R blends need no drying. Most of the H&H blends need little to no drying because they're tinned at the optimum moisture. On the flip side, Samuel Gawith blends are sopping wet.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Because it works. I get a lot more nuances in Virginia blends when they're dried to just shy of bone dry than I do straight from the tin. I don't dry them out completely. There's more intense flavor in a reduction than in a thin broth.

There are exceptions. Doblone d'Oro doesn't need any drying. D&R blends need no drying. Most of the H&H blends need little to no drying because they're tinned at the optimum moisture. On the flip side, Samuel Gawith blends are sopping wet.
What's funny is I didn't really like Doblone too much until I let it get insanely dry. Now it just smokes wonderfully. It could all be in my head but it seems coins and flakes don't lose too much when dried to a fragile state.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What's funny is I didn't really like Doblone too much until I let it get insanely dry. Now it just smokes wonderfully. It could all be in my head but it seems coins and flakes don't lose too much when dried to a fragile state.
It's whatever works for you. I didn't start out drying my tobaccos. I just loaded them up straight from the tin or pouch without questioning it. Over the years I started experimenting with different moisture levels and found that, in general, Virginias provided many more flavors when dried down. Doblone d'Oro has much more going on in it than Virginia, so it may do fine when crisp. I find it's good as tinned.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
It's whatever works for you. I didn't start out drying my tobaccos. I just loaded them up straight from the tin or pouch without questioning it. Over the years I started experimenting with different moisture levels and found that, in general, Virginias provided many more flavors when dried down. Doblone d'Oro has much more going on in it than Virginia, so it may do fine when crisp. I find it's good as tinned.
I've only had one tin and at the start it got weirdly funky at times. Like road tar funky. No idea if the drying has much to do with not getting that effect but it's much more enjoyable when it doesn't suddenly get weird and the drying hasn't seemed to harm any of it's other qualities. I used to religiously avoid drying tobacco until I did it by accident and found it smokes more agreeably for me. I don't really dry it though except for cracking a tin and waiting a week before smoking it. More accurately I don't stop it from drying.
But certain aromatics and VAs seem to agree the most with drying. What aros? Ones that have surprisingly good tobacco that is nearly 100 percent obscured by topping.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've only had one tin and at the start it got weirdly funky at times. Like road tar funky. No idea if the drying has much to do with not getting that effect but it's much more enjoyable when it doesn't suddenly get weird and the drying hasn't seemed to harm any of it's other qualities. I used to religiously avoid drying tobacco until I did it by accident and found it smokes more agreeably for me. I don't really dry it though except for cracking a tin and waiting a week before smoking it. More accurately I don't stop it from drying.
But certain aromatics and VAs seem to agree the most with drying. What aros? Ones that have surprisingly good tobacco that is nearly 100 percent obscured by topping.
Unfortunately, Doblone 'Oro is another blend that has been fucked with changed in recent years. It's not the Three Nuns clone that it once was. If you ever get a chance to smoke a tin from 2014-2015 you will find it a different smoking experience than the current product.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Unfortunately, Doblone 'Oro is another blend that has been fucked with changed in recent years. It's not the Three Nuns clone that it once was. If you ever get a chance to smoke a tin from 2014-2015 you will find it a different smoking experience than the current product.
That's certainly how these things work. As long as it's not ruined I can live with it. Like when Drum changed hands. It became unsmokable and the worst part is it wasn't the tobacco but the papers. But gosh darn if I buy rolling tobacco I shouldn't have to buy decent papers unless it just doesn't come with them.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Virginia tobacco Burns very hot. If you don't dry it some reasonable amount, steam will be generated when you smoke it causing some bite. I probably smoke mine a bit wetter than most but I almost always pop a tin and let it sit a week or two before smoking it. If you prefer yours without crying, have a happy. But I think you'd enjoy it more by drying it out a reasonable amount.

Reactions: edger

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I too have found that Virginias tend to get a bit foul when wet, but pack very loose, and slow down so far that you think you're backing up.
The Mac V1 is a bit bitey, but if you have a P'lip, that can be easily avoided.