PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2010
My favorite matches are sold at one of the pipe stores in the mall called Arango Sportsman. I am not sure what kind of wood they are made of but they do add a slight hickory/sweet flavor to the char and true.
Wallbright I have always been told that if you smoke your pipe in the wind you have to be careful of the wind making the tobacco burn to hot and the ash flying out. Almost all the burnout stories I have read stem from smoking in high winds and not noticing just how hot the bowl has become.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Thanks for the info Explodingpenguin, I will be sure to take care when smoking in a windy area. I definitely don't want a burnout to occur. I guess my cob can be my designated wind smoker.

colonelmcmuf

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2010
When I first started smoking I used Matches, but Laziness has gotten the best of me. I find myself using a Bic most of the time. It doesn't help that my pipe store stopped giving me free matches when I'd buy my tobacco.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Same boat as colonel.... I used matches almost exclusively when I first picked up the pipe, but switched to butane somewhere along the way. Might be time to give matches another try.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Wall , several online smokeshops offer cheap windcaps that you can pop on a pipe for outdoor smoking.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Only used matches occasionally when I smoked "coughin nails". Using a Bic lighter since coming over to the light side.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Looks like I will be buying some cheap Bic lighters while I wait for my Zippo to return with the pipe insert.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
I started with matches, but was getting frustrated with the amount of "work" involved. Got a dedicated pipe lighter and used that for a while, but I ended up switching back to matches. I just liked the flame better. Gives me a light that I can judge better. Means fewer relights in the long run.
Lighting in the wind is nigh impossible. But when the wind is up, I'll be in the garage or will skip the smoke.
Simon

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I don't use matches very much, but every time I do it makes me think I should do it more often. Nothing seems to rival the first light of a match; certainly not my Zippo.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I personally can tell the difference when lighting a cigarette with a match or a lighter - there's a definitive taste from the lighter fluid that is off putting. If you don't believe me, try roasting a marshmallow with a lighter, it's disgusting ;)

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
wooden kitchen matches work well at my deskat home, but a butane lighter is just flat safer to use in the car.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
matches

all the way for ohio blue tip usere start looking for new old stock same with diamond the new green matches suck

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm a confirmed user of matches. Swan Vestas are nice if I can find 'em. Otherwise, it's regular old Diamonds.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
I only use matches. Couple of reasons.

I like them.

I have never had good experiences with lighters because of losing them. confiscation at airports, mechanical failures.
Last, I always buy strike anywhere. Used to get them from supermarket, but they quit selling them in Kansas. I now go to the hardware store, but I get any place that sold grilling or fireplace products would have them.
Agree with lowered usability of the new "green" matches. The aspen that they are making them out of burns much faster.
I have heard that there are still great stands of trees that they were making matches out of extant in Australia. Where is an entrepenure (Wish I could spell French.) when you need one.
anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.