PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I believe you meant no notice.
HU has done the same thing.

I do believe that at one time Burley London Blend was sold in other markets.
My error. I wish I had caught that, but I'm glad you did. Thanks!

K&K did that to several blends in the HU line, and products by other companies as well. BLB was sold in many countries during its time. I'm glad I stocked some of the old stuff, but I wish I could have bought some of the new production. Can't buy everything.

Reactions: Casual

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Most states have posted speed limits on their roads but that doesn't mean the majority of the drivers on them observe the speed limit. Or ever get fined. The vast majority are driving some amount over the speed limit. Being on the hook doesn't mean much when the likelihood of the hook ever being set and reeled in is near zero.
True. But nonetheless there is a potential for being assessed. I was merely pointing this out to the poster, who seemed to be unaware.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Harley Davidson made a resounding comeback a few decades ago by (ignorantly) utilizing this technique. Of course, there were other factors in play such as Willie G. returning to the helm and making them cool again with the Great American Comeback Story, their complete inability to scale their operation which resulted in scarcity for their product = desirable = waiting lists = buy-whatever-you-could-get-your-hands-on-at-whatever-the-price, even though they were still making the same bike they were making 50 years prior with the same technology and probably tooling....

I have owned a Harley of some sort since I was a wee lad and will always have one or two in my stable until I can no longer ride so I am allowed to talk shit about them. puffy
Me too. Been riding 43 years. Currrent scoot is a 2015 Roadglide.

It’s a better analogy than you perhaps imagine. All of the old men have their Harley’s and the younger generation just isn’t that interested. The kids today just don’t get excited by the smell of gasoline.

Like pipes. There are a few coming into the fold. It has to become niche cool but will only do so for a small segment.

Reactions: sandollars

JoeKemp

Lurker
Jan 17, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Most states have posted speed limits on their roads but that doesn't mean the majority of the drivers on them observe the speed limit. Or ever get fined. The vast majority are driving some amount over the speed limit. Being on the hook doesn't mean much when the likelihood of the hook ever being set and reeled in is near zero.
I don’t observe the speed limits, but that doesn’t mean that I drive like a maniac. When I do get a speeding ticket, I just give it to my lawyers and let them handle it. Granted, when I drive in residential neighborhoods, I drive below the speed limit. I only drive fast when I am on the highways.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
On another note, most major online retailers are charging sales tax now. Admittedly, it seems a little random. Being the 800 lb gorilla in the room, SP has to follow rules and regulations that a small guy flying under the radar may not worry about.
There is a nexus that usually must be surpassed before a business is required to charge and remit applicable taxes (i.e., sales and/or excise) to a state. Each state sets it's own tax law and associated nexus limits.

Using Ohio as an example, the nexus for businesses without a physical location within the state to remit applicable taxes is: gross sales into Ohio exceeding $100,000, or >=200 separate transactions into Ohio. If applicable taxes are not being handled by the vendor, then the resident is responsible for paying them as part of the annual tax filing. It's unlikely that the state will actively pursue underreported out if state purchases, but it's the law, albeit similar to the speed limit laws mentioned.

Oct 7, 2016
Being the 800 lb gorilla in the room, SP has to follow rules and regulations that a small guy flying under the radar may not worry about.
Actually, they do have to worry about them if they apply. And every individual I have ever known in the tobacco industry is compliance oriented simply because a slip up can bear “bet the company“ consequences.

But as a consumer, I can follow the rule laid down by Judge Learned Hand:
  • Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
1.) You tend to overstate.

2.) The probability is remote, but nonetheless there. And not quite as remote as you might seem to think. At any point the whole argument is academic.

Suggesting that people should be concerned about a tax liability for tobacco purchased online isn't over stating? Are you aware of one case where someone has been charged by their state for unpaid taxes on tobacco purchases? I'd say my chances with Scarrlett are higher as she is a Terminater fan.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Suggesting that people should be concerned about a tax liability for tobacco purchased online isn't over stating? Are you aware of one case where someone has been charged by their state for unpaid taxes on tobacco purchases? I'd say my chances with Scarrlett are higher as she is a Terminater fan.
The main point was that SP taxes people based on their location and what their states rates are. It's not a matter of SP having "the highest taxes". As for people's tax liability within their own state, and any excise taxes, I added that since many people seem to unaware, or are just scofflaws.

With the large amount of data available on the web, and now likely filed by companies who are participating in the collection and remittance of taxes it wouldn't much of a stretch to evaluate what's being bought and following up on whether or not taxes were paid. I am aware of one person who had their delivery to their business questioned. States are leaving a lot of money on the table. And they are looking to take more of that money off the table.

So as far as your strawman and your arguments that minimize - you're entitled to your opinion.

Scarlett - you'll probably just wake up from a dream with your **** in your hand...

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
The main point was that SP taxes people based on their location and what their states rates are. It's not a matter of SP having "the highest taxes". As for people's tax liability within their own state, and any excise taxes, I added that since many people seem to unaware, or are just scofflaws.

With the large amount of data available on the web, and now likely filed by companies who are participating in the collection and remittance of taxes it wouldn't much of a stretch to evaluate what's being bought and following up on whether or not taxes were paid. I am aware of one person who had their delivery to their business questioned. States are leaving a lot of money on the table. And they are looking to take more of that money off the table.
Bottom line, a purchase from smokingpipes.com costs me more than any other website. Slice it and dice it how ever you want. I'm not going to volunteer to pay more taxes, sorry. Between federal, state, local, property, gas and sales tax, I'm already getting taxed around 35-40% I'd estimate. I'm done.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Bottom line, a purchase from smokingpipes.com costs me more than any other website. Slice it and dice it how ever you want. I'm not going to volunteer to pay more taxes, sorry. Between federal, state, local, property, gas and sales tax, I'm already getting taxed around 35-40% I'd estimate. I'm done.

I’ll smoke to that!

(a bowl of MB Burley London Blend from a fine vendor and site sponsor like SP)

Status
Not open for further replies.