PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've never understood it. Of course, I grew up in the deep south in Texas. I never even saw that combo until I was in my twenties.

I see it more up north in the States and around some European countries. I would agree however, I've seen it less and less over the past five years here in Ohio.

Reactions: OSOBUCO
Jan 27, 2020
It seems very much a "down te shore thing"
View attachment 147046
Apple cider vinegar at Thrasher’s French Fries in Ocean City, MD.
They don’t even have ketchup, only malt vinegar.
Love ‘em (though I do enjoy fries with my ketchup, & sometimes as an excuse to eat mayonnaise).

It seems very much like a "down the shore" or country fair type thing. If anyone here finds themselves at Island Beach State Park in NJ the concession stand inside the park has really good French fries and malt vinegar.

Reactions: cossackjack

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Malt vinegar on chips is quite the norm over here.....especially when served with deep fried fish. That said, when I discovered mayonnaise as a condiment for chips whilst in Europe, I much preferred that option.

What I would call 'fancy' vinegars, balsamic, cider etc etc, they are more for salad dressings and the like.

Regards,

Jay.
Yup, brought up in England and Salt and Vinegar on chips was the standard. Never liked ketchup on chips - not too keen on curry sauce on them either (considered de rigueur in Birmingham). But then I went to the Netherlands... ...now I pretty much always eat chips with mayonnaise.

In my old London office there wasn't so much a North/South divide as a 3rd floor / 1st floor divide (er, 4th/2nd for US floor numbering): people on the first floor ate chips with salt and vinegar and/or ketchup. People on the 3rd floor all ate chips with mayonnaise.

edit. there are some parts of England where you won't find Vinegar, only non- brewed condiment (an absolute abomination that only passed my lips on one occasion).

Reactions: briarbuck

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Malt vinegar on chips or fries is delish. Only sad backward ignorant little shit holes are unaware of this nor offer it. Proper frite sauce. as one gets in the Netherlands, is a revelation.
Agreed. I had no idea about frite sauce until I went to Belgium. It became something that I ate everyday I was there.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Yup, brought up in England and Salt and Vinegar on chips was the standard. Never liked ketchup on chips - not too keen on curry sauce on them either (considered de rigueur in Birmingham). But then I went to the Netherlands... ...now I pretty much always eat chips with mayonnaise.

In my old London office there wasn't so much a North/South divide as a 3rd floor / 1st floor divide (er, 4th/2nd for US floor numbering): people on the first floor ate chips with salt and vinegar and/or ketchup. People on the 3rd floor all ate chips with mayonnaise.

edit. there are some parts of England where you won't find Vinegar, only non- brewed condiment (an absolute abomination that only passed my lips on one occasion).
I discovered the loveliness of mayonnaise on chips at the Assen TT Races back in the 1980's.

Regards,

Jay.