PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have smoked a pipe for over four decades. When I was working, it wasn't always convenient or easy to find time or make time to smoke my pipe. Early in my career, I could and did smoke my pipe in the teacher's lounge. Those days ended with the rise of anti-smoking laws. Later, I would smoke my pipe in my car while on my long drives to work. Of course now that I am retired, I can smoke anytime. But, I am someone who travels a lot. Making time and finding a place to have a smoke while traveling is something I make plans for when planning my trips.

I generally travel with four pipes and several types of tobacco. I look for hotels with smoking patios or balcony smoking. If I am on a ship, I make sure they have a smoking lounge. When traveling overseas, many restaurants allow smoking on the patio and that is always a nice way to end dinner.

If you are someone who travels from time to time, what do you do to make sure you can have a relaxing smoke while away from home?

I never travel with less than 12 pipes, but when flying, which is not my preferred way to travel, I will just ask someone where I can smoke between flights. There is always somewhere.
Driving is easier to smoke, because, well, I just smoke.
Hotels, I just smoke. Pipesmoke doesn't leave the same odors in a room as cigarettes, but my wife will carry a can of ozone spray to just make sure. In all of our stays in hotels and such, no one has even claimed they smelled smoke, nor in rental cars. I always watch their faces when they inspect the car, and never a twitch of suspicion, and we are talking 100's of rental cars.

Last edited:
Oh, and I don't do boats. I mean, I do love to charter boats for different things, or join friends on their boats, but you won't get me on a cruise. It goes against everything I find enjoyable about vacationing. Last thing I want to do in a foreign country is be couped up with other nasty Americans with their snot nosed little shits. I want to be around nasty foreigners in their country with their little shits, ha ha.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I never travel with less than 12 pipes, but when flying, which is not my preferred way to travel, I will just ask someone where I can smoke between flights. There is always somewhere.
Driving is easier to smoke, because, well, I just smoke.
Hotels, I just smoke. Pipesmoke doesn't leave the same odors in a room as cigarettes, but my wife will carry a can of ozone spray to just make sure. In all of our stays in hotels and such, no one has even claimed they smelled smoke, nor in rental cars. I always watch their faces when they inspect the car, and never a twitch of suspicion, and we are talking 100's of rental cars.
Why doesn’t pipe tobacco leave the same odors? (I’ve noticed that too).
It’s VAs, Burley, etc….the same types going into cigarettes.

Why doesn’t pipe tobacco leave the same odors?
There are so many ways in which pipe smoke smells way better than cigarettes. Too many to explain, but it just does. I can't believe people don't immediately understand this, especially pipe smokers.
However, I avoid smoking an aro inside somewhere, because the next day those do tend to smell cigarettey or acrid is a better word.

Some tobacco is indeed more detectable than others. I used to smoke Mac B's Golden Extra almost exclusively. There were several occasions in memory when people in the same room, like at a party, mentioned that they didn't know anyone was smoking, or that they didn't know my pipe was lit, etc.
I've shopped my way all the way back to the frozen section of the grocers with my pipe going before I even realized that I was smoking, and I turned to the worker and apologized, and they said they didn't smell anything. They thought that I was just carrying it around like a dog with a bone, ha ha. Virginias, either people love the smell, or they don't smell them at all.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
The only cruise I ever took was a Concord to London and return via the QE-II and that was when you could smoke anywhere except on the flight over. Ive been to Bali, Mexico, Canada, Bahamas, Caymans, Jamaica, Honduras, Panama, Bolivia, Germany,Belgium, South Korea, Kuwait, Israel and some others and no-one really cared. I usually rent a House or if in a metropolitan area ensure I have a balcony or courtyard. I carry about 6 or 7 pipes and tobaccos in a Locked Pelican Case inside a larger Pelican case. If Im packing a firearm same applies. I always carry nicotine gum as well. I hate flying and even more I hate cruises but the QE2 folks aren’t exactly the buffet line clientele.
The only way I’d fly anymore would be Korean Air or Cathay Pacific as their service and standards put all others to shame.

Reactions: Scottmi

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
There are so many ways in which pipe smoke smells way better than cigarettes. Too many to explain, but it just does. I can't believe people don't immediately understand this, especially pipe smokers.
However, I avoid smoking an aro inside somewhere, because the next day those do tend to smell cigarettey or acrid is a better word.
Squadron leader (which I do like) and BCF are the only ones people have remarked to me that the room note smells like cigarettes

Squadron leader (which I do like) and BCF are the only ones people have remarked to me that the room note smells like cigarettes
Honestly, I have never found a pipe tobacco that smelled like cigarettes. I think that most of the smell from cigarettes comes from the paper. When I am walking up on a cigarettes smoker, usually the aroma of burning paper is the first hint of smell that I get before I smell the full on cigarette.

But, hey, if someone is such a rule follower that they would just never smoke in a rental of any kind, then very well. I always check the contract to see what they charge you if you do smoke, and usually I can afford it, so I just ignore the rule. But, I would never stay in a smoking hotel. After someone has smoked cigarettes in a place, it is uninhabitable, IMO. And, I would never allow someone to smoke cigarettes in my car or home. So....

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
We transit back and forth 1000’s of miles in our car every year. Mrslax usually permits me a cigar a day on my driving shifts that I put out and relight over the day. I use a metal coffee cup with a sealed top as my ashtray. I usually research smoking opportunities before I go anywhere. I really want to take a vacation in Mexico with a nearby la Casa to hangout at. We took our first cruise last year and I really enjoyed my daily cigars in the lounge. Next cruise will have an indoor “Captain’s Club” type cigar lounge though.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Ha ha, no I wouldn't stay at those places. However, I'm sure the smell of urine and mold would mask any quality pipe smoke at those places.
Idk what Hamptons you have stayed at but there the most widely available decent hotel out there IMO. I travel a lot for work and have been a Hilton Diamond member for 12 years and I can only think of 3-4 stays that the hotel was bad. Bad enough I didn’t stay. The next time I was in the area they were a different “cheaper” brand. Interesting that you smoke in the room. I’m always tempted but don’t want to end up with the $200-300 cleaning fee. Same with rental cars. I may have to give it a go.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I never smoke when I travel except when I take our camper out and then it's one pipe and one jar of tobacco.

Recently we went to Vegas, didn't smoke. In Paris, didn't smoke. Going to London in April...the pipes are staying home. I'm just not interested in bringing more stuff. I like to pack as little as possible.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I never smoke when I travel except when I take our camper out and then it's one pipe and one jar of tobacco.

Recently we went to Vegas, didn't smoke. In Paris, didn't smoke. Going to London in April...the pipes are staying home. I'm just not interested in bringing more stuff. I like to pack as little as possible.
Similarly, I'd like to take a pipe to Florida this summer, but would find it hard to make time.

I'm with you Scott, and pack as less as possible. Leaves room to take more home haha!