PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Glad to see a thread on the Lovat. I have been a fan of this shape for some time and have a few, but this humble Comoy sub brand, a Hyde Park is my favorite. Loaded with birdseye on both sides, and is a wonderful smoking pipe. Congrats on your Stanwell, unsmoked no less, a rare pipe indeed!

View attachment 171542
That has great looking Birdseye grain for a sub-brand
Very nice.

Reactions: agnosticpipe

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thank you, I agree. I don't think I've ever seen a regular Comoy with such nice grain. Here's the other side.

View attachment 171564

I guess I'm being kind of mean, but here's the other side.
Unless there is/are hidden fills, that is an AA grade pipe for any artisan maker.

I'm often perplexed by the grading system used in some factories. It seem quite arbitary.
I seem to recall some one (it could be Ken Barnes) saying it depends very much on that particular batch of pipes sorted on the day. It was a batch of stummels with great grain, a "not as great" might be downgraded when on another day, it may be top dog in a batch with quite ordinary grain.
Ie subjective rather than objective.

I have a Blue Riband with nice but not great grain. I have a few Select Grain (supposedly "rejects") with much superior grain.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Unless there is/are hidden fills, that is an AA grade pipe for any artisan maker.

I'm often perplexed by the grading system used in some factories. It seem quite arbitary.
I seem to recall some one (it could be Ken Barnes) saying it depends very much on that particular batch of pipes sorted on the day. It was a batch of stummels with great grain, a "not as great" might be downgraded when on another day, it may be top dog in a batch with quite ordinary grain.
Ie subjective rather than objective.

I have a Blue Riband with nice but not great grain. I have a few Select Grain (supposedly "rejects") with much superior grain.
There is a tiny flaw about 3/4 of the way down on the left front of the bowl. You can just see it at the bottom of the reflection in the first photo. Not a fill, just kind of a pit of sorts, and not noticeable unless you were looking for it. That's the only flaw I can see on the pipe. I guess that's why it was down graded.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
There is a tiny flaw about 3/4 of the way down on the left front of the bowl. You can just see it at the bottom of the reflection in the first photo. Not a fill, just kind of a pit of sorts, and not noticeable unless you were looking for it. That's the only flaw I can see on the pipe. I guess that's why it was down graded.
Yep.
That accords with my experience with older Comoys.
A small flaw/fill (often difficult to spot) got it downgraded.
Our gain, as these "rejects" can be got at a fraction of the price of a Blue Riband

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I thought I'd post a photo of the Stanwell with my other 2 Lovats to show their relative sizes

The smallest at the top is an Orlik. I love the taper to the shank. It's a small design detail, but one which lifts it above the ordinary.
Orlik seems to be under-appreciated as an old Britwood brand. Exception of Dave (@Ahi Ka)

The middle pipe is the patented Stanwell shape 38a

The one at the bottom is a GBD Virgin (supposedly one of their higher grades)

image.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
And may Orlik stay under appreciated until I’ve had my fill 😂

I only have one Danish pipe and it’s a Larsen lovat. It’s also my favourite lovat. I really like the subtle elements used to embellish a classical shape, without going all carnival freakshow with the carving.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Funny how nobody calls them ‘Colonel Frasers’ anymore. That was always the term given by the older generation. Round these parts anyway.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Funny how nobody calls them ‘Colonel Frasers’ anymore. That was always the term given by the older generation. Round these parts anyway.
I find it interesting why one name becomes favoured over another eg Hungarian vs oom paul.
The bulldog shape which originated in France was known as "Haiti". I often wonder how that evolved (?devolved) into "bulldog"

I like "Lovat" - both a name, and also describes how you feel about that pipe. A double entendre.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I find it interesting why one name becomes favoured over another eg Hungarian vs oom paul.
The bulldog shape which originated in France was known as "Haiti". I often wonder how that evolved (?devolved) into "bulldog"

I like "Lovat" - both a name, and also describes how you feel about that pipe. A double entendre.
I share the interest, sir. Colonel Fraser was the Lord Lovat, so not too much of an evolution on this one, but the general evolution of terms over the years is always interesting.

Shall we have a refreshing discussion on the bulldog vs the Rhodesian?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Shall we have a refreshing discussion on the bulldog vs the Rhodesian?
:eek:
The Bulldog shape is my favourite.
I read as many threads as I could find on the subject in these and other Forums
To say debate was vigorous is an gross understatement.
In some cases stopping just short of pistols drawn at 10 paces.
I believe generational feuds have started over less.
rotf

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
A new arrival - a Stanwell shape 38 Lovat.
An earlier shape designed by Sixten Ivarsson.

It is an unsmoked NOS complete with original box and papers. Patent numbered

The bowl is a large size 5 but at 13cm long it is a shorter shanked Lovat which I prefer.

View attachment 171307
I mean you either Lovat or leave it. You have to make a choice. My choice is I will see myself out.