PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Unless I’m confused and their is a a relation I’m not aware of I was referring to the Match bulk tobacco that Pipes and Cigars sells for around $2.30 and oz not Surliff.
To my knowledge they are one and the same. Sutliff makes the match blends for P&C. SP just sells them under the Sutliff banner.

Reactions: dcon and rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Match Elizabethan/Victorian has a lot of four star reviews. Jiminks being one. You also say Exotic Orange tastes like a strawberry air freshener.
I will stand by that assessment. I’m not sure that JimInks disagrees that exotic passion is horseshit though I would never want to put words in his mouth.

Rouxgaroux is 350x better than match Victorian for one.

@rushx9 do you think this is the best VaPer on the market?

Reactions: rushx9 and gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I will stand by that assessment. I’m not sure that JimInks disagrees that exotic passion is horseshit though I would never want to put words in his mouth.

Rouxgaroux is 350x better than match Victorian for one.

Lol, you guys all have to understand that everyones opinion and tastes are going to differ. Technically there is no "better than the other" if you really think about it. Then again, I never claim to have any better answer than someone else. Just my personal opinion on the matter!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Lol, you guys all have to understand that everyones opinion and tastes are going to differ. Technically there is no "better than the other" if you really think about it. Then again, I never claim to have any better answer than someone else. Just my personal opinion on the matter!
I think a lot of people get cost mixed in with what’s better. It’s cheap.

and you’re right. Some people think Blenders Gold is excellent shit. Others smoke RYO tobacco in cobs. Everyone is right. ?

Reactions: gervais

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
What other VaPers have you tried that you think are worse? I’m not trying to argue I’m just honestly curious. I just wonder to what it’s being compared.

and I’m not trying to discount that it’s a good blend. But the best?

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
On the market? No way. I prefer OGS, Cunningham, Bayou Morning, Curly Block, Cabbie's Mixture, Old Gowrie, Director's Cut, Louisiana Broken, and even Back Down South... does Stonehenge count?
But I do think the Match is the best bang-for-buck simple and straightforward Va/Per out there.
Aaaand I'm hoping with more time in the jar the VAs continue to sweeten and show more character. Fresh out of the bulk bag it tasted a bit wet paper bagish to me. But then, so does Cabbies.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
On the market? No way. I prefer OGS, Cunningham, Bayou Morning, Curly Block, Cabbie's Mixture, Old Gowrie, Director's Cut, Louisiana Broken, and even Back Down South... does Stonehenge count?
But I do think the Match is the best bang-for-buck simple and straightforward Va/Per out there.
Aaaand I'm hoping with more time in the jar the VAs continue to sweeten and show more character. Fresh out of the bulk bag it tasted a bit wet paper bagish to me. But then, so does Cabbies.
Thank you. Just wanted to hear another opinion.

I think it needs some age as well.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I think the biggest endorsement of this blend comes from Jim's review. He says the Match is very close to the Murray's version, one of his all time favorites, and that the STG version pales in comparison. Which is saying a lot when some folks are cellaring back stacks of Elizabethan tins. The thing is, I think Sutliff bags their bulks straight off the line and they get sent out the door with no age. If they are jarred up for a few months they start to taste more like a tinned tobacco. At least this was my experience with the matches for BSOSM, 759, Presbyterian, and other sutliff bulks like 515RC-1, Sweet VA, Lord Nelson, etc. Straight out of the bag they were all a bit flat and dull. After some jar time the VAs became sweeter, fruitier, spicier, and more tangy.

Reactions: JimInks and gervais

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Vapers are my preferred style but I am not bent on labels and some made up tobacco purity law.
Match Victorian is very good straight from the bag. I will have to wait and see what some age does for it.
Bayou morning and poplar camp are my two favorite vapers on the market right now. Old Gowrie, if it is considered a vaper, is up there too.
Another thought, is three friars considered a vaper? If it is, put it at the top of my list.

