PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Too testy and 'accusatory'. Assuming he bothers reading it, it'd piss him off and the effort would backfire with such wording.

Something like: "Pipe tobacco belongs in the same categorization as the cigars enjoyed by many respectable and law-abiding adult citizens, a number of which are very likely occupants of your state house", might work better.
I liked it!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I
While sitting here and reading the title of this thread it hit me like a two ton heavy thing and I agree, we should ban all Massachusetts flavored tobacco...
I propose we Ban Massachusetts. Like a Moratorium, nothing goes in and nothing comes out. Just kidding. You get what you vote.... ah Nevermind. ?

Reactions: artvandelay007
Oct 7, 2016
My worry with the entire flavoring ban, is, as you might guess, that this will result in a ban of ALL pipe tobacco, given that per GL Pease, all pipe tobacco is cased with SOME sort of flavoring agent. I understand the difference between topping and casing, and perhaps they only mean TOPPED pipe tobacco, but I see this as a distinction probably lost on the gov'mint.
I have read almost all of the state level pending flavor related legislation. Not a single one makes any distinction whatsoever as to topping or casing.

Reactions: artvandelay007

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I have read almost all of the state level pending flavor related legislation. Not a single one makes any distinction whatsoever as to topping or casing.
Which quite likely means a blanket ban. "It's tobacco! Tobacco of ANY kind is bad! Why waste time distinguishing and making extra articles in the legislation? Away with it all!!"

Reactions: logs
Oct 7, 2016
Which quite likely means a blanket ban. "It's tobacco! Tobacco of ANY kind is bad! Why waste time distinguishing and making extra articles in the legislation? Away with it all!!"
This is what happens when we live under the Articles of Confederation without the benefit of an Interstate Commerce Clause. Oh wait...

The rush to pass state level flavor bans reached a “crisis” when President Trump started to express misgivings about going ahead with a Federal flavor ban. Say what you will about the Federal government!, but there are people at some federal agencies who understand tobacco processing and the difference between casing and topping. There might also be employees at the state level who get that distinction in states where tobacco is important, like Virginia. Massachusetts? Illinois? Not a chance.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
Wilke does not ship tobacco to Massachusetts. Wilke’s address is in Fall River, Massachusetts. I have no earthly idea whether or not they have a physical storefront at that address. Or any other.

Wilke does have a storefront in Fall River, but it's not called Wilke, it's Old Firehouse Smoke Shop. They blend in the back, and sell Wilke, Peterson, and a few other random blends from various brands. The new owner of Wilke is a nice guy, and it would be a shame if they had to stop selling a variety of their blends. They don't have as much clout in the pipe world as Peretti, so I'm sure it would hit hard. It could even put them out of business for good.

They could move a few miles into RI, but it seems like the Governor of RI just copies everything MA does, so it would be a short lived shot in the arm, I'm sure.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This is what happens when we live under the Articles of Confederation without the benefit of an Interstate Commerce Clause. Oh wait...

The rush to pass state level flavor bans reached a “crisis” when President Trump started to express misgivings about going ahead with a Federal flavor ban. Say what you will about the Federal government!, but there are people at some federal agencies who understand tobacco processing and the difference between casing and topping. There might also be employees at the state level who get that distinction in states where tobacco is important, like Virginia. Massachusetts? Illinois? Not a chance.

At the state and local levels you have a much greater possibility of your vote counting or your voice being heard than at the federal level.

Also, it is at least feasible for the average person to move to a different state that has a social/political climate that is more agreeable to them...but moving out of the country is not feasible or realistic for the vast majority of people.

And if everything is federalized, then the states become meaningless. States like MA have been a nightmare regarding many things for a long time. I'm surprised tobacco is still legal there at all.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I propose we Ban Massachusetts. Like a Moratorium, nothing goes in and nothing comes out. Just kidding. You get what you vote.... ah Nevermind. ?

Vote all you want. It just takes a hair over 50% of people to disagree, and then you lose. Contributing and putting your money where your mouth is, will be a heap more effective than your one measly little vote.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
So maybe they will move to a more favorable location, and vote with thier feet. Does that funny potentially medicinal leaf come in flavors? Just wondering if it to fits under the ban. Why, do I feel like I am the only person who finds this oxymoronic?

I know that this is not what's it's about but it seems like we're going to plaid!

But as usual I feel like I am surrounded by @$$h$$+s!

• Haha
Reactions: Elric
Oct 7, 2016
Wilke does have a storefront in Fall River, but it's not called Wilke, it's Old Firehouse Smoke Shop. They blend in the back, and sell Wilke, Peterson, and a few other random blends from various brands. The new owner of Wilke is a nice guy, and it would be a shame if they had to stop selling a variety of their blends. They don't have as much clout in the pipe world as Peretti, so I'm sure it would hit hard. It could even put them out of business for good.

They could move a few miles into RI, but it seems like the Governor of RI just copies everything MA does, so it would be a short lived shot in the arm, I'm sure.
I don’t understand, then, why they don’t ship to Massachusetts.

Oct 7, 2016
At the state and local levels you have a much greater possibility of your vote counting or your voice being heard than at the federal level.

Also, it is at least feasible for the average person to move to a different state that has a social/political climate that is more agreeable to them...but moving out of the country is not feasible or realistic for the vast majority of people.

And if everything is federalized, then the states become meaningless. States like MA have been a nightmare regarding many things for a long time. I'm surprised tobacco is still legal there at all.
Meat packers should be regulated state by state? That ship sailed with the publication of The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. At the federal level, there is at least some chance of people writing regulations that might distinguish between toppings and casings that have traditionally been associated with pipe tobacco and flavoring nicotine delivery devices with a view towards attracting underage users. Notice I said a chance. At the state and local level, except in a few states, there is absolutely no chance of these distinctions being made. None. Theory is nice, though.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I think that's a big part of their plan: turn us all into misanthropes, distrustful of everyone around, and ready to turn against or tell on each other at the drop of a hat (or the whiff of smoke).
I will defend anyone's right to be a Moron. That's the difference. I am not afraid for other AMERICANS do be different (in this Country), or not have the same beliefs as me. I may not agree, and I probably won't adhere, but I will respect your point of view.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I will defend anyone's right to be a Moron. That's the difference. I am not afraid for other AMERICANS do be different (in this Country), or not have the same beliefs as me. I may not agree, and I probably won't adhere, but I will respect your point of view.
while you’re respecting the other persons point of view, are they respecting yours? This entire thread exist because a mob doesn’t respect our point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.