PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've told this yarn before, and it is a little different from the OP, but along these lines. At my favorite independent pipe shop I saw a LaRocca Rose poker that I admired, but I thought the looping carving on the bowl and shank was a little too folksy, so I put it back on the pipe wall. But over some weeks, I kept thinking about that pipe. Eventually, I decided I'd go back, and if the pipe was still there, I'd buy it. It was, and I did, and it turned out to be the perfect pipe for Tabac-Manil Semois and Five Brothers, but other style blends too. A nice long smoke. Moderately priced.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I'm still kicking myself for being too slow on the trigger for this Ardor Acorn.
If anybody ever sees it or anything like it please let me know.
002-004-2453.jpg

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, the acorn shape is not rare, but it's a little off the main path. That's a particularly good version, an unusual flow and design.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Saw a French made briar cutty on EBay which "I had to have". Bid well over the odds to get it. Parcel arrived - wrong pipe :(

The vendor was most apologetic when contacted and provided a full refund and insisted I keep the pipe that I received.

Propitiously a couple of weeks later, I saw another of that same pipe on EBay which I was able to get for roughly half what I paid for the first. ?

Interesting thing - in 3 years of scouring EBay those are the only 2 of that model that I've encountered.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Saw a French made briar cutty on EBay which "I had to have". Bid well over the odds to get it. Parcel arrived - wrong pipe :(

The vendor was most apologetic when contacted and provided a full refund and insisted I keep the pipe that I received.

Propitiously a couple of weeks later, I saw another of that same pipe on EBay which I was able to get for roughly half what I paid for the first. ?

Interesting thing - in 3 years of scouring EBay those are the only 2 of that model that I've encountered.

That’s amazing; two pipes for the price of one and it was cheaper than you initially paid! Can you post pictures of said pipes?

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
The best one is a Sunrise (Comoy's seconds) Canadian shape. It smokes virginias and va/pers like a dream. Close runners up are a Savinelli straight apple made for Iwan Ries and a Mountbatten bent billiard (made by Charatan apprentice carvers).
I have a Sunrise bent billiard that came in a group of pipes that I bought because I wanted one of the pipes in the group. It was tired-looking but not abused. I cleaned it and polished it up on a buffing wheel and it was essentially like new. Beautiful pipe and smokes great. I'd estimate that it's from the 1930s.

IMG_7912.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I have a Sunrise bent billiard that came in a group of pipes that I bought because I wanted one of the pipes in the group. It was tired-looking but not abused. I cleaned it and polished it up on a buffing wheel and it was essentially like new. Beautiful pipe and smokes great. I'd estimate that it's from the 1930s.

View attachment 98803
Simple and beautiful. If it is from the 30s, it’s coming up on being 100 years old!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Love how this looks, especially how you framed it for the photo.
Thank you.

I wanted to evoke the period when pipes of that shape were common.

The rhum bottle (empty, alas) dates from the late 1800s and bears the crest of Napoleon B on its shoulder. The rhum came from the personal property of Josephine B in Martinique.

Napoleon B was said to be very fond of rhum (and cognac too), and would have a stash of it carted around on his various military campaigns

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Thank you.

I wanted to evoke the period when pipes of that shape were common.

The rhum bottle (empty, alas) dates from the late 1800s and bears the crest of Napoleon B on its shoulder. The rhum came from the personal property of Josephine B in Martinique.

Napoleon B was said to be very fond of rhum (and cognac too), and would have a stash of it carted around on his various military campaigns
Now that’s a story! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: OzPiper

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
My "loved and lost" hasn't yet returned. I don't expect it to, but I hope to find one like it someday. I took it out with me, and when I checked my pocket after getting home from a very long day with many stops, it wasn't there any more. I have no idea how it could have come out, but apparently it did.

Caminetto "New Dear" shape 115, bought at a tiny tobacconist in Kona, Hawai'i in about 2006.

aZbyJu8.jpg

7NxvQr1.jpg

Maybe someday. I've seen all of one other, already sold, on SmokingPipes. Not quite as cool, but close.

lRSl8Uo.jpg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
My "loved and lost" hasn't yet returned. I don't expect it to, but I hope to find one like it someday. I took it out with me, and when I checked my pocket after getting home from a very long day with many stops, it wasn't there any more. I have no idea how it could have come out, but apparently it did.

Caminetto "New Dear" shape 115, bought at a tiny tobacconist in Kona, Hawai'i in about 2006.

aZbyJu8.jpg

7NxvQr1.jpg

Maybe someday. I've seen all of one other, already sold, on SmokingPipes. Not quite as cool, but close.

lRSl8Uo.jpg

aZbyJu8.jpg

7NxvQr1.jpg

lRSl8Uo.jpg
Wow, that is a true loss

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Not me but my friend @HeavysmokerTN is smitten with this pencil shank Dublin on Tom Eltang's website. Never seen one exactly like it anywhere else. I've shown him similar one's from Piersel and Nuttens. He's stubborn and won't accept any imitations. ?

View attachment 98783
I can see why. That is beautiful pipe with great blast. I like Eltang pipes and really love the Arne Jacobsen pipe. I bought a pencil shank dublin which, on the Danish pipe shop, was described as a Jacobsen. Nice little long shanked pipe. However, the walls were so thin that it was really impossible to enjoy a smoke as the bowl became blazing hot every time no matter tobacco style was used. I traded it within a year. I do think that both piersel and Nuttens make some fine looking pipes.

Reactions: OzPiper