SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Similarly, I'd like to take a pipe to Florida this summer, but would find it hard to make time.

I'm with you Scott, and pack as less as possible. Leaves room to take more home haha!
Smoking a pipe on the beach is awesome. We have a condo there, and love spending time there at all times of the year. In winter, just walking around in the surf up to my knees while smoking a pipe is awesome.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
One of the advantages to using vacation rentals on some journeys has been the availability of laundry in house and has resulted in the ability to pack so much less for a trip, not that we haven't enjoyed an occasional laundromat but they can be hit or miss. But . . . I've taken along a pipe or two to enjoy on a couple of trips, especially if we are staying in a little house or cottage with a nice outdoor area, will do so come spring for a trip where I know we'll spend some mornings and/or evenings strolling some iconic parks and sitting on benches to relax, but I guess more to unwind and if I find time, but if not, no big deal. My guess is I'll find less time than I expect to, but the few times I do I expect will be worth the effort. One guarantee is I will smoke a cigar in Churchill's chair.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and scloyd

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
I smoke during the rare down times at the hospital. We have a smoking shed the board bought us. I'm not the only pipe smoker either. Most older surgeons I know smoke one.

When traveling I will take time to find the smoking areas of airports. When I get home to Ireland I smoke in pubs or on the street. Smoking laws there are strict. Can't even smoke with someone else in the car. £1000 fine if you do and up to 6 months in jail.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Back in my cigar smoking days I booked into a hotel with smoking bed(rooms)
I smoked a cigar and had to put up with the stink for the rest of the weeks stay.
I was tempted to request a room change except I would have be too embarrassed to tell them why

I’m thankful that there are still hotels in Asia which allow smoking in their bars and lounges.
Good ventilating system means an absence of smoke fug.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I seek out Hotels with a smoking lounge/balcony/garden and these can usually be found in better establishments here in Oz. Pipes wise I take a couple and alternate, affording one some rest.

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
I seek out Hotels with a smoking lounge/balcony/garden and these can usually be found in better establishments here in Oz. Pipes wise I take a couple and alternate, affording one some rest.
The only place I travel to is to see my kids in Evansville or to see my Parents in Cork. Never had to overnight in a hotel. My ex-wife let's me stay in her and her husband's guesthouse. We have a pretty good friendship.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
I travel extensively. I’ve been to over 100 countries. I normally bring four pipes with me and two or three tins of tobacco for a two to three week trip, to make sure I don’t run out, a lesson I learned the hard way last year when I neglected to pack my last tin before checking out of my hotel in Germany. When I arrived in Ireland, I was forced to purchase a 40g pouch at the Peterson store in Dublin which set me back 40 euros. I try to get a hotel room with a balcony as I don’t like staying in smoking rooms. I also check out local ordinances to see where smoking is prohibited and permitted. In Tokyo, e.g., smoking is only permitted in certain designated spots on the sidewalk, and in Nairobi, smoking is prohibited on public sidewalks altogether.

By the way, if you happen to travel to India, lighters on your person or in carry-on luggage will be confiscated when you depart and go through airport security.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I smoke during the rare down times at the hospital. We have a smoking shed the board bought us. I'm not the only pipe smoker either. Most older surgeons I know smoke one.

When traveling I will take time to find the smoking areas of airports. When I get home to Ireland I smoke in pubs or on the street. Smoking laws there are strict. Can't even smoke with someone else in the car. £1000 fine if you do and up to 6 months in jail.
You have a smoking shed in a hospital ? :oops:
How enlightened of the hospital administration.

I poked my nose into a smoking room at an airport once.
The fug of cigarette smoke meant I beat a hasty retreat, But not fast enough to avoid the stench of stale cigarette smoke on my clothes for the next hour :eek:

The anti-smoking laws in Oz are as bad as those in Ireland
Very few places where you can smoke in public.
Unless you lurk in some alley or spend a lot of time in pubs

Which is why 99.999% of my smoking is done in the privacy of home puffy

Reactions: VDL_Piper

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
You have a smoking shed in a hospital ? :oops:
How enlightened of the hospital administration.

