PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Tough to say without nomenclature. A shape number or even a COM stamp might help identify who made their pipes for them. Or then again it might not!

I’ve seen a variety of M&W tobacciana items (eg mixing bowls, pipe stands, cigarette cases) but only a couple of pipes. Here’s a cased amber eagle claw pipe pulled from Worthpoint:

4600CEFF-A190-49A7-ACAC-81B83D595CD4.jpeg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
They look like a pair of attractive, well-built briars. Are there closer-up photos of stamps/nomenclature?

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
They now replied :

Good Afternoon Roland,

Thank you for making contact with us here at Mappin & Webb.

As you may be aware, Mappin & Webb traces its history back to 1775 and during the early 1900s had a prominent presence in all four corners of the world. Below is a link to the Mappin & Webb story, should this be of interest.

http://www.mappinandwebb.com/our-history

Comparative to our vast history, our archive is sadly very limited indeed. Similarly, our sales information is also limited and our records are available for the required 6 years.

As a result, in terms of conclusively identifying, or providing specific information regarding your pipe we regret to inform that we are unable to assist further.

Good luck with your research and we hope to be able to serve you in one of our Mappin & Webb boutiques in the future.

With kind regards,

Sam

The Mappin & Webb Team
www.mappinandwebb.com

Reactions: yanoJL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder if they could be house pipes stamped with the jeweler's name, made by a well known or lesser known pipe maker. They look to be of some quality.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Hi mso,
I suppose they are, but M&W was by no means a pipe seller. Their limited ( meaning sloppy ) archives
do not reveal anything about the pipes provenance. I can not comprehend how a firm operating since 1775
does a poor job on archiving, also does not properly perform on sales information.
The pipes look to be of good quality and learning they meanwhile were sold saddened me.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Their limited ( meaning sloppy ) archives
do not reveal anything about the pipes provenance. I can not comprehend how a firm operating since 1775
does a poor job on archiving, also does not properly perform on sales information.

Orlando, I’m sorry you missed out on the pipes. They looked very cool, and if I had to guess on the basis of very little information would say they seem like Comoys to me.

As for the lack of history from a 245 year old company I suspect the answer is simple: the business has been merged and/or sold five times since the 1960s, and in my personal experience changes in ownership almost inevitably result in records being lost. See this précis from Wikipedia:

024752DA-AD6A-4D96-B8B7-6E89F6CCDDAD.jpeg

Dec 10, 2013
Hello Jon,

Thank you adding the Wiki info . Wiki is always my " first aid " and so it was now .
Yesterday my mind was a blur and the thought to post somehow did not entertain me ; our small community could not do without you anymore.
This probably accounts for poor archiving and lost records.

Odd, Comoy's was my first hunch too :)

Actually the pipes were already sold before the seller ( the lady I bought the Comoy's OB from )
posted me photo's . It was a misunderstanding, I asked if she had more pipes for sale.
The gentleman she sold them to posted her the photo after refurbishing .

Dec 10, 2013
Mappin and Webb's Paris shop was one of the early retailers of Dunhill pipes. I have a 1920 amber-stemmed billiard in a Ventage case with Mappin & Webb stamped in gold lettering on the exterior.
Craig,
So their house pipes could have been carved by Dunhill ?
The M&W employee I chatted with assured me they sold no pipes in the London shop.
Assumptions are the mother of all misunderstandings.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Craig,
The M&W employee I chatted with assured me they sold no pipes in the London shop.

I’m skeptical about that. I know Dunhill off-loaded inferior stummels by selling them to competitors but I never heard of them making private label pipes for anyone else. Moreover that just doesn’t sound like Alfred Dunhill’s MO at all. The Dunhill brand was everything and I can’t imagine him diverting the Company’s focus by entering this segment of the market.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Craig,
I doubt Dunhill made M&W-branded pipes.

Mine is clearly a Dunhill, but with the M&W name on the case in gold. Dunhill is also visible as an impression in the leather on the outside and on a label on the inside.

PXL_20210508_175324149.jpg
PXL_20210508_175332994.jpgPXL_20210508_175346752.jpg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Orlando, I’m sorry you missed out on the pipes. They looked very cool, and if I had to guess on the basis of very little information would say they seem like Comoys to me.

As for the lack of history from a 245 year old company I suspect the answer is simple: the business has been merged and/or sold five times since the 1960s, and in my personal experience changes in ownership almost inevitably result in records being lost. See this précis from Wikipedia:

View attachment 78990
also how much info they share is part of their strategy and if they think it will help their brand more to be open about history and all that or if a more esoteric approach will suit their marketing image better. Sometimes things do better if their is a hippness factor of only certain people know and you have to go through more steps to find the info. Makes things feel more mysterious and select.