Mac Baren's Vanilla Roll Cake, Worth a Buy?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
What do you normally smoke and have you had their other vanilla blends.

The vanilla loose and flake are very vanilla cream. I think the loose tends to be a little sweeter.

In comparison, I put the vanilla roll cake like the others but with a gingerbread like spice I’m assuming from the DFK.
I have had the vanilla flake, which I have tried a bit of. Didn't hate it, but didn't taste that much of anything of it. Now I feel that my palate is slowly evolving which is exciting, and I think I am ready for this.

I normally smoke VaPers and some Englishes. I love St Bruno :)

ashauler

Lurker
Jan 6, 2021
Wichita, KS
One of my favorites. I think the toppings are done very well and allows the tobacco to shine through in all the right spots. For me it is sweet, with the right amount of tang/grass from the Va's and some backbone from the Burley. Plenty of N for satisfaction, at least for me. Easy to pack and easy to smoke and hasn't bitten me yet.

KaunThePiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2022
New England
www.instagram.com
I really enjoy this cake/coin. It packs well in multiple techniques. You can stack and pack on the fly because of the small size, or stack and rub it out for a nice quick aeration. Aerating it will allow the vanilla to mild a little too. It's a great smoke for pipers like me, who generally avoid aromatic tobaccos. Sometimes I do want that vanilla flavor, but not an overpowered vanilla missile. And the Burley shines in this with light vanilla and pleasant Virginias and cavendished Virginias.PXL_20220106_204302784.jpg

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I'm normally a Virginia and a Balkan smoker, but I do also like the vanilla in a couple of crossover blends -- Northwoods and Whiskey Biscuit Gravy.

I've found Vanilla Roll Cake to be an extremely worthwhile smoke.

I don't taste the cavendish, as in anything else I've tried with Vanilla. It's a legitimate, high quality roll cake of Virginias with a bit of burley.

I typically dislike burley, but whatever I dislike about burley does not come through in this blend. There's a bit of nutty-smokiness that I can tell is burley, but it doesn't turn me off at all, in this one. And it's dominated by the Virginias anyway.

The vanilla is NOT like birthday-cake vanilla as in many vanilla blends. It's just like vanilla extract. Earthy vanilla. Vanilla scraped out of a vanilla pod, and un-sweetened.

The Vanilla somehow fully asserts itself without in any way masking the natural, grassy/nutty tobacco.
They partner side-by-side... not like 50/50, but like 100/100 (somehow).

I could see this being liked by VA smokers open to trying a natural flavoring, and I could likewise see this being liked by Aro smokers open to tasting real tobacco.

Probably one of those that everybody should try.