PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
I just called Peretti's this afternoon, and here's the scoop regarding the tobacco ban. They said they can't say for certain how this ban will affect them, but as they read it now, they think they would have to stop selling about 50% of their blends. I imagine it would be similar for Watch City.

The bill has been passed by the legislature, and is awaiting the governor's signature. They encouraged me to call or email the governor, which I did. Here's the email address:

Email the Governor's Office - https://www.mass.gov/forms/email-the-governors-office

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I don't live there but this is certainly disheartening and a sign of things to come if our voice isn't heard. I guess we're collateral damage in a war against "flavored" products that teenagers are supposedly drawn to. Does this only apply to aromatic blends?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Kyle made it easy by posting the link.

Let's take a minute and blow it up!

Hello, Governor.

I am not a resident of your state, but I make purchases that contribute to the economic well being of your constituents.

I am a 50 year old tax paying combat veteran who enjoys the occasional pipe full of tobacco from LJ Peretti's, one of the oldest and well respected tobacconists in the country.

A number of their products would be affected by a piece of legislation concerning "flavored" tobacco products.

I understand that this legislation is intended to diminish use of tobacco products by minors and I support the spirit of it.

Children, however, are NOT buying pipe tobacco. The legislation, as currently written, would diminish a historical institution that brings business and recognition to your state and deprive only adults of a fine, legal product. Pipe tobacco should fall under the same categorization as the cigars that I'm sure the occupants of your state house are quite fond of.

I hope this message finds you well and I wish you a happy and peaceful Thanksgiving.

Regards,

Jay XXXXX
Austin, Texas

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Pipe tobacco should fall under the same categorization as the cigars that I'm sure the occupants of your state house are quite fond of.
Too testy and 'accusatory'. Assuming he bothers reading it, it'd piss him off and the effort would backfire with such wording.

Something like: "Pipe tobacco belongs in the same categorization as the cigars enjoyed by many respectable and law-abiding adult citizens, a number of which are very likely occupants of your state house", might work better.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I think YOU"RE too testy. nana

That's only a light ribbing to illustrate how closely to home that law may hit the state capitol.

I'm sure they get input across the spectrum, from obedient ninnies to frothing madmen. I feel safely in the middle of the pack.

Last edited:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think YOU"RE too testy. nana

That's only a light ribbing to illustrate how closely to home that law may hit the state capitol.
LOL.

I prefer the ego massaging technique because, well, nowadays the lawmakers believe they are exempt from the laws that they force on the population. They don't worry about bans, fully knowing it won't apply to them.

Reactions: jaytex1969
M

Merton

The issue in Massachusetts is that the Governor jumped very quickly in light of the Vaping issue. The result was a sudden ban on all vaping products of any kind as a public health issue. Some pushback resulted in the Courts. Still in litigation. However, the general anti-smoking lobby was suddenly empowered and, with the legislative year coming to an end, the generally left leaning state legislature pushed through a bill which eliminates the broad spectrum of flavored tobacco without any carve out for tobacco products which are clearly not being used by minors, notably cigars and pipe tobacco. The aim was probably to eliminate all tobacco but it was couched mostly as applying to Vaping and menthol cigarettes. The pipe tobacco consumer, and to a lesser extent the cigar smoker (inasmuch as flavored cigars are not the best sellers), were and are simply the victim fish caught in the net. The Governor, who is a moderate Republican (in the sense of the long tradition of New England Republicans) has not indicated whether he will sign the Bill. He is under substantial pressure from all sides. Meanwhile, the traffic heading north on Rte. 3 to Cow Hampshire grows heavier with New Hampshire Vape stores offering Massachusetts residents a discount.

Reactions: kylef

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I suspect this will have wider implications for residents of Massachusetts other than just not being able to get their favorite Perettis and WCC blends. B&Ms will have to stop selling aromatics and internet websites may decide to not sell to MA residents altogether rather than deciding which blends fall under the umbrella of being flavored and which dont.

Reactions: leafsmoker
M

Merton

The amusing part, by the way, is that most New Hampshire residents call the residents of the Commonwealth, "Massholes". Well, at least until they need top notch medical care...

Reactions: jaytex1969

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
The amusing part, by the way, is that most New Hampshire residents call the residents of the Commonwealth, "Massholes"...

Jerry-Seinfeld-011.jpg

(And I post that as a Mass resident)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Jay's zinger is within bounds. Sad but true, if you're too nice, it is not taken seriously. You fall into the obedient ninny department. If you're too vitriolic, you begin not to make much sense, in the self-defeating category. But yes, the more you can line up your argument with groups they care about and who have influence, the more you make them think. I think legislators and governor's staff read mail. They long to know which way the wind is blowing. So have at it, I'd say.

Oct 7, 2016
nternet websites may decide to not sell to MA residents altogether rather than deciding which blends fall under the umbrella of being flavored and which dont.
Wilke does not ship tobacco to Massachusetts. Wilke’s address is in Fall River, Massachusetts. I have no earthly idea whether or not they have a physical storefront at that address. Or any other.

M

Merton

Except there's a sizable number of minors that use cheap cigars to smoke weed. All those shitty fruit flavored cigars that most of us wouldn't be caught dead smoking, those are the most popular ones with young people.
I think that that is somewhat less true at present, although it certainly occurred in the past. However, i do take your point and note that i was thinking of higher end cigars which are not generally flavored.

Reactions: logs

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I continue to watch tobacco legislation closely, 1. Because it's sort of my thing to watch legislation progress regarding things I care about, and 2. Because I truly enjoy (as you all do) pipes and cigars, and I stand with all of you who wish to be able to carry on the free practice of a time honored tradition. My worry with the entire flavoring ban, is, as you might guess, that this will result in a ban of ALL pipe tobacco, given that per GL Pease, all pipe tobacco is cased with SOME sort of flavoring agent. I understand the difference between topping and casing, and perhaps they only mean TOPPED pipe tobacco, but I see this as a distinction probably lost on the gov'mint.

With the approaching bill banning internet sales of all tobacco products (except "premium" cigars costing more than $12), we must mobilize like the CRA (though I realize we're fewer in numbers and have less clout). I continue to build my cellar and humidor via our local B&M as my state already has this ban. It behooves us (and I'm sure we've tried) to join with the CRA to work on this problem.

Reactions: artvandelay007
Status
Not open for further replies.