PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I sometimes wonder if these found in the warehouse are actually old stock from other stores that went out of business.
Wouldn't know about that, but there are a few people who bought out the stock of extinct tobacconists. There's a pair of guys who show up at the WCPS, and I think Chicago as well, who always bring something to share from their stash. I got to smoke some wondrous Edgeworth RR from a '60's era tub that opened with an amazing whoosh when the churchkey was applied. The blend was really rich and lively.
The closest I ever got to that was when the owner of the Cigar Warehouse in Sherman Oaks sold me a bunch of his stock before he sold the business, and because I'd been a steady customer for many years, and he used to ask me questions about old Britwood, offered me everything at a 30% discount from the original sticker price. That's how I ended up with a bunch of mid '90's era Rattray's, as well as old tins of Acadian Perique, Vintage Syrian, various McClellands, and other odds and ends. People weren't buying pipe tobacco, just cigars, and a lot of the stock had been sitting on the shelves for decades.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
20 years from now, I'll be enjoying my $16 tins of the 40th, since I bought 35 of them, and I can guarantee that i won't regret the $16 per tin that I spent on those either. Can't say as I'm regretting it now. ?
Same.

You must of gotten a great deal. I remember paying $25 at SP and TP.
At the release date and following two drops they were $16 at SPC with a discount at 10 tins. I bought 10 at each of those drops. Definitely good but not good enough to pull more than $20/tin out of me.

20210619_021912.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You're making me sadder I didn't buy 100 tins.
Sorry about that.

There was a fellow I knew who bought 200 tins of it. He was going to use them as inducements with his eBay auctions, winner gets a "free" tin. We were both aware that McClelland was shutting down. This was before FOMO level pricing, which is what this recent sale was.

The 40th was one of the smallest releases, since there was only going to be one batch made of it. One of the best reds McClelland ever made. In a few years that $100 will feel like a bargain price.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Im a firm believer that something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. There are some circumstances where price gouging could be considered wrong but by that definition pipe tobacco could never fall into that category. Its not a necessity like food or water is after a hurricane.

But this sale isn't really anything to get excited about because if you're already willing to pay $100 for a tin of Mclellands, as I have done before btw, then its actually not that hard to find on the secondary market right now.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Iwan Ries does something that is pretty cool. If you set up a notification for something you want that's not in stock, they will actually hold that tobacco for you for several days when it does show up. It may be some time before your position in the queue get you to the front, but when it happens it means something.
Yes, they are awesome. I came up on one and checked out with the card in file but it happened to be expired. Instead of sending me and OOS notice they sent an email with the error and to give them a call to correct it. Very respectable establishment as they could have easily sold it to someone else. I often shop there it's a bit more but absolutely worth it for me.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, they are awesome. I came up on one and checked out with the card in file but it happened to be expired. Instead of sending me and OOS notice they sent an email with the error and to give them a call to correct it. Very respectable establishment as they could have easily sold it to someone else. I often shop there it's a bit more but absolutely worth it for me.
Wow. Pipes and Cigars sends out catalogs to everyone and their mothers but they cancel orders without even having someone reach out. I guess it’s too expensive to hire a phone operator.

I’ve called Iwan Ries before and the guy on the phone was super friendly.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Wow. Pipes and Cigars sends out catalogs to everyone and their mothers but they cancel orders without even having someone reach out. I guess it’s too expensive to hire a phone operator.

I’ve called Iwan Ries before and the guy on the phone was super friendly.
I want to say the the man I spoke and emailed with at Iwan Ries was the manager, understanding and a kind man. I have had less than desirable interactions with one place so far, where I had called in an order and they were rude and the interaction felt rushed as if my 100gr order was petty. Needless to say, I am not going to be a return customer, nor am I very fond of thier blends as they are bitey to me.

I have not had any issues with P&C other than poor packaging, which was greatly improved on my last interaction. I probably wouldn't but esotericas or Germain's as they would be the brands that would sell out before the internet can catch up, leading to OOS messages and needing to get refunded b/c the card was charged.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.