PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I used to make my own strike anywheres.
Grab a few big boxes of matches from Walmart. Sand off the red strips, collect the dust. Mix it with a drop off water into a paste. Roll match heads in the paste. Let dry, do second coat. Let dry, and strike em anywhere. Fun arts and crafts idea! They do stink a bit more than usual after you strike them though, so you have to let em burn an extra second or two before you light.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
In Canada, we have Redbird strike anywhere matches. They will strike on lots of things with the right technique. I have an old sharpening stone next to my ashtray I use to strike them on.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
The old days of light em with the tip of your thumb nail are LONG gone Brorther...

Yup, its a shame that even something as innocent as 'fire' has fallen to the health & safety regime

Growing up our strike anywhere matches were these, wish I could still get some:

Reactions: B.Fee

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The strike anywhere matches I had were excessively large for lighting a pipe, and I don't see them anywhere.

While not strike any where, the boxed matches you can get at some restaurants, bars and hotel are just right.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
The strike anywhere matches I had were excessively large for lighting a pipe, and I don't see them anywhere.

While not strike any where, the boxed matches you can get at some restaurants, bars and hotel are just right.

I've always seen these referred to as 'kitchen matches' (I guess the extra length is handy for lighting the stove/oven etc) but can see why they'd double as good pipe matches

Reactions: anotherbob

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
In Canada, we have Redbird strike anywhere matches. They will strike on lots of things with the right technique. I have an old sharpening stone next to my ashtray I use to strike them on.
Those are the ones I have but I just can't find anything in the car they will strike on. These 'soft touch' car interiors sux.

• Haha
Reactions: diamondback

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've always seen these referred to as 'kitchen matches' (I guess the extra length is handy for lighting the stove/oven etc) but can see why they'd double as good pipe matches
I'd use them only if nothing else were available. Such a waste. Yes, growing up they were called kitchen matches, from the days before pilot lights, used on the family stove and oven.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Those are the ones I have but I just can't find anything in the car they will strike on. These 'soft touch' car interiors sux.

Even Redbirds have dropped in quality. If you have the older boxes made in the US they are sturdy, now made in South American (Peru?) and the wood is soooo thin most snap instead of lighting. I may have cleared out the local Canadian tire of the good ones lol

Reactions: BROBS and Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.