Reactions: rushx9

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Vapers are my preferred style but I am not bent on labels and some made up tobacco purity law.
Match Victorian is very good straight from the bag. I will have to wait and see what some age does for it.
Bayou morning and poplar camp are my two favorite vapers on the market right now. Old Gowrie, if it is considered a vaper, is up there too.
Another thought, is three friars considered a vaper? If it is, put it at the top of my list.
I liked Victorian better than Bayou Morning, though the latter would do in a pinch.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I smoked Dunhill (Murray) 965 for years. IMO the STG just was/is not the same thing. If you are a smoker of less than 20 years, you probably have only had the STG. The Match is not that ?. The Match is the closest thing that you will find to the Murray’s. With the demise of Syrian Lat, it will never be a real Match. This is one of the deepest items in my cellar and I plan to never be without.

As for the other Match blends, I won’t say that the Match Elizabethan is the best VaPer on the market (I would narrowly give that to Dunbar over a not well publicized favorite) or the best bargain VaPer ( my vote would be D&R Rimboche‘ S.J.). It is quite good. Better with age but, good fresh. It is, also, a closer Match (by design) to the old Murray’s. Once again I prefer it over the Peterson.

The Match BSOM and the Match London Mixture (Big Ben), are quite good but not really a Match and only remotely similar to the originals.

The Match Edgeworth RR is damn good and the Match Night Cap only lacks the cut to be the best replacement for its namesake. I recommend a try of any or all of these.

The only Match that, I have tried, and found somewhat lacking was the Match EMP (Sunrise). I found it unlike the original and just pretty blah. Not bad. Just not a reason for it.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I just tried Victorian match last night for the first time. Was not impressed. Maybe some more drying or some time in the jar will help. My expectations were high from all the good reviews. I didn't get any grassy or hay notes, mostly peppery plummy perique. Also, it seems that everything bulk I have ever gotta from sutliff has that aro humectant taste. I know it's not an aro but that's what I tasted.

Reactions: gervais

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I smoked Dunhill (Murray) 965 for years. IMO the STG just was/is not the same thing. If you are a smoker of less than 20 years, you probably have only had the STG. The Match is not that ?. The Match is the closest thing that you will find to the Murray’s. With the demise of Syrian Lat, it will never be a real Match. This is one of the deepest items in my cellar and I plan to never be without.

As for the other Match blends, I won’t say that the Match Elizabethan is the best VaPer on the market (I would narrowly give that to Dunbar over a not well publicized favorite) or the best bargain VaPer ( my vote would be D&R Rimboche‘ S.J.). It is quite good. Better with age but, good fresh. It is, also, a closer Match (by design) to the old Murray’s. Once again I prefer it over the Peterson.

The Match BSOM and the Match London Mixture (Big Ben), are quite good but not really a Match and only remotely similar to the originals.

The Match Edgeworth RR is damn good and the Match Night Cap only lacks the cut to be the best replacement for its namesake. I recommend a try of any or all of these.

The only Match that, I have tried, and found somewhat lacking was the Match EMP (Sunrise). I found it unlike the original and just pretty blah. Not bad. Just not a reason for it.
Never tried the D&R Rimboche, but may give it a try. Have not liked other D&R blends all that well.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I just tried Victorian match last night for the first time. Was not impressed. Maybe some more drying or some time in the jar will help. My expectations were high from all the good reviews. I didn't get any grassy or hay notes, mostly peppery plummy perique. Also, it seems that everything bulk I have ever gotta from sutliff has that aro humectant taste. I know it's not an aro but that's what I tasted.
I'm interested now to try it and see if I can taste what you describe

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I never do tend to get grassy/hay notes from red Virginia.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Match Victorian is supposed to be close to an exact match of the original Dunhill Elizabethan. Whether it is or isn’t doesn’t matter to me, because I tried it for the first time recently and it is amazing. If Esoterica was making this stuff it would be harder to find than Stonehaven.

Reactions: JimInks

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
You guys are killing me here! I don't read this thread for a couple of days and I come back to find this?

If we're not distinguishing tin or box from bulk then the best VaPer on the market is SG St James Flake! nana (Cue the guys with access to the plug version.) Although I do need to open one my tins of Director's Cut...

All kidding aside, one really should enjoy both the Match Victoria and Rougaroux not have them battle. Also, get yourself some Old Dominion. I think I very much prefer it to the Match Victoria but there's just enough difference to enjoy both depending on your mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.