PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I got into pipe smoking in either March or April of 2018, and unbeknownst to me it was right as McClelland shut its doors. Because Frog Morton was one of those blends I wanted to try before I got into it, I sort of became one of those people that considers McClelland blends to be the “White Whale” of the pipe smoking world.

One of their blends that I have heard a lot about and have wanted to try is 5100. People are willing to pay a lot for it. One guy was asking for an “artisan pipe” as a trade for 8 oz. of 5100, and he even had offers. So my question is, is 5100 any better than Carolina Red Flake or Cringle Flake? Because those are two blends I have plenty of, and I have heard that they compare. Would it be worth it for me to buy some 5100? Yes, I know “worth it” is subjective, but you get my point.

Cheers

Reactions: danimalia

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
In my opinion, no, 5100 is not “better” than Carolina Red Flake it Cringle Flake. That being said, McClelland had a proprietary method of curing its Virginias, 5100 included. So, 5100 will always be unique and therefore different.

What’s an “artisan pipe” worth? If we’re conservative and assume $300, then, IMO, FU(k NO!! 8oz of 5100 is not worth $300. Not even close.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
It’s a good, solid, red Virginia that is sweet, tangy, and bready, with the McLelland distinctive “catsup” tin note. While it was in production, nobody was freaking out about it. It was the standard for bulk red VA for many, but is really a best as a mixer, IMO. If I were you, I’d pass and buy some Sutliff 515-rc1 and be happy that you aren’t in love with an unavailable blend.

It’s a good, solid, red Virginia that is sweet, tangy, and bready, with the McLelland distinctive “catsup” tin note. While it was in production, nobody was freaking out about it. It was the standard for bulk red VA for many, but is really a best as a mixer, IMO. If I were you, I’d pass and buy some Sutliff 515-rc1 and be happy that you aren’t in love with an unavailable blend.

LOL! I was writing mine as you were writing yours.... Great minds and all that. puffy.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It is different. Better? It was kind of a standard used for countless B&M house blends back in the day. Cringle Flake isn't close IMHO. I like the Carolina Red Flake quite a bit but they're totally different. I think a better comparison is the Watch City Simply Red.

I have to differ on the Sutliff bulk. It's like smoking air compared to 5100, at least to me.

I have around 4 to 5 pound of 5100. However, I made the mistake of canning it in quart jars which hold around 8 oz. Dumb on my part. I probably won't touch it for another 3 to 5 years minimum. I've smoked 10 plus year old 5100, it was awesome with the additional age.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
In my opinion, no, 5100 is not “better” than Carolina Red Flake it Cringle Flake. That being said, McClelland had a proprietary method of curing its Virginias, 5100 included. So, 5100 will always be unique and therefore different.

What’s an “artisan pipe” worth? If we’re conservative and assume $300, then, IMO, FU(k NO!! 8oz of 5100 is not worth $300. Not even close.
No tobacco is worth $300.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
5100 is a solid red Va good straight and used in many shop blends before it’s demise. If I were going to lust after a McC relic there are many others I would look for before 5100.

515RC isn’t much like 5100, IMO. I wish it were but few people would confuse one for the other. 515RC plays like most Sutliff leaf, good, but not stellar. I have a bunch cellared in the hopes it improves over time.

There are many good “straight” red Va blends out there. Find one you like. If you end up buying some 5100 somewhere don’t pay too much for it.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Simply Red is easily the best of the currently available red VA's. It's more tasty than Sutliff and better than any of the C&D reds, and probably the closest to McClelland's style (although Sutliff has some of that too). But even so, all the straight red VA's are a bit on the monotonous side in my experience. Blends that mix different types of VA's are more complex and interesting than straight red. To that end, I'd suggest skipping Simply Red and get Watch City's Rhythm & Blues which mixes Simply Red with some dark stoved VA. It's altogether a better smoke.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Simply Red is easily the best of the currently available red VA's. It's more tasty than Sutliff and better than any of the C&D reds, and probably the closest to McClelland's style (although Sutliff has some of that too). But even so, all the straight red VA's are a bit on the monotonous side in my experience. Blends that mix different types of VA's are more complex and interesting than straight red. To that end, I'd suggest skipping Simply Red and get Watch City's Rhythm & Blues which mixes Simply Red with some dark stoved VA. It's altogether a better smoke.

This. I really enjoy Rhythm & Blues.

Reactions: cohibajoe and BROBS

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I mainly used 5100 for blending, and it is a pity I have none left, but I would not be buying it for more than it was worth while in production. I do find Sutliff 515-rc1 to be close enough as a blending component, both in its flavour and bulk price and availability. When smoking the sutliff by itself I got more vinegar than ketchup, but certainly a similar enough profile to keep me content.

Reactions: logs

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
515 RC was designed to mimic 5100 when used as a blending component. It's "5100 like" but not a match. I still have a couple of pounds of 5100 and am in no rush to smoke any of it. It's kind of a monochromatic snooze on its own, but great as a blending tobacco.

Hook it up, Jesse! It’ll only take you an hour to drive through the 15 miles of traffic into the South Bay. But yeah, I do have a few ounces of Sutliff 515 RC. I’ll be exploring it some more.

Well actually, 2oz of any pipe tobacco is about $100 Australian dollars, so 8oz for $300 USD is about right taking the conversion rate into account...

Ya’ll are wild down in Australia.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Honestly, when I first smoked 5100 I wasn’t that impressed. But guys with a lot more experience told me to buy as much as I could and age it. So I did.

I have smoked most of the blends that are supposed to be similar but, in my opinion, nothing really comes close. Granted, all of mine is from around 2006-2010 so I am smoking aged 5100. Maybe those other blends will age well and get closer to 5100.

Shoot me a pm with your address and I will mail you a few bowls to try. I just cracked a jar from May 2010 and it’s delicious.

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
I was at a B&M I go to rarely but is sort of on my way home from work. Talking to the owner and at the end, he asked if I had ever had 5100, I said no I got in the game after McClelland shut their doors so he pulled out an ounce of it from behind the counter and said I had to try it. Great smoke but nothing I would pay that kind of money for.

Reactions: lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I have about an ounce left...McClelland was my favorite brand, and when I finally got around to trying 5100, I was underwhelmed. That’s only because I preferred St. James Woods, Dark Star, and Blackwoods Flake. Now that McClelland is out, I appreciate the little 5100 I have left a lot more.

I’m glad some others have found solace in some Sutliff offerings, but they are not even close to me and I actually have an aversion to the ones I’ve tried. Big bummer here!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Honestly, when I first smoked 5100 I wasn’t that impressed. But guys with a lot more experience told me to buy as much as I could and age it. So I did.

I have smoked most of the blends that are supposed to be similar but, in my opinion, nothing really comes close. Granted, all of mine is from around 2006-2010 so I am smoking aged 5100. Maybe those other blends will age well and get closer to 5100.

Shoot me a pm with your address and I will mail you a few bowls to try. I just cracked a jar from May 2010 and it’s delicious.
This is awesome! ??????

Reactions: kwg116
Status
Not open for further replies.