PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I’m jarring in wide mouth half pint jars and with most blends they seem to hold about two ounces. Is there anything wrong with this size for long term storage. I like the wide mouth for ease of access and the smaller size seams like a good amount to open and use in a reasonable time. Thanks!
Nope. I do the exact same thing. It’s been working well for me.

Sleb1012

Lurker
Mar 14, 2020
Summerville, South Carolina
Just started cellaring tobacco in jars. This may be a silly question, but if you pop a pint jar that was stored and you won’t smoke it all right away, should you leave the rest in the large jar or transfer to smaller jars? Will any harm to the tobacco occur?

Reactions: BROBS

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Just started cellaring tobacco in jars. This may be a silly question, but if you pop a pint jar that was stored and you won’t smoke it all right away, should you leave the rest in the large jar or transfer to smaller jars? Will any harm to the tobacco occur?
depends on the jar; were they sterilized proprly; how much air did you let into the jar upon popping it? Alot will disagree but I don't fret over drying; I am more worried about mold spores and moisture from the air getting to the already moist tobacco. i leave my stuff to dry then rehydrate; especially since i don't smoke much. i'd rather lose it to crispy crackle then to fungusy blue and white molds

Reactions: BROBS and Mis Pipas

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I do not use jars larger than pint jars, which hold about 4 oz of ribbon cut. I leave it in that jar as I smoke it down until it's about halfway down, then cram the rest into half pint jars.

However, it doesn't seem ideal to me to have a few inches of air headspace above the tobacco, so recently I switched to putting all of the bulk I buy into half pint jars, which I smoke fast enough or leave closed for extended periods.

Reactions: BROBS

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
In this forum there are people with many years of experience.
My concern is: How long can Mason Jars keep tobacco in good condition?

I’ve been cellaring for less than 5 years, so take this thought with that in mind.

Cellaring is an exercise in diminishing returns, meaning, the longer you store it the less the tobacco changes. But, it still changes. Conventional wisdom seems to indicate that 5 - 8 year yields the most dramatic effect. Beyond that, tobacco still ages but the rate is reduced as time passes, but eventually, the tobacco ages too much. Everything I’ve read seems to indicate that after 30 - 50 years things tend to get worse.

My thoughts on this are: the benefits of aging seems to come from bacteria which must consume something. Initially, it’s converts the bits we don’t like into the bits that we do. Then, it slowly it converts things we do like into things we also like. Eventually, it either converts the things we like into things we don’t, or it simply consumes everything.

Anywho, I don’t plan to cellar anything past 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.