Matches? Matches? We Need More Stinkin’ Matches!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Years ago I was a match purist. Lo-tech lighting seemed to be more philosophically aligned with burning leaves in a wooden widget, the scratch & fizz was part of the Smoking Experience, and it appealed to my innate Luddite-ness.

Bought strike-anywhere's by the case (24? boxes in a cube) from a hardcore hardware store that refused to sell pussified safety matches.

Had several of those holder-striker ceramic cup-stand things around the house.

Then the ceramic got too smooth from the abrasiveness of the matches to work well, and I got tired of cleaning the quadrillions of little soot-streamers that floated around the house and clung to everything, so went back to a gas lighter, philosophy be damned.

The end.
Quitter.

• Haha
Reactions: BingBong
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't use matches too often but will at times. I like the ceramic match/striker holder. May have to get one of those. As for collecting matchbooks, I try to collect them from the different pipe and cigar shops I visit. Preferably with the shops logo on it instead of a logo from a cigar brand etc.

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I found 2 boxes of those out in my garage today. I think they were mislabeled though. I couldn't get them to strike on anything so I threw them out. They must have put strike nowhere matches in there by mistake at the factory.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I found 2 boxes of those out in my garage today. I think they were mislabeled though. I couldn't get them to strike on anything so I threw them out. They must have put strike nowhere matches in there by mistake at the factory.
Could be that they had soaked up too much moisture. Drying out a box of strike anywhere matches is not for the faint of heart.

Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Could be that they had soaked up too much moisture. Drying out a box of strike anywhere matches is not for the faint of heart.
Exactly.
In other words, it’s a faulty garage, not matches. You threw out the wrong thing.

Seriously, Strike Anywhere will have a different colored tip on the head.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Cosmic says that lining up hundreds at a time along the edge of an indoor table (so the air is still), and heating them within a half-degree of their ignition temp with a propane torch dries them out beautifully. Good as new.

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Sadly, the likes of Swan Vesta, Vulcan and Scottish Bluebell have been history since a 2018 EU directive in the UK... quite a while after the Brexit vote? Hmm.

I'm having a match fad at the moment, quite a lot of one-match lights, so I haven't forgotten how to use, at least, safety matches ;-)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Sadly, the likes of Swan Vesta, Vulcan and Scottish Bluebell have been history since a 2018 EU directive in the UK... quite a while after the Brexit vote? Hmm.

I'm having a match fad at the moment, quite a lot of one-match lights, so I haven't forgotten how to use, at least, safety matches ;-)
The matches pictured above were made in Germany.

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
I 'rediscovered' matches because of pipe-smoking. I use an IM Corona most of the time, but on occasion (esp. with no wind) I like the ritual of taking a match from its box and lighting my pipe with it. I found Three Stars 4" matches and also some misc blue-tip matches (mostly liked the carton). They burn a long time. I happened to have a small wooden box laying around and added a small strike strip to the front lip. Perfect.

IMG_4611.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: FLDRD and woodsroad