Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So dog turds in a can labeled McClelland is fine with you? Because you're not getting McClelland in that tin. Another solution would be to buy some empty tins, steam off the label, and glue it onto whatever you have at hand. It would amount to the same thing. What you don't understand is just how much processing went on, and how it varied from batch to batch, and the the eye on that was Mike McNeill. No Mike, no match.
And Amen.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Okay so the leaves they used were high quality and they used unique processes I get that.

At the same time I'd rather have some sort of Bengal Slices or Three Nuns or Nightcap or Early Morning Pipe than none at all.

I mean you can still get John Lennon songs even if sung by another singer. Maybe it is not so good but you can still experience some version of it. But I get it people have different views. Maybe one's view is affected by whether they got to smoke McClellands or not.
Then smoke Sutliff 515C or whatever it is called because that's essentially what you asked for with your post. There are many blends out there that don't even resemble the original. Having the same name on the tin doesn't mean squat.

Or dig deep in your wallet and buy some mcclelland on the secondary market if it's that crucial to you.

Last edited:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
They closed shop and took their ball with them. Mike McNiel never had an apprentice because he didn't want one. Creating someone's proprietary blend is damn near impossible. They did something unique to the tobacco and no one has figured it out yet. This comment is true of all pipe tobacco blenders. Those that have sold blends have watched them be butchered by others. Tobaccos were Mike and Mary's children and they didn't want to go thru that.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Okay so the leaves they used were high quality and they used unique processes I get that.

At the same time I'd rather have some sort of Bengal Slices or Three Nuns or Nightcap or Early Morning Pipe than none at all.

I mean you can still get John Lennon songs even if sung by another singer. Maybe it is not so good but you can still experience some version of it. But I get it people have different views. Maybe one's view is affected by whether they got to smoke McClellands or not.
So basically you would like to see brands/recipes alive past their original make up, kind of like a smoking equivalent of a whole lot of Beatles cover bands?

There are great blenders out there, doing their own thing with the leaf they have available right now.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I don't know that that's a good analogy for this scenario. Inputs, processes, techniques, etc. can be reproduced reliably. Sure, artistry is needed to create a blend in the first place, but after that it can be repeated indefinitely. The only way it dies at some point is if the knowledge is taken to the grave. What a shame.

This this and exactly this. While the touch of the artist has passed into retirement, the processes can be documented. Not saying McClelland blends can be reproduced exactly, but it's kind of like the million monkeys pounding on typewriters for millions and millions of years. Eventually, some monkey is going to write Taming of the Shrew... almost.... excepting a couple misspellings because it's a monkey.

And who cares whether it's called McClelland, McClellan, or McLemore? Call it Brand X, source and ferment some quality leaf, and never reference where the tech came from. Simple.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This this and exactly this. While the touch of the artist has passed into retirement, the processes can be documented. Not saying McClelland blends can be reproduced exactly, but it's kind of like the million monkeys pounding on typewriters for millions and millions of years. Eventually, some monkey is going to write Taming of the Shrew... almost.... excepting a couple misspellings because it's a monkey.

And who cares whether it's called McClelland, McClellan, or McLemore? Call it Brand X, source and ferment some quality leaf, and never reference where the tech came from. Simple.
Where is the special red virginia leaf going to come from?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Lots of accurate info in this thread. I will add a few things that I have heard Mike say multiple times. Mike attributes much of McClelland's survival and success to their ability to source top quality leaf from large tobacco companies who sold to them only because of their relationship. He doubted that any of McClelland's suitors could maintain those relationships and would be forced to use lower quality leaf. Mike did just about everything himself, so there was no one who knew their processes. Mike had absolutely no interest in working a year or more to train someone else. Finally, their equipment was antiquated in terms of safety. He is convinced finding else would cut off their hand using their cutter.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's what I'm not understanding. Imagine if scientists at the top of their field didn't bother to mentor the next generation and never published their research. Sure, they may go down as legends in their field, but they didn't help advance anything.
Not even comparable, it's just tobacco. For the most part fans were ridiculed for loving ketchup and when it was gone suddenly it was the second coming. Christmas Cheer was discontinued two years before they closed their doors and some of their Oriental blends fell off the map even longer before. All the signs were there that they were going under and those that enjoyed their products bought what they could while they could. Now we just shop for other blends.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Not even comparable, it's just tobacco. For the most part fans were ridiculed for loving ketchup and when it was gone suddenly it was the second coming. Christmas Cheer was discontinued two years before they closed their doors and some of their Oriental blends fell off the map even longer before. All the signs were there that they were going under and those that enjoyed their products bought what they could while they could. Now we just shop for other blends.
Exactly. Go back in the forums 5 to 6 years and see what the praise for McClelland was like then.

Status
Not open for further replies.