Matches? Matches? We Need More Stinkin’ Matches!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, through carelessness, showing off, or accidental ignition. When the flaming sulphur goes flying, watch out!
Ask me how I know! I used to glue a bebe to the top of a strike anywhere, run down the barrel of my gun, and shoot against a hard surface. Ignition a lot of the time.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Connecticut, USA
I buy 8 packs of 32 count strike on box matches for a couple dollars at my local grocery store and Walmart. They work great. You will probably find them by the grilling or Kitchen kit, maybe in the "random crap" aisle of your grocery store.

I've never used a strike anywhere match but even if I had some, I'd probably still strike them on the box for simplicity's sake.
My grocery store has them right next to the lighter fuel, charcoal lighter, car oil and glue, at the end of the cleaning products aisle like bleach. The end of the aisle sign should say "Things that go boom!"

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Years ago I was a match purist. Lo-tech lighting seemed to be more philosophically aligned with burning leaves in a wooden widget, the scratch & fizz was part of the Smoking Experience, and it appealed to my innate Luddite-ness.

Bought strike-anywhere's by the case (24? boxes in a cube) from a hardcore hardware store that refused to sell pussified safety matches.

Had several of those holder-striker ceramic cup-stand things around the house.

Then the ceramic got too smooth from the abrasiveness of the matches to work well, and I got tired of cleaning the quadrillions of little soot-streamers that floated around the house and clung to everything, so went back to a gas lighter, philosophy be damned.

The end.