PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
but closing down and packing up is the last option on the table for them! Makes no sense what so ever!
To be more accurate, it may not make sense to you. It doesn't really make sense to me either. But I don't sit where they sit. They older, it is likely they're beyond comfortable financially and it seems reasonable to guess tobacco has been their life's passion. And if you purchased the company, what would you be buying? Their supplier list (which apparently has primarily gone away for the staple of their product, high quality red VA leaf), their blends (again, a high percentage of their primary blends will no longer be able to be made to their standards) and their distributor/customer list. Perhaps they do not wish someone else to substitute lower quality red Virginia leaf and attempt to sell a lower quality product using the McClelland name. They may value their legacy more than the relatively small amount of money they can get for their business.
Given a world filled with anti smoking Nazis and considerable FDA legislation, what intelligent person would consider investing considerable money in the pipe tobacco industry? I hate making that statement but you can't escape the logic.

I have no idea what Mike and Mary have said or plan, except from trusted members here and from someone who sells their products. But, I believe Mike is their blender and mastermind behind their products. Anyone who has owned a business where the product is made by the owner knows that it’s almost impossible to sell it. McClelland isn’t Prince Albert or another product where they just mix together some stuff and sell it. It’s a finer wine of sorts, not MadDog 20/20.
A local restaurant here had the owner/chef retire. It was wildly popular and very expensive finer dining. But, they sold the building and equipment to another entrepreneur that signed a clause saying they would NOT use their name. The food was mediocre with the same ol price tag. Well, he did use their name, and it was trashed all over social media. The owner Took them to court, which in many Southern states where clauses like that don’t hold up well, they lost. So, the former owner had to plea on threads where people were already complaining about the food, the whole explaination. It was heartbreaking to hear that something someone had put decades of blood sweat and tears into had turned into what it had become. A dream that should have just rode off into the sunset was a dumpster fire.
I don’t know these people. I’m not even certain what will happen, not enough to lay any money on the line, but I can easily see where selling your dream would not be a very attractive option.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
McCranies does still have red ribbon even though their web site says out of stock. Just ordered 10 tins each of red ribbon and red flake to add to the cellar. Matt wouldn't say how much red ribbon they have left but it's definitely a finite supply based on what he did tell me. If I'm still alive, I'm sure I'll consider those 50 gram tins to be quite the treat 5 to 10 years down the road. If all these rumors turn out to be false, I'll be very happy about that and will still consider it a treat down the road.

I just watched the podcast... very interesting. Once again, someone puts their reputation on the line, but still not a horse’s mouth report. I will hope and pray they do stay in business. But, I will buy and hoard like they are. It’ll be interesting to see how this pans out.

I’ve had so many people tell me (still not horse’s mouth) that Mike has told them to their face that they are closing. But.... This will take a Big bag of popcorn, ha ha.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't know how long the McNeils have been in business but at some point they have to ask themselves is it worth it to continue. Owning your own business is not easy, the pressure on you to perform day in and day out can create immense stress. I have heard they are not young people. If they don't have children or grandchildren in the business who know how to run everything themselves, then why sell to someone who could possibly ruin your good name.
Now I have hear...wink wink... that Greg Pease has reached an agreement to buy McClelland and all their blends and equipment. He is going to bring back all the old Syrian blends, as he just returned from Syria with around 5000 pounds of great leaf. He is also going to bring Ravens wing back and he is still closing on the Dunhill sale in a few weeks. Greg has been a busy boy.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
No Skip was very clear that he would no longer be able to get any more McClelland products (period). Why would make up something that would disturb the movement of his best selling products? Why he will no longer be able to get them... people will have to fill in their own blanks.
I would think that making up something like that would actually facilitate the selling of his best selling products.
Someone might or might not retire soon...but thanks all the rumors, some people are laughing all the way to the bank.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I must say it would be disheartening to see McClelland go the way of the dodo bird but I'd rather see that than to see their good name get tarnished. Honestly, I've been hoarding McClelland since I first tasted their exquisite Virginia's. I may have stocked up on 40th anniversary at a slightly higher rate than I would have otherwise if these rumors weren't swirling around but I have no doubt that I will enjoy every last tin that I've purchased sometime in the future regardless of what happens with McClelland. I hope they keep the tradition of producing high quality Virginia's alive until well after my passing but if not at least I won't be scrambling to scratch my daily Virginia itch.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
Glad I won't have to cook it, gkr1. I never was good at cooking anyway.
So...someone is lying to you...or the guys from the Country Squire Radio show are lying to us...or the McNeils are lying to the guys from the Country Squire Radio show. :?

Oct 7, 2016
2027 tins in stock at SP at 8:22 PM on 2/16.
And 1291 ounces of #2010 bulk Virginia flake. Other etailers seem to be out.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
So...someone is lying to you...or the guys from the Country Squire Radio show are lying to us...or the McNeils are lying to the guys from the Country Squire Radio show. :?
I guess anyone can talk about retiring like we all do! At some point we all retire. Question is when? And will McNeil's close doors or pass on the business. I do not think it will be anytime soon and if they do decide to retire a savvy bushiness person will take over operations. That's my take on it!
As far as who is lying that is an interesting notion, whom ever is fibbing needs to stop because my beloved blends are out of stock almost everywhere and I do not like this panic buying people are doing! 60 large tins of Black Star was sold in the last 24 hours from SP.com and I miffed that I did not get a chance to buy 2 tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.