PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Apparently not many people read the email...

How this happened is a bit of an odd story, but very much a function of normal business at Smokingpipes. All of these tins have been sitting in our climate-controlled warehouse or offices since before McClelland closed in 2018. And, of course, by Smokingpipes standards, these are vanishingly tiny quantities. In situations where we have limited inventory, perhaps a Limited Edition tobacco or, say, the closing of McClelland in 2018, we really don’t get many normal returns. But we still get tiny dribbles of odd-ball returns that are usually for logistical reasons. Perhaps there was a problem with an address, we were unable to reach the customer, and we ultimately canceled the order after a couple of weeks. Or a package gets temporarily lost by the carrier, we reship the order, but then the first package makes it back to us after a few days, following a brief sojourn in a sorting facility in Topeka. These sorts of things constitute a tiny percentage (perhaps one order in 500) compared to sales, and given their nature, they happen across a few weeks. And in the case of limited tobaccos, we don’t turn a product back to available on the site if we find ourselves with a couple of tins.

And seen as how the items sold out within hours, pricing doesn’t seem to have been an issue.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
eh, stuff lays around everywhere if the company is big enough. P&C found like a pallet of Dunhill 3 Year Matured Virginia last year, though they put them up dirt cheap. I think I paid like $7-8 per tin, I should have bought more than the 5 I picked up looking back on it. The tin codes date back to a 2016 production so it wasn't the last batch being held back. They probably did just find it behind a bunch of stuff.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Apparently not many people read the email...

And seen as how the items sold out within hours, pricing doesn’t seem to have been an issue.
It's not an issue when you have the attention of the masses on the Internet. I know of B&Ms that have McC in stock for the same price as SP. They have been there for years. Just like ESO. In stock at some B&Ms I know.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Iwan Ries does something that is pretty cool. If you set up a notification for something you want that's not in stock, they will actually hold that tobacco for you for several days when it does show up. It may be some time before your position in the queue get you to the front, but when it happens it means something.
I didn't know that. Very cool.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Im supposed to be VIP and I never got the email. Not that I missed anything considering the pricing but Im a little butt hurt about it.
I hapened to log in when everything was in stock. Saw the prices and passed it on by. Interesting because I was on the net looking for a speedo cable for my Nissan hardbody. The dealership had one in stock, apparently the only one in the states. They wanted 350 bucks. I respectfully declined and got one through Amazon for 30 bucks. Yeah its coming from Thailand and will take a month to deliver, but I got a cable. Same with the McC, there are other blends out there to pick from that are very good at a fraction of the cost. Unless you just have to have OEM or in this case McC, then by all means I say go for it. For those who got some McC, awesome, you worked hard for it and I hope you enjoy it.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Most people have no moral objection to a buyer who shops around to find a vendor with the lowest price. This is a smart thing to do. But many of the same people have a moral objection with a vendor shopping around to find a buyer who will pay the highest price. This is an immoral thing to do. I have a difficult time doublethinking that hard.

If they are just lying about supply in their marketing emails, then I also consider that a moral problem, but not the price. But then I consider most corporate marketing to be based on lies and immoral, so there’s that.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Who cares where they got it or what story was told. Those who love McClelland should be ecstatic to be able to buy some. A day will come when it will be near impossible to find. I bought a tin each of 40th and CC 2009, was happy to get them.
I recently bought some Anniversary so I passed it over, but looking back I should have bought a couple of the Christmas Cheers with almost 20 years of age. I’ve heard great things about their Grand Orientals series, so I wanted to try a couple of those.

Reactions: fireground_piper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
20 years from now, when I'm enjoying a bowl of McClelland Virginia, I guarantee you I won't be wishing I'd have saved that $100. Even at $100, works out to be around $3.00 per bowl. Less than a dog rocket cigar.
20 years from now, I'll be enjoying my $16 tins of the 40th, since I bought 35 of them, and I can guarantee that i won't regret the $16 per tin that I spent on those either. Can't say as I'm regretting it now. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.