PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
As a union organizer I am always on the move. I prefer to smoke my pipe when I have time to relax and enjoy, without pressing issues invading my mental shire. But, sometimes a 20 or 30 minute pipe break in the midst of a busy 12 hour day is just what is needed.

I would like to hear what other folks do for those mid-day smokes when away from their castle. What do you bring? What don't you? Do you have a special pipe with a smaller bowl? Do you smoke some of a bowl? A half bowl? And so on.

I've been bringing a cob or MM hardwood in a pouch with a poker and a few pipe cleaners. I usually fill it all the way and go I'm until something comes up or lunch is over and dump the rest.

You?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Servant King

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
If I have just thirty minutes and want to include enjoying a bowl in that time I just put the pipe down after thirty minutes - could be any pipe, don’t necessarily fill any differently. Did that at lunchtime at home yesterday while talking with my Dad on the phone before going back to work.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
When I am at my wood shop working by myself, I can smoke my brains out all day long. But when I go on site and I am installing, I am usually at a customer's house and obviously I am limited to smoking in my truck on my lunch break. I usually use a small to midsize bowl pipe, often my MM Dagnar poker. I usually load a bowl of 'goopy aro' first because it works out to a perfect 15-20min bowl and second out in public as a 'pipe ambassador' I try to present a positive image (smell) with my pipe and usually a cherry Cavendish or something like 1Q elicits positive comments on my pipe.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
For me, pipes are not about nicotine, they're about relaxation, so that doesn't work. I'm definitely the type that if I am having my pipe, I want to sit and relax, unbothered, and just enjoy flavors. And, I actually have to be relaxed first (smoking a pipe is relaxing for me, but I can't do it to induce relaxing). And it's something that I am focused on, it's the thing to be doing, not a thing that I can do mindlessly while doing something else.

Now, I could enjoy a pipe for 20 or 30 minutes if it's a 20-30 minute pipe (and hell, I need one that small for Rustica)... but not if I feel rushed or can't relax, which is going to happen for me even if I have a 30 minute break, it's a 20 minute pipe and it's already pre-packed so all I have to do is light and go. Honestly, I can't "unwind" briefly and then rewind. I unwind and I am unwound, that's it for a while. So if, I have a 30 min break, I am still in "on" mode until the job is done, it's just a breather, catching breath, but by no means relaxing, not while the thing is looming.

So, when I am busy and out-and-about, it's cigarettes. Far easier and more practical than a pipe and tobacco, but I also enjoy cigarettes differently than pipes, and I can sit and relax with them and enjoy their flavor just like with pipes, but I can't smoke a pipe mindlessly and stay "on" like I can with cigarettes.

But it's not just the pipe, I can't do anything relaxing as a "little bit at a time" thing, I can't do it "partly or a little bit". It's full on or not at all.

I guess another comparison is that I like listening to music while I am driving. However, my focus is on the driving, so I miss half of it and it becomes background static. I come to a stop and realize "shit, I missed my favorite part/song". If I want to enjoy music, I have to sit and listen and focus on it while not doing anything else. Like, I can't have a conversation while watching a show... one is getting the attention and the other is getting mostly missed or in-and-out. It's the same way with a pipe for me, I miss the enjoyment in it if I am having to focus on other crap. Could do it while working or driving or something, but it would be "wasted" and unrecognized, like the music.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThermionicScott

PipeWI

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2023
Somerset WI
I mostly smoke in the car on days I have to be in my office and use other tobacco products to get by.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
As a union organizer I am always on the move. I prefer to smoke my pipe when I have time to relax and enjoy, without pressing issues invading my mental shire. But, sometimes a 20 or 30 minute pipe break in the midst of a busy 12 hour day is just what is needed.

I would like to hear what other folks do for those mid-day smokes when away from their castle. What do you bring? What don't you? Do you have a special pipe with a smaller bowl? Do you smoke some of a bowl? A half bowl? And so on.

I've been bringing a cob or MM hardwood in a pouch with a poker and a few pipe cleaners. I usually fill it all the way and go I'm until something comes up or lunch is over and dump the rest.

You?
I am in Local 8 by the way. For my breaks I smoke a smaller pipe including my really super small pipe which has a chamber size like the japanesse metal pipes. Though I almost exclusively smoke five brothers or semois in it.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN

You?
Pro Tip! If you have to transport a partially smoked bowl coil up (like a snake) a pipe cleaner for a self sizing plug. Turn up the end for something to grab when you pull it out. UNITE!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I prefer tiny billiard pipes all day regardless. However my Rossi 8614 oompaul is great for all day smoking. Being a full bent, I don't worry about it spilling in my breast pockets.

Reactions: Annaresti Red
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I used to take a cob with a basic pipe tool, a Bic and a small pouch of 1Q or something similar for times when I would have down time between calls. It never failed though, when I would pack a bowl and light up, I would get a call. I gave up on the idea of having a pipe at work. As I smoke for relaxation and not nicotine it's not a big deal for me. It's been years since I smoked while I was at work, and I'm fine with that.

Reactions: Annaresti Red