PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Have you ever wanted a pipe but let it slip through your fingers (or wallet) only to find and buy it at a future date?

About 10 years ago I was new to pipe smoking and was much less disciplined with PAD (the discipline has gotten better but the PAD feelings have not). There was dozens of pipes that I would see that I coveted from a Dunhill shell briar billiard to a plain Savinelli 614 and many others.

While I felt the disappointment of not being able to own these pipes; I knew that eventually I could find them again since they are factory pipes. There was one pipe that I saw that I stumbled on an an artisan's website and I knew I just had to have it. He was an "beginner" pipe carver at the time so his prices were very reasonable for his skill and I thought I could swing this. The pipe in question wasn't in the for sale section so I sent a note and inquired about the pipe. He promptly got back to me and said that he had unfortunately sold the pipe a little while ago though he could make me something similar. I don't remember why butI didn't take him up on that offer; I think I was just dead set on getting that exact pipe.

I scoured the internet hoping that the person who bought this pipe and eventually found them on a forum. I reached out and was not surprised that the owner was not interested in selling. I knew that this was likely what I’d encounter so I wasn't too disappointed. I simply asked that if they were ever selling the pipe that they reach out to me and give me the first chance to buy it.

Fast-forward several months (maybe even a year) later and I get a message in my inbox. Long story short, they were thinning out their collection and wanted to sell me the pipe. I was amazed by my good fortune and was thankful for the opportunity. The pipe had only been smoked a few times and was in like new condition.

This is still my favorite pipe and the one I’ll never get rid of even though it’s not the first pipe I reach for, primarily because I still like to baby it.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Which ones, Aro?
Moonshine Cannonball with a tapered tortoise stem in dark stain

002-767-1706.6859.jpg

Neerup Acorn

002-203-5518.1990.jpg

I'm not set on that specific cannonball but I'd love to find that Neerup (or something very similar). There were 5 of these on SP when they were available but I thought this one was far and away the best due to its stain and stem color.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
Yes, a Castello Epoca Canadian that I lost the eBay bid on. A few months later it showed up again in an auction. Couldn't believe my eyes. Got it that time. The only problem is that I now believe that similar miracles will happen the the future ...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
20 years ago, when I was traveling a lot in the mid-Atlantic, I stumbled on a Tinder Box outside of Philadelphia. They didn't have much pipe stuff, but did have a black sandblast Caminetto bulldog in their display case. The owner said it had been in there for 20 years (or as long as anyone there could remember). He wanted $100 for it. I passed and have never seen one since and never made it back to that shop.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yes, a Castello Epoca Canadian that I lost the eBay bid on. A few months later it showed up again in an auction. Couldn't believe my eyes. Got it that time. The only problem is that I now believe that similar miracles will happen the the future ...
Can you post a picture of the pipe?

I am definitely holding out hope that I’ll see that Neerup acorn again but I’m also confident I could find a different one that hits the same.

Reactions: kcghost

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
20 years ago, when I was traveling a lot in the mid-Atlantic, I stumbled on a Tinder Box outside of Philadelphia. They didn't have much pipe stuff, but did have a black sandblast Caminetto bulldog in their display case. The owner said it had been in there for 20 years (or as long as anyone there could remember). He wanted $100 for it. I passed and have never seen one since and never made it back to that shop.
Could you call the shop and inquire about it? It might still be there.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Very nice looking bulldog! That's cool that you were able to track it down and eventually purchase it.

I do not own any artisan pipes, so none of mine are truly one-of-a-kind, but I do have a couple old estate pipes that for whatever reason just deliver a fantastic smoke. To me, they have become one-of-a-kind so I understand the sentiment.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Very nice looking bulldog! That's cool that you were able to track it down and eventually purchase it.

I do not own any artisan pipes, so none of mine are truly one-of-a-kind, but I do have a couple old estate pipes that for whatever reason just deliver a fantastic smoke. To me, they have become one-of-a-kind so I understand the sentiment.
What pipes are they?