PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Great for candles …
IMG_0023.jpeg
… and more!

These do work very well as pipe lighters.

I use the traditional Bic quite a bit. They last forever. I do miss when you could adjust the flame on them.

IMG_0024.jpeg

The Djeep is another favorite. The long fuel button allows for some distance between thumb and fire. The flame is adjustable; for lighting a pipe, I like it set low. I didn’t want to leave my Zippo out of the picture. It gets used most.

When conditions allow, I prefer to start a pipe with matches, though.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I'm an outdoor smoker so it's a Zippo with a pipe insert for me, since outdoors the wind is a constant adversary, and I do notice a slight naphtha taste from the Zippo fluid for the first 2 or 3 seconds after lighting my pipe but it dissipates quickly. On the rare occasions I do get to smoke indoors I enjoy the slow paced and tactile exercise of using stick matches to light my pipe, but they too impart of a bit of their own flavor for the first few puffs. Some sulfur and charred wood, which I actually find kinda pleasant.

In an ideal world I'd always use a BIC to light my pipe, since it imparts no flavor at all, but a BIC is less practical outdoors than a Zippo and less fun than matches when you can sit down and relax inside. I still keep one in my pipe kit though, since it's always good to have options. A Zippo can run out of fuel or the flint can break, and matches can get wet from humidity and stubborn to light, so it never hurts to have a BIC around as a backup.puffy

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Oh boy, don't get me started. I bought four $100 + lighters last month and one is already giving me problems (Kirbi) The second (Corona) has been exhibiting some problems but I haven't used it in the last 5-7 days. The last two (Rattray and Peterson) I haven't filled yet. I plan to give a report on my findings with my Kirbi after I give it a cleaning in hopes that it will light on at least the 3rd try every time.

Otherwise at this very moment I say ditch any overly expensive lighter or match and use a zippo for outside and a bic for inside. Personally I like the flavor and smell of the Zippo due to nostalgia of my father but hate having to fill it all the time. Around the house at this moment in time It just seems most reasonable for me to use a Bic lighter around the house unless I want to feel special with matches. And hey, I like feeling special, that is why I bought the expensive lighters, but I feel they are just going to make me feel like I wasted a lot of money. :)

epazikas

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2024
Mölndal, Sweden
Oh boy, don't get me started. I bought four $100 + lighters last month and one is already giving me problems (Kirbi) The second (Corona) has been exhibiting some problems but I haven't used it in the last 5-7 days. The last two (Rattray and Peterson) I haven't filled yet. I plan to give a report on my findings with my Kirbi after I give it a cleaning in hopes that it will light on at least the 3rd try every time.

Otherwise at this very moment I say ditch any overly expensive lighter or match and use a zippo for outside and a bic for inside. Personally I like the flavor and smell of the Zippo due to nostalgia of my father but hate having to fill it all the time. Around the house at this moment in time It just seems most reasonable for me to use a Bic lighter around the house unless I want to feel special with matches. And hey, I like feeling special, that is why I bought the expensive lighters, but I feel they are just going to make me feel like I wasted a lot of money. :)
I dislike the fact that Zippo catches me every now and then by surprise and I have to refil it, but Zippo is also special for me due to the Nostalgia, it has a legacy. I also see that Zippo released a butane insert but haven’t tried yet….

May 17, 2024
Far West Txas
Not sure I can comment on the taste between the three, But I understand that tobacco only requires less than 500 degrees Fahrenheit to burn and lighters butane especially burns at over 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. Which makes it harder on your lungs.

Reactions: epazikas and JOHN72

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
Not sure I can comment on the taste between the three, But I understand that tobacco only requires less than 500 degrees Fahrenheit to burn and lighters butane especially burns at over 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. Which makes it harder on your lungs.
As far as I can tell your info above it correct. But considering the fact that stick matches and soft flame lighters, even butane soft flame lighters all burn around 1400 degrees. There should not be much of a difference on how they affect you!

Reactions: epazikas and JOHN72

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Ive owned many lighters.
I have two Old Boys, but haven't used them in a decade.
I use Bic for pipes and Ronson Jet for cigars......period.
Bic has never failed me and never scorched a rim.
When I started smoking a pipe it was matches ONLY, thats what the internet told me. I did it for a couple years, then to the Bic.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm lazy, so I primarily use a BIC. Occasionally I pull out a box of Swan Vesta sulfurless matches and do it old school. To me, one difference between lighters and matches is that I have better control of the lighting up with a match.

Reactions: epazikas