PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I'm ordering a Thunderbird zippo pipe insert. As of now its matches but mostly a bic. I find it a bit hard on the fingertips when re-lighting deep down the bowl.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
For most of my pipe smoking career it was either matches or a Djeep lighter but this past summer I've picked up a Kiribi lighter. I'm loving that lighter. Works great and lasts weeks on a refill.

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
Virtually always use matches, in particular Swan Vestas as they're the only matches I've found in the UK that you can light off any surface. It's surprising how quickly you learn to use matches in the wind.

reverendsasquatch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Lancaster PA
Both, but mostly a BIC lighter. And that started because when fly fishing, matches not only require 2 hands, but also don't work so well when my hands are damp or when the wind is blowing

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I've been revisiting using more matches, and it is a nice burn, and to each his own, but why so many BICS when a Zippo pipe lighter is cheap, fluid is cheap and a can will last a long time, even when topping off the lighter every day or two, you don't have to keep throwing them away and buying new ones, and they look cool and sound cool and are nice little devices that last for years?

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
interesting, i like matches, they are cheap and comes in handy when i can't find my bic, my dad used to tell me that when he was growing up, there were some native indians called pipil, that used to use 2 stones to light up their tobacco, has anyone ever heard of this?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
interesting, i like matches, they are cheap and comes in handy when i can't find my bic, my dad used to tell me that when he was growing up, there were some native indians called pipil, that used to use 2 stones to light up their tobacco, has anyone ever heard of this?
Certainly well before matches one method of starting a fire was sparking via two stones. But direct lighting of tobacco- the stuff would have to be very dry.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Matches almost all the time. Old Boy sometimes when traveling, only in the very most desperate of times a BIC lighter, I hate the butane taste they have.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Butane taste? Never have had that sensation. Is it possible you're holding the flame quite close to the tobacco and not using the superheated air off the tip of the flame?

I love the fact that if we ask this question 100 times a year, people will always contribute to it, without complaint. It's like a point of pride, "which team are you for?" lighter or matches? Roll Matches Roll!

:puffy:

Me? I'm into the whole ritual of smoking my pipe, so I just await thunderstorms and walk out to where trees have been struck by lightening and use burned bark to ignite my pipes. Natural fire is way better than those chemical ones. :wink:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I like rigging a thin copper wire to a kite, with the end grounded in my pipe bowl, and wait for a good bunch of lightning. Call me Ben! I don't have a source for silk thread as he's reputed to have used, so fishing filament will have to do.

brothertheo

Lurker
Nov 9, 2016
I have used everything from penny matches to hundred dollar lighters over the years.Hell I've even used cannon fuse and lamp wicks before. A Bic is really my got to light though.

Status
Not open for further replies.