PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've never fully understood why men would want to wear scent. Whether it be aftershave or eau de Cologne, why?

My late father used to use Old Spice and I asked him why when I was about 12, he replied along the lines of "wait 'till you start shaving boy then you'll know". Well I waited but still never used the stuff.

Regards,

Jay.?
Our sense of smell is powerful. It is a big part of the enjoyment of tobacco, wine, whiskey, etc...

I think there is something to the link between smell, memory and or perception/ feeling. Different smells evoke different feelings. Sounds a bit hokey, but it’s true. Wearing a scent that reminds you of summer, or being outdoors, or imagined other places can be pleasant.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hawky, holy shit! ?
View attachment 42367

It better make women’s clothes fall right off for that price! ?
Of course I am that guy whose usual fragrance is “soap.” ?
It’s quite the charmer but it doesn’t do all the work. But, I never pay full retail on those things, I can get a size up from the one you posted for about $150 depending on the market at the time. I know $150 sounds like a lot, just like it did when I first started smoking a pipe, I thought I would never go above $80 for a pipe but the deeper yet get the more money you are willing to spend, once you smell the difference in quality, I just couldn’t go back to the overly synthetic cheap fragrances. But I’m not a snob by any means. There are a lot of bottles I’ve picked up for $30 that are wonderful. Mont Blanc (yup the pen maker) makes some great ones, so does Dunhill. Perry Ellis M is an amazing fragrance and it can be had for $20. It goes great with pipe smoke too.

Ive chilled out a lot from my fragrance buying but I used to have a “cellar” of fragrances. Now I just stick with my favorites and just like in the tobacco world, I buy many bottles of the same fragrance as many of the higher quality ones get better with age. There are so many parallels to fragrances and pipe tobacco, it’s a trip once you go down that rabbit hole.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Our sense of smell is powerful. It is a big part of the enjoyment of tobacco, wine, whiskey, etc...

I think there is something to the link between smell, memory and or perception/ feeling. Different smells evoke different feelings. Sounds a bit hokey, but it’s true. Wearing a scent that reminds you of summer, or being outdoors, or imagined other places can be pleasant.
Absolutely agree! Smell is in a way like traveling through time. It’s very powerful. I’ve always been fascinated with scents, be it outdoors in the Flagstaff winter and smelling the smoke of the chimneys in the crisp air of winter or the wonderful smells that spring brings with it. Could be my huge nose and I’m that I’m extra sensitive to smells but I can honestly say that I wear fragrances for no one other than myself.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
In the US, I'm not sure if I even know anyone that wears cologne or after shave any more.

Brian-Fantana-60-of-the-time-it-works-every-time-Anchorman.gif

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
It’s quite the charmer but it doesn’t do all the work. But, I never pay full retail on those things, I can get a size up from the one you posted for about $150 depending on the market at the time. I know $150 sounds like a lot, just like it did when I first started smoking a pipe, I thought I would never go above $80 for a pipe but the deeper yet get the more money you are willing to spend, once you smell the difference in quality, I just couldn’t go back to the overly synthetic cheap fragrances. But I’m not a snob by any means. There are a lot of bottles I’ve picked up for $30 that are wonderful. Mont Blanc (yup the pen maker) makes some great ones, so does Dunhill. Perry Ellis M is an amazing fragrance and it can be had for $20. It goes great with pipe smoke too.

Ive chilled out a lot from my fragrance buying but I used to have a “cellar” of fragrances. Now I just stick with my favorites and just like in the tobacco world, I buy many bottles of the same fragrance as many of the higher quality ones get better with age. There are so many parallels to fragrances and pipe tobacco, it’s a trip once you go down that rabbit hole.
$150 is not bad. I don’t really wear cologne, but if I did, I could see that.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
There are a lot of bottles I’ve picked up for $30 that are wonderful. Mont Blanc (yup the pen maker) makes some great ones, so does Dunhill. Perry Ellis M is an amazing fragrance and it can be had for $20. It goes great with pipe smoke too.

I see a lot of the expensive colognes at place like T.J. Maxx and Marshall's when I have to go shopping with the wife. Most of them are priced 50 to 75% less than MSRP.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Old Spice, Tabac and Brut must be the trifecta of 70's/80's manly scent in the nordic countries. Brings back childhood memories :)

There is even a quite successful Swedish trotting stud farm named for the aftershave Tabac.
View attachment 42363

Personally I'm a Hega man, old school after shave alcoholic splash made in Uppsala, Sweden
View attachment 42365
Oh yes ,thanks for the reminder, we used to have here Hega*balm here as well,and it was quite widespread, this one was also one of my late Daddys favorite aftershave product, but this might be because he had spent his boyhood in Sweden back in the 40-50ies,,I shall check for the availability

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I see a lot of the expensive colognes at place like T.J. Maxx and Marshall's when I have to go shopping with the wife. Most of them are priced 50 to 75% less than MSRP.
Yes, I used to visit those places like I visit with the tobacconist. I’ve gotten a lot of excellent fragrances there. Stuff like Cartier, Hermès and sometimes you’ll even see really high end stuff like Bond #9. Great place to shop for discounted fragrances!

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Pinaud Clubman for me. Every once in a while I’ll splash on some bay rum or the old Old Spice. Sometime I’ll make up a mixture of Clubman and witch hazel for an excellent aftershave. It diminishes the scent but makes your face feel like a baby’s butt after a rough shave.

I normally don’t use aftershave but the colognes I got recently came with an aftershave tag along

1. For many years till 2018 I would use Givenchy Pi as my cologne. The last set from 2018 has an aftershave as well
2. Since 2019 my wife is gifting me a different cologne in January. 2019 January onwards I am using Chanel Platinum Egoiste. Don’t think it came with an aftershave and if it did, it is hidden somewhere in the dresser
3. This January I got a bottle of Prada Carbon which came with an aftershave

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
I’m a freak when it comes to this stuff. I love fragrances too. It’s another “thing” I’m into. I like to find scents that smell good with tobacco.

my favorites are:

Creed Green Irish Tweed
Creed Royal Mayfair
Creed Silver Mountain Water
Le Labo Santal 33
Francis Kurkdjian APOM
Francis Kurkdjian Masculin Pluriel

Among many others.

Check out Wet Shaving Products, Wet Shaving Products - https://wetshavingproducts.com/. I have no affiliation but I have quite a few different products from them and they have some great stuff. They make some "match" scents to some you have listed. Some are quite good in their own right including their match for Creed GIT.

lraisch

Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I agree that the current Old Spice is but a pallid imitation of it's former self, though I use it because my wife LOVES it!

I didn't much care for the Indian version either.

In this warmer weather, I've taken to using a lime shave cream and a West Indian lime skin food as an aftershave splash. The scent doesn't last very long but it's very refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.