PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Mike didn’t want any videos of his process...I asked a few times and as recently as January to film or even have him film the layout.
He did want to share these videos to quell some of the questions regarding tobacco leaf and he processes surrounding how leaf is harvested.

I’ll share exactly what he said - and if you’ve already watched...watch again
Yes, please share!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I wish the McNiel's a great retirement and thank you for the years of providing great products. You will be missed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
He did want to share these videos to quell some of the questions regarding tobacco leaf and he processes surrounding how leaf is harvested.

I’ll share exactly what he said - and if you’ve already watched...watch again
Link, please!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have little to add. I am happy for them if they are doing what they want to do. They deserve it. I am sad for them if it's really just the stress of the FDA making them tired. And I am heartbroken that my favorite Virginia tobaccos will all be gone. RIP you beautiful tobacco house.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Sorry thought I added links

“Old Good Days”

https://youtu.be/T85SKQqjCgE
“Today bad days”

https://youtu.be/HTG-Ljv67c4
“Look at the hogsheads - the way it used to be done...post that”

https://youtu.be/TQnQbGbDj5g

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
McClelland closing down? That's bad news. The good news is there are still over 1000 blends I've never tried! Guess it's time to get busy...
Cheers,
Chili

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I want to thank harris for telling us years ago that if you like a pipe tobacco or company buy as much as you can afford cause they won't be around forever. Thanks again harris.

You know, I think that if we did see a recipe that would makes something as complex as McClelland Aurora or Guillotine Slices, I think that because of the idea that blending tobaccos is just mixing different leaf together, that 99.9% of the people that would lay eyes on it, would have no idea what they were looking at. In fact, we all could be looking at their recipe right now, and just have no idea at all. :puffy:

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Jorge

There will be one on the broadcast tonight

Also Mike did tell folks whom he thought could get the word out to do so. Some may not like it but there are no official rules on official statements for small family run operations

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Mary gave me permission to post the statement at the top of this thread. They have a lot on their minds right now, it has to be overwhelming. But I can tell you that they are very appreciative of the folks out there who have enjoyed their blends over these past 40 years.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
Yes the radio show
Just called Uhles in Milwaukee

414-273-6665

40th 3 100 g

Deep Hollow 1 50g 1 100g

Frogs 3 50g 3 100g

FCell 2 50g 1 100g

FTown 4 50g 4 100g

FBayou 2 50g 3 100g

Butera Dark Stoved 1 tin

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Meanwhile, over at eBay, a tin of Dark Star (link) can be had for $125.
charlie-brown2.jpg

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
Yes, but that tin is from 2014. The price is justified even if McClelland were still open for business.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
LMFAO! hey at least its from 2014. There are plenty of dark star tins out there.
Wanting and selling are different things, let the market decide. Start Auction at $15 and let it ride.

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
It's a real shame, I only started having the money to do a cellar about two years ago, I really like Tudor Castle so I'm sad to see that go but I did also get several of their other blends on recommendations from here. I'll probably keep my two tins of Dark Star for quite a few years (maybe open it on my 50 Birthday, around 12 years from now). I also take the mantra of buying tobacco over pipes, I wish them both well and hope they have many years ahead of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.