PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
To each his own! Some of us are more aesthetically inclined!

That advice is good for all sources of flame. Critical, perhaps.

Even more important with fluid, I'd think. (I don't use fluid lighters except in a gale.)
Lol, that lighter I pictured looks nicer than most cheap lighters I've bought... Gun metal case I think. I especially like the button function. A slider instead of a button. It's almost impossible to burn myself from a raising flame so I can easily direct the flame where I want without any need to worry about getting burned.

But yeah, it's not as fancy looking as some of those made of gold and diamond encrusted.

A lighter isn't a fashion statement, in my book.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How long have you used it?
Presume you'll not be using gasoline in it.

Brandx-lighter
ColorDead Skull
MaterialMetal
StyleSkull
Item Weight1.6 Ounces
Fuel TypeGasoline, Kerosene
Product Dimensions3.03"L x 0.71"W x 0.71"Th
Manufacturerx-lighter

See more

About this item​

• Important Reminder-How to Strike? The end of flint strike should be posited at 45 angle at the top of steel rod on the side. Apply pressure and scrape downwards along the steel rod SLOWLY!!! Slow movement was a key factor to make a fire! Watch our video to gain how to use.

AreBee

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
How long have you used it?
Presume you'll not be using gasoline in it.

Brandx-lighter
ColorDead Skull
MaterialMetal
StyleSkull
Item Weight1.6 Ounces
Fuel TypeGasoline, Kerosene
Product Dimensions3.03"L x 0.71"W x 0.71"Th
Manufacturerx-lighter

See more

About this item​

• Important Reminder-How to Strike? The end of flint strike should be posited at 45 angle at the top of steel rod on the side. Apply pressure and scrape downwards along the steel rod SLOWLY!!! Slow movement was a key factor to make a fire! Watch our video to gain how to use.
I've used it for about three months now and use standard Zippo naphtha fluid in it. I've tried both the Thunderbird and Zippo butane pipe lighters as well as the standard Zippo pipe lighter and I prefer the permanent match to all of them. I also purchased an accessories kit that had extra wicks, strikers, o-rings and flints. I did this because I'm fairly confident I won't be getting 10,000 strikes out of the flint.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
For me, there are two variables: Temperature and taste. I like liquid fuel lighters, they're cool, have history, but the smell bothers me and can spoil the taste of the tobacco. That leaves matches and butane lighters. I find matches to be more controllable, temperature-wise, than a lighter. It's easier to consistently get a smaller, cooler flame, which I like. Keeps the combustion temps lower, and less chance of rim scorching. Lighters tend to be a little unpredictable on flame size, depending on the surrounding temperatures. Higher temps=bigger flame. That said, matches aren't very convenient or safe in the car, and are a bit of a PITA to carry around. So I mostly use a butane lighter.

Ideally, a USB-rechargeable infrared lighter would be ideal, like the old plug-in car cigarette lighters. But nobody makes that, as far as I know.

Oh, yes they do! I'll have to look into this!
I bought that lighter.
Turns out it’s strictly for cigs.
I tossed it.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I tend to scorch rims with butane lighters.
Zippo style lighters, I find it difficult to get the flame down deep into big bowls.
Kitchen matches are good because of their length, the flame is gentle and easy to apply across the surface of the tobacco, at any depth.
But matches have negatives: not always easy to strike, sulfur smell, flaming bits fly off and can leave micro holes in fabrics.

I have settled on wooden spills. Sandwich picks are the perfect size--3.5 inches. Cheap when bought in bulk from craft stores.
I light them with whatever lighter is as hand, or from a votive candle I keep lit beside my smoking chair.

1722883602288.png
1722884874246.png

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One might conclude it's strictly a personal preference, with some ready to fight to justify their choice, others not giving a fusty.

Is there really anything new under the sun on this subject? If not, I'll close it before long. (And no fear, it'll pop up again before the next new moon.)

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
One might conclude it's strictly a personal preference, with some ready to fight to justify their choice, others not giving a fusty.

Is there really anything new under the sun on this subject? If not, I'll close it before long. (And no fear, it'll pop up again before the next new moon.)
Still good to know each other's techniques so as to try different ways and find what works best for ourselves.

Yes, old subject, but new to the newcomers.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Indeed. But my point was that everything was covered, and no point grinding on repeating personal druthers.
Do you have something to add at this point?

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
Nope, you have a good point. I suppose nothing new has been suggested and I certainly have nothing to add. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Zippo doesn't go out as often as matches. And there lays the secret to not getting frustrated with damned matches.
Nor does a BiC. Or Old Boy, Kiribi, etc. etc.

If matches are often not sufficient for lighting, the tobacco could be dried a bit more.