PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
In this forum there are people with many years of experience.
My concern is: How long can Mason Jars keep tobacco in good condition?

Attachments

• 20200305_St Bruno 2018 in Savinelli Fantasy 673.jpg
    20200305_St Bruno 2018 in Savinelli Fantasy 673.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: mingc

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Not sure... I know I’ve got jars as old as late 2008, early 2009. When I break those out I downsize into smaller jars. Never had a problem.

I’ve heard that with some of your old jars, you want to break them down into smaller jars quickly (after you open them) or the tobacco will turn into “shit dust.” ?

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I have been taking my screw-type tobacco tins and jarring them these last couple of days. I had noticed that I could smell tobacco whenever I opened my storage container so I decided to get it done. Not a lot of smell, but enough to worry me. I have packed at least 15 jars. On the whole, the tobacco was just fine; only one tin was a bit crispy, but far from being "mummy dust". I just finished jarring 2 tins from the Chicagoland Pipe Show 2011, MacBaren HH Highland Blend. They were not moist but still had some spring to them. Just right for smoking IMO. I probably have another couple of dozen screw-type tins to go. And I have made the decision to not jar the pop-type tins for now. They are all in fine condition and have no odor of tobacco about them whatsoever. That could change in the future but for now, I am content with that.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I also have airtight plastic, but I prefer glass and I'm not sure I know whyView attachment 22383

Because there is no such thing as airtight plastic. It would certainly preserve the tobacco longer than not having it at all but it is nowhere near as good as a mason jar. Probably well more than adequate for keeping an opened tin fresh while being smoked.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Because there is no such thing as airtight plastic. It would certainly preserve the tobacco longer than not having it at all but it is nowhere near as good as a mason jar. Probably well more than adequate for keeping an opened tin fresh while being smoked.
plastic bags and plastic containers do breathe.

Reactions: Mis Pipas

RobertL

Lurker
Dec 1, 2019
I’m jarring in wide mouth half pint jars and with most blends they seem to hold about two ounces. Is there anything wrong with this size for long term storage. I like the wide mouth for ease of access and the smaller size seams like a good amount to open and use in a reasonable time. Thanks!

Reactions: BROBS and Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.