PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I haven't tried any McCranie's reds but I'd love to test a few of their vintages.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have about an ounce left...McClelland was my favorite brand, and when I finally got around to trying 5100, I was underwhelmed. That’s only because I preferred St. James Woods, Dark Star, and Blackwoods Flake. Now that McClelland is out, I appreciate the little 5100 I have left a lot more.

I’m glad some others have found solace in some Sutliff offerings, but they are not even close to me and I actually have an aversion to the ones I’ve tried. Big bummer here!

I don't believe McClelland intended for 5100 to compete with St James Woods or their other blends. I think 5100 was probably a key component in a number of those blends. It was intended to be a blending component. However, there was a time when 5100 was pretty much all I smoked. I remember buy 5 lb bags of it at a time in the early 2000's. I seem to recall it was around $25 to $30 per pound!

McCranie's Red Ribbon and Red Flake were created from vintage crops of 5100 and aged. Just imagine 5100 with the rough edges removed and a bit more sublime and you pretty much have Red Ribbon.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I don't believe McClelland intended for 5100 to compete with St James Woods or their other blends. I think 5100 was probably a key component in a number of those blends. It was intended to be a blending component. However, there was a time when 5100 was pretty much all I smoked. I remember buy 5 lb bags of it at a time in the early 2000's. I seem to recall it was around $25 to $30 per pound!

McCranie's Red Ribbon and Red Flake were created from vintage crops of 5100 and aged. Just imagine 5100 with the rough edges removed and a bit more sublime and you pretty much have Red Ribbon.

The comparison to Red Ribbon and and 5100 is incorrect. 5100 was a blend of red Virginias processed in Mike McNeils special way. Red Ribbon and Red flake were single crop reds, which is why some vintages lasted longer than others. Ribbon was never 5100 smoothed out.

First off, it has always baffled me how Red Cake has always been called 5100, and never did I hear it referred to as "just" a blender. It always had it's own unadulterated jar at The Briary and many other B&Ms, and in the Virginia threads it was always the favorite straight Virginia by a large faction, except for by the flake purists. Sure, many blends used it as a base or a blender, but that doesn't mean that most of us Virginia smokers didn't hold Red Cake dear to our hearts.

I would comment on the Sutliff vinegar aromatics, but I have resolved that if I can't find something nice to say about it... I'll keep making up jokes. puffy

But, I am also not going to talk people into liking something that can't even be found any more. I am set for a long time with Red Cake in the cellar. Trying to talk it up, would be to foster jealousy and feed the tobacco scalpers. There is a world of wonderful tobaccos out there. Surely there is something else you might enjoy.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015

I accept your offer.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.