PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Here's a question to folks using an old boy or your everyday butane lighter with flame height control,
How high is your flame?
@ravkesef
Thank you Eric for taking the time.
Here's a thread from a few years back that compares the same flame sources visually.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/experiment-match-vs-zippo-vs-bic-vs-old-boy-vs-torch
I suspect fuel source and the resultant burn temp is the easiest metric to track, however, I wonder how much of a role it plays in what we ultimately taste relative to other factors such as burn time, flame depth and surface area of the initial char.
I began to think about flame depth the first time I used my old boy. With a match it's a simple matter to guide the flame all across the surface ensuring a good surface char without scorching the tobacco or the rim. I have not been able to duplicate this with my old boy yet, but I suspect given time and experience I may.
If you adjust the lighter to emit a short flame you can direct the flame fairly easily. However this puts the hottest burning portion of the flame very close to the tobacco and tends to project the flame well in to the bowl.
Adjusting for a longer flame gives you less control but presents the coolest part of the flame to contact the tobacco and to a lesser depth than when the lighter is closer to the rim.
I smoke alone but have seen folks using old boys on TV (yt) and have noticed they keep the flame very low, unsurprisingly.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Let me apologies in advance for the pictures.
My wife just came home from taking an out of town friend to a tourist area in Chongqing. She bought me this super match! No maracas on my pocket and cheap enough to not be upset if it gets itself lost.
IMG_20170224_215804.jpg

IMG_20170224_215828.jpg

IMG_20170224_215845.jpg

I'm sure y'all or at least some of you have seen something like this before, but I thought it was pretty neat.

I have several of those instant matches. But, mine are in just plain looking small bottles. They work great. Mine was under $5. The simple operation of just striking it on a flint makes for very few parts, and long lasting device. My only qualm is that mine tends to run out of fuel quickly. So, I had to keep a container of lighter fluid in my pipe bag, which leaked out also. Sooooo... Bic

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Besides the "fried bread sticks" Bruce Lee, she also picked up one the says, "I'm you're grandpa" in chinese with iphone 6 plus written underneath that. Not sure what they have in common, but the grandpa phrase is kind of a derogatory phrase for being better than somebody. The third one is a Che picture.
I'll make sure to keep fuel on hand to avoid looking like some guy with a spark machine. A spark machine would be pretty cool though.

There is nothing more disappointing than getting out your pipe and supplies, while cigar guys all come over to watch you. Then you look all cool prepping your tobacco, packing it, looking cool, answering questions about your $500 pipe, and your aged tobacco cellar, with... strike, strike, strike... a $300 lighter doesn't have any fuel, and you have to ask one of the cigar guys for a match, ha ha.

This happened to me a few times, and now I only carry Bics. And, if a Bic goes dead, it doesn't bring the laughter, because that has happened to everyone.
I do have a nice shelf in my pipe room with quite a selection of those expensive lighters on it. They do look nice. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One of the more useful quotes, in the thread linked in bigpond's post above, by gloucesterman-
I use an "Old Boy" exclusively when in doors. I never hold it directly to the briar but rather above the tobacco and draw the flame into it. It's an interesting experiment but I'm not sure it has much application if a pipe is being properly lit. Any wood, hard or otherwise, will scorch if it comes in direct contact with a flame. The whole idea is to avoid that.
Bigpond- My old boys' flame is medium.
Any source of fire can be used (acetylene excepted!) to safely light a bowl- by adjusting the distance of the tip of the flame from the tobacco.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
jpmcwjr Thank you. I think I'll need to adjust my flame and have a go once again with the old boy with a pipe I won't need to baby. My flame is set very low and I smoke out of doors. I'm sure both factors contribute somewhat to my less than favorable impressions.

fuzzysocks99

Lurker
Jan 12, 2017
I started out using just a bic lighter, as Husbeast insists that I carry a lighting device on my person. But found that I scorch the rim too much! Went to Carrs and found a big package of matches (20 boxes of 50) I take a box and keep the rest in my truck. Use mostly for first light if not too windy and the bic for relights or quick lighting needs! I do prefer the matches as my pipe doesn't get as hot as with the bic. I just recently bought a Zippo but it doesn't have a pipe insert, and am not sure about how to go about getting one! Would like to try the other butane insert that you can get but most places online don't ever seem to have it in stock when the paychecks hit!LOL

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fuzzy- When flicking your Bic, just hold it further away from the tobacco and rim. Scorching: nada.
And I love decent restaurant or bar matches, something fading fast on the left bank of the US.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I use a Kribi lighter, sometimes matches and sometimes a Djeep lighter. I prefer the Djeep over the Bic as the flame stays farther away from my fat thumbs. Less of a chance of torching my thumb.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I think most comments have been made, but I have to call out the OP, who is probably long gone now. I'll buy all of the arguments for matches, but as Cosmic pointed out, it is amazing how much people think about every aspect of pipe making. That is, I'll buy all of the arguments but one, less relights. How on Earth can using a match result in fewer relights?

jasongvl

Lurker
Feb 11, 2016
Kent, England
I love matches but I tend to find they can be used quite quick, so I have started using Bees-wax coated Hemp wick. It's fantastic, doesn't smell any-where near as much, more enviro-friendly, lasts longer and sooooo much cheaper! The only thing is you have to light it :)

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I don't use it often, but I have been a fan of hemp wick. It is silly that you have to light it, but it really works well. I just have a coil in my pocket, but I have seen dispensers with a lighter spot. If I see one of those again I'll grab it, as it then attaches the hemp to your lighter, making it much easier to use more frequently.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I like matches. My wife always picks up packages of Diamond style boxes at the local discount store. Does anyone remember Kritirion (sp) brand matches, made in the USSR? They were my favorite. I haven't seen them in years. I am in the minority when it comes Swan Vestas. I can't get the damned things to light with that weird striker material they put on the boxes.
Mike S.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Swan vestas, 100 matches in a box!

Apart from being an advertising slogan, the above is shouted out every time a chap spots a pretty redhead in a pub. Well in my town it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.