I poked my nose into a smoking room at an airport once.
The fug of cigarette smoke meant I beat a hasty retreat, But not fast enough to avoid the stench of stale cigarette smoke on my clothes for the next hour :eek:

The anti-smoking laws in Oz are as bad as those in Ireland
Very few places where you can smoke in public.
Unless you lurk in some alley or spend a lot of time in pubs

Which is why 99.999% of my smoking is done in the privacy of home puffy
It wasn't "enlightened" as a compromise between the administration and the staff. We were still smoking in the on-call rooms lol. The youth in Ireland are the ones pushing for tobacco reform. The Dáil Éireann love pandering to the youth. Too bad they don't push for a united Ireland like the majority want.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I do a lot of traveling by motorcycle, and I try to make sure I have time for at least a short smoke at gas stops. I bring a tent and smoke round the campsite. When I have to stay in a hotel, I always find a designated smoking spot somewhere around the building. As for time, I wake early if necessary, and there’s usually a moment during the day for a smoke. If there isn’t, I feel we’ve packed too much in. I typically bring two little cobs, a bic, a pipe tool, some cleaners, and a bag of dark burley

Reactions: warren99

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It wasn't "enlightened" as a compromise between the administration and the staff. We were still smoking in the on-call rooms lol. The youth in Ireland are the ones pushing for tobacco reform. The Dáil Éireann love pandering to the youth. Too bad they don't push for a united Ireland like the majority want.
The high school I attended installed a Smoking Room for seniors.
I guess the administration thought it better to know where the kids are, rather than have them hide somewhere in the 150 acres of school grounds getting up to mischief.

Unfortunately this happened a couple of years after I left.
It was fun dodging sports for a fag back then.
And with 150 acres of grounds to lose oneself, no way was a teacher going to find you.

• Wow
Reactions: VDL_Piper

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
I guess the administration thought it better to know where the kids are, rather than have them hide somewhere in the 150 acres of school grounds getting up to mischief.

And with 150 acres of grounds to lose oneself, no way was a teacher going to find you.
I've never smoked a fag. Went straight for the pipe. My dad and gramps always smoked one and it was just natural for me to pick up. 150 acres is bonkers lad. Though I graduated secondary at 14. I'm a smart one.

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Smoking a pipe on the beach is awesome. We have a condo there, and love spending time there at all times of the year. In winter, just walking around in the surf up to my knees while smoking a pipe is awesome.
unfortunately, here in California, smoking is strictly verboten on beaches. :mad: Although I must confess that there is nothing worse, save perhaps a jellyfish sting, than stepping barefoot on a smoldering cigarette butt.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
The only place I travel to is to see my kids in Evansville or to see my Parents in Cork. Never had to overnight in a hotel. My ex-wife let's me stay in her and her husband's guesthouse. We have a pretty good friendship.
It’s always nice when you have a healthy relationship with ex partners, doesn’t always happen though. Cork is very nice, stayed there a few nights on a trip not so long ago catching up with relatives. Most of my family are from the North though.

Reactions: King Bulldog

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia

This sounds like my kinda school the La Salle brothers where I went loved the ruler and cane when it came to smoking.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've never smoked a fag. Went straight for the pipe. My dad and gramps always smoked one and it was just natural for me to pick up. 150 acres is bonkers lad. Though I graduated secondary at 14. I'm a smart one.
Pretty much in the outskirts of Sydney in the 1960’s
It was as rural a school as my parents could find where I would not be tempted by the “bright lights”
Given the Sydney urban sprawl of the last few decades, that 150 acres fetched a pretty penny when sold off some time back.
Ugly MacMansions dotted all over now.
I can’t bring myself to re-visit the Alma Mater

Reactions: King Bulldog