New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Andykarr

Lurker
Just throwing this out there: After quite a lot of taste testing and crazy amount of research, (I think I've gone off the deep end with this pipe smoking thing...) I have figured out my favorite blend taste (right now) is Esoterico Tobacciano's Margate. Obviously this is extremely hard to get ahold of and their production issues are very understandable in times like these. For me, I have come up with my own alternative. It is a blend of 75% Druquer and Sons Levant mixture, and 25% C&D's Izmir Turkish. Obviously it's not going to be exactly the same. But for me it's a pretty good standing.

If you like Margate and are looking for Margate, try this and let me know what you think.

Andykarr

Lurker
Just throwing this out there: After quite a lot of taste testing and crazy amount of research, (I think I've gone off the deep end with this pipe smoking thing...) I have figured out my favorite blend taste (right now) is Esoterico Tobacciano's Margate. Obviously this is extremely hard to get ahold of and their production issues are very understandable in times like these. For me, I have come up with my own alternative. It is a blend of 75% Druquer and Sons Levant mixture, and 25% C&D's Izmir Turkish. Obviously it's not going to be exactly the same. But for me it's a pretty good standing.

If you like Margate and are looking for Margate, try this and let me know what you think.
Here's an addition to my original post: to simulate margate's and shag cut I run the mix through a single speed food processor for just a few seconds. I try to get the pieces about half their original ribbon cut size.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Seconding what Embers said, I've found that Margate and Pembroke are often the last to go from the B&M shelves. They all disappear immediately from online retailers, but I've seen bags of the aforementioned sit around for years @$40... a tiny bit more than a 200g D&S can from SP, but less than the sticker prices on D&S/GLP in the same shops with the bags?

• Wow
Reactions: macaroni and JOHN72

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Here's an addition to my original post: to simulate margate's and shag cut I run the mix through a single speed food processor for just a few seconds. I try to get the pieces about half their original ribbon cut size.
I don't have any Levant or Izmir in hand but it's good to have this recipe in case I run out of Margate. I assume a bit of brandy will make it into a Pembroke sim as well!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I don't have any Levant or Izmir in hand but it's good to have this recipe in case I run out of Margate. I assume a bit of brandy will make it into a Pembroke sim as well!
I've topped Balkan Supreme with Cognac and it tastes almost identical to Pembroke.
Jar-aged Arango/Stokkebye Balkan Supreme is often recommended here as one of the closest substitutes (not exact, of course) for Penzance, for good reason. I'd say it fits more inbetween Margate and Penzance, especially because of the cut. It's also one of the most budget friendly alternatives. I was shocked after directly comparing 1 yr old Supreme with very fresh Penzance.

Reactions: mingc

Andykarr

Lurker
I've topped Balkan Supreme with Cognac and it tastes almost identical to Pembroke.
Jar-aged Arango/Stokkebye Balkan Supreme is often recommended here as one of the closest substitutes (not exact, of course) for Penzance, for good reason. I'd say it fits more inbetween Margate and Penzance, especially because of the cut. It's also one of the most budget friendly alternatives. I was shocked after directly comparing 1 yr old Supreme with very fresh Penzance.
It just so happens that Arango/Stokkebye Balkan Supreme is on my list to try next! Thanks!

Reactions: rushx9