Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanicexplorer

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2011
This may seem petty- but what works better for the pipe smoker- standard matches, or a lighter? Is there a special kind of pipe lighter?

I actualy prefer wood matches to ordinary matches or a lighter..

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
Depends on where I am. A lighter is handy if you're out and about. And believe me, once upon a time I was a 'matches' only kind of pipe smoker, even while traveling. I like matches at home or in the office, but it can be such a mess after awhile.
I understand the appeal to stick with matches. It's kind of classy in its own way. But for the smoker I'd suggest going with both.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
I'll typically grab whatever's in arms reach. I have a couple Zippos one of which is a pipe lighter type (easy to convert your standard to one) that I use mostly when I'm out and about, an old Hillman "super lighter" which I find works quite well for a pipe.

I usually use matches but I don't find any difference in taste between them and my Zippo though. I find that Zippo's new formula for their fluid really is flavourless like they say.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I'm a fan of wooden matches....less likely to produce a charred rim on my pipes. And when my ashtray is full of spent matches I save them in the shed for emergency kindling.... :D

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
i try to stay with matches whenever possible. but my pipe lighter comes in handy from time to time

chero

Can't Leave
Dec 25, 2010
one thing that i always didn't like about matches is when you strike one there is some times when a spark flys off to who knows where. and it always leaves me wondering.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
For me... it depends on how much ritual I want.

But, generally it's butane.

However; there are sometimes where only matches will do.

e.g. Irish Oak with a pinch of Perique in my Uncle Arthur Tapered Apple.

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
I feel like the $18 investment in a Zippo (w/ pipe attachment), was money well-spent.

wizbang

Might Stick Around
Mar 4, 2011
A BIC or zippo pipe lighter at home, matches in public. Matces in public seem a little more classy.

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
For folded flakes, I always use my Sillem's Old Boy. The soft horizontal butane flame is just perfect for sturdy flakes.

For mixtures and ready-rubbed flakes, 2 matches. When I smoke a chimney or the tobacco is not perfect or I'm caught in a conversation, I relight with my lighter because it works besser with lower tobacco levels. I'm too old school to tap the ashes before I finish the bowl.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
My "puffing adventures" all take place outside. So I rely on my Zippo (for pipes), but if push comes to shove... I will rub two sticks together till I get'r going too... :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.