PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I missed the release 5 years ago.... grabbed 5 tins this time.

It’s cruel that MacBaren knows it has a very popular blend — since 1965 and yet continues to play this game.

I don’t enjoy being played.
The game? From what I understand, the game was that it didn’t sell enough, so it got cancelled as a regular production item. It’s available to anyone willing to order the minimum amount of it, so that’s when we get it.

Am I wrong? Your suggestion of getting played sounds like a bizarre speculation.

I find these theories funny, that companies are trying to make money by not selling something. And then when they do, the price is actually pretty cheap for tinned blends. There must be some other steps that the moustache twirlers have to get profit that escapes my business acumen.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The game? From what I understand, the game was that it didn’t sell enough, so it got cancelled as a regular production item. It’s available to anyone willing to order the minimum amount of it, so that’s when we get it.

Am I wrong? Your suggestion of getting played sounds like a bizarre speculation.

I find these theories funny, that companies are trying to make money by not selling something. And then when they do, the price is actually pretty cheap for tinned blends. There must be some other steps that the moustache twirlers have to get profit that escapes my business acumen.
Casual
Easy now. Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm. You got this. Take a deep one. Hold it.... Hold it... Let it out.

Feel better?

If they know... and they do know — that their “exclusive run” will sell out in two to three weeks and further that loyal consumers will be disappointed, then they didn’t make enough.

That being said, I’m not generally one for bizarre speculation. But I did almost have a psychic for a girlfriend... she left me before we met.

And any forum that would have me as a member, is suspect in my book anyway.

Your comments are duly noted. You are on double-secret probation. ☝️

Oct 7, 2016
I find these conspiracy theories a hoot. I was told by a now retired MacBarens employee that Burley London Blend was a decent seller in the US, but gathered dust in the rest of the world, so it was discontinued. Simple as that. That it is now a limited edition of 4000 tins this year is simply because a customer ordered 4000 tins. That might be the minimum for a special run, but if SP had wanted more, they likely could have produced 40,000. The price was definitely not a gouge. I do not know if FDA rules will allow it to be brought in after 8/21.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I find these conspiracy theories a hoot. I was told by a now retired MacBarens employee that Burley London Blend was a decent seller in the US, but gathered dust in the rest of the world, so it was discontinued. Simple as that. That it is now a limited edition of 4000 tins this year is simply because a customer ordered 4000 tins. That might be the minimum for a special run, but if SP had wanted more, they likely could have produced 40,000. The price was definitely not a gouge. I do not know if FDA rules will allow it to be brought in after 8/21.

Would be nice if SP would order another 4,000 before 8/21 just in case. I would order 20 to 30 tins "just in case".

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Maybe if enough people were interested and all made that interest known directly to Smokingpipes.com, then maybe they would consider having another run produced and offer the blend twice a year.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
You are correct. BLB sold only in America, and it wasn't a big seller here. It was a dependable one at best. Also, they had a problem getting one of the burleys at the time, and decided not to produce it when they could have slipped in another burley in its place. With STG changing blends like Peter Heinrichs #30, #39, and Curly Block with notice, I have to applaud that.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I only buy when from smokingpipes when I have no choice. Their taxes are the highest out of any website I’ve checked. When there is still a couple decent sites that have no tax at all, the only reason to shop smokingpipes is for their exclusives.
You do realize that even though you are not taxed on your purchase from certain vendors, you are still most likely on the hook for paying those taxes to your state. Most large vendors have implemented the tax collection as required by ruling a few years ago. I believe the deadline for implementing collections has recently passed, or is about to. Smaller vendors may have an exemption. And SP taxes your purchase based on what your State law requires. They don't just make it up as they go...

Reactions: python
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You do realize that even though you are not taxed on your purchase from certain vendors, you are still most likely on the hook for paying those taxes to your state. Most large vendors have implemented the tax collection as required by ruling a few years ago. I believe the deadline for implementing collections has recently passed, or is about to. Smaller vendors may have an exemption. And SP taxes your purchase based on what your State law requires. They don't just make it up as they go...

Really? I've been purchasing online tobacco for 20 years and haven't seen an invoice from the state for unpaid sales tax once. On another note, most major online retailers are charging sales tax now. Admittedly, it seems a little random. Being the 800 lb gorilla in the room, SP has to follow rules and regulations that a small guy flying under the radar may not worry about. When I compare the overall cost though, SP is one of the best value suppliers. If I had to choose one place for all my orders, it would be SP regardless of any tax.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Really? I've been purchasing online tobacco for 20 years and haven't seen an invoice from the state for unpaid sales tax once. On another note, most major online retailers are charging sales tax now. Admittedly, it seems a little random. Being the 800 lb gorilla in the room, SP has to follow rules and regulations that a small guy flying under the radar may not worry about. When I compare the overall cost though, SP is one of the best value suppliers. If I had to choose one place for all my orders, it would be SP regardless of any tax.
Obviously, most, if not all states don't have the resources to track every mail, internet, or other sale and send you a bill.

The onus is on the customer to pay the required sales tax. Many states have had these laws laws on the books well before the Wayfair ruling allowed it to be collected and remitted by the vendor without the nexus of having a physical presence within the state. Also, many states require an excise tax to be paid on tobacco that can range from a small percentage to double the sticker price.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Go pound sand. They produced as much as their customer ordered.
I get it. SP bought ordered that run of 4000. Had no idea. Thought MacBaren decided to do these teases. It’s an old favorite as was Norwood.

“Go Pound Sand?” Attaboy! My Dad used to say that old phrase with three additional words.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Obviously, most, if not all states don't have the resources to track every mail, internet, or other sale and send you a bill.

The onus is on the customer to pay the required sales tax. Many states have had these laws laws on the books well before the Wayfair ruling allowed it to be collected and remitted by the vendor without the nexus of having a physical presence within the state. Also, many states require an excise tax to be paid on tobacco that can range from a small percentage to double the sticker price.
Most states have posted speed limits on their roads but that doesn't mean the majority of the drivers on them observe the speed limit. Or ever get fined. The vast majority are driving some amount over the speed limit. Being on the hook doesn't mean much when the likelihood of the hook ever being set and reeled in is near zero.

If they know... and they do know — that their “exclusive run” will sell out in two to three weeks and further that loyal consumers will be disappointed, then they didn’t make enough.
Harley Davidson made a resounding comeback a few decades ago by (ignorantly) utilizing this technique. Of course, there were other factors in play such as Willie G. returning to the helm and making them cool again with the Great American Comeback Story, their complete inability to scale their operation which resulted in scarcity for their product = desirable = waiting lists = buy-whatever-you-could-get-your-hands-on-at-whatever-the-price, even though they were still making the same bike they were making 50 years prior with the same technology and probably tooling....

I have owned a Harley of some sort since I was a wee lad and will always have one or two in my stable until I can no longer ride so I am allowed to talk shit about them. puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.