PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
This might sound very preliminary; i've been trying a tobacco which is full Virginia (mac baren virginia no1.) and I have the strange feeling me and full Virginia tobacco will never ever be friends. I'm smoking this in a meer (also tried a cob, same result), packed like any other tobacco, tobacco is bone dry (I dont think it can be drier), smoked like any other tobacco (so on the verge of going out, monitoring the temperature of the pipe) and tamp when the ash get "flaky". I do get some moisture at the halfway point making the smoke taste foul. Before this point taste is subpar to what I would prefer. I only get this when smoking 100% Virginia tobacco, blends which contain Virginia are all good where I get the best results when mixed with a Burley tobacco.

You might wonder why the hell I would smoke tobacco which I don't like, but I like to vary as much as possible and if I smell the tin or pouch note I really like it, I also really want to like full Virginia tobacco. Maybe this tobacco is not the benchmark what a full Virginia tobacco is or should be, your recommendations are much appreciated. Seeing my location I'm only able to buy in the EU (Estervals for example), I can't get any US blends (GLP or C&D for example).

This might sound very preliminary; i've been trying a tobacco which is full Virginia (mac baren virginia no1.) and I have the strange feeling me and full Virginia tobacco will never ever be friends. I'm smoking this in a meer (also tried a cob, same result), packed like any other tobacco, tobacco is bone dry (I dont think it can be drier), smoked like any other tobacco (so on the verge of going out, monitoring the temperature of the pipe) and tamp when the ash get "flaky". I do get some moisture at the halfway point making the smoke taste foul. Before this point taste is subpar to what I would prefer. I only get this when smoking 100% Virginia tobacco, blends which contain Virginia are all good where I get the best results when mixed with a Burley tobacco.

You might wonder why the hell I would smoke tobacco which I don't like, but I like to vary as much as possible and if I smell the tin or pouch note I really like it, I also really want to like full Virginia tobacco. Maybe this tobacco is not the benchmark what a full Virginia tobacco is or should be, your recommendations are much appreciated. Seeing my location I'm only able to buy in the EU (Estervals for example), I can't get any US blends (GLP or C&D for example).
It's funny, the more people keep saying that things like Virginias are for the more experienced smoker, the faster newbies flock to it. I did too.
I found VA#1 to be more like a mouthful of yellow jackets, bitey as hell. I attribute that to the casing used, which is a honey based casing with something else that I have yet to identify. Even aged, VA #1 is not a favorite.

Maybe try a more mellow, better rounded Virginia, like Capstan Blue or Orlik Golden Slices. Stokkebyes Luxury Twist Flake is a pressed cavendish with a casing of coconut that i really like from time to time also.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
In my limited experience, only starting to appreciate Virginias the last 3-4 months or so, is that they are finicky, but can be worth it.

What do you mean the taste is subpar, subpar compared with...what?

They won't hit you in the face like Perique, Dark Fired Kentucky, Orientals or Latakia. If that's what you're after, and it is acceptable, then it's a matter of preference. Don't read too much into the rhetoric that you need a few centuries of pipe smoking under your belt to appreciate (or taste) Virginia or aromatics, simply not true. You need to readjust your expectations, but the taste is there.

Press it, steam it, marry it with Perique and Kentucky and it works wonders!

Jun 23, 2019
It's funny, the more people keep saying that things like Virginias are for the more experienced smoker, the faster newbies flock to it. I did too.
I found VA#1 to be more like a mouthful of yellow jackets, bitey as hell. I attribute that to the casing used, which is a honey based casing with something else that I have yet to identify. Even aged, VA #1 is not a favorite.

Maybe try a more mellow, better rounded Virginia, like Capstan Blue or Orlik Golden Slices. Stokkebyes Luxury Twist Flake is a pressed cavendish with a casing of coconut that i really like from time to time also.

This precisely. Virginias just take a little time and technique to really work up to them.

- - -

To OP -

Don't be discourage, stick with it or take a break, whatever works for you. Come back to it in a while after you're more practiced and I'm sure you'll slowly notice their sugary greatness.

A tip that really helped me when I started out was: dry it longer, pack it lighter, and smoke it slower. Whatever you think those adjectives mean, double down.

Maybe even give a light Va/Per a go first, that could be another place to start with virginia blends.

LongHairDontCare

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2021
I love Virginia’s, and Va/Pers. Of all the MacBaren Virginia’s I’ve tried, I just haven’t liked any of them. I haven’t tried that one in particular, but something about their straight Virginia’s just doesn’t work for me, maybe just a PH thing. I’d have to agree with everyone else, and say try a different Va from someone else. Maybe the Peterson Flake, or the Stokkebye flakes are available in Europe? Or even Orlik Golden Sliced, I believe would be a good place to try a different Va.

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
That's just the way Mac Baren tobaccos are. The only one I really like is their Navy Flake but even with that one there are a lot of better alternatives, the rest of Mac Baren's lineup ranges from smoking a hornets nest to tobacco-shaped dreck.

As mentioned above Capstan and Hamborger Veermeister are both good, I've got several tins of HV aging away in the cellar. Both McConnell and Rattray have a bunch of good flavorful virginias as well, I'm partial to the McConnell Red Virginia and Scottish Cake (technically a Virginia/Perique blend), and Rattray's Marlin Flake which has just a smidgeon of perique.