PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I have probably, 75+ jars, from 1/2 Pint, which will hold 2 oz of Tobaccy, to 1 gallon jars, which will hold 1.25 lb. of tobaccy....all depending on the cut of the blend.

I do have them labeled pretty good so I know what they are, but there are a few "unknowns."

Maybe I'll get it straightened out this upcoming Winter, at least I'll give it a shot...puffy

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
Don't worry about it. Its your tobacco. Open what you want and smoke what you like. Eventually you'll find what you really prefer and then you'll begin to cellar those particular blends. When I was getting started, everything I bought was opened because I wanted to try it. Now I've got an ides for what I really like and have started slowly cellaring those particular blends. Enjoy. Have fun. Don't over think this. Its supposed to be relaxing! Take care...

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
I don't like having many tins open. I try to keep it under 8, right now I have 10 open tins/jars. To help combat this I keep my cellar of tins and jars in some waterproof storage totes in our storage locker. I think combined I have about 180 tins/jars in there.

Reactions: yanoJL

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I always have a tub of codger blend going and a few other staples, such as Newminster Navy Flake and a decent black cavendish. Beyond that, I don't like to open more than 2 or 3 tins at a time (or jarred bulk that I'm working through) . This forces me to take my time getting to know the blends and learning to appreciate things that don't click at first, rather than sampling and moving on, sampling and moving on...

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
I've got, let's see... 20 open jars, totalling a little more than a pound. Some of them are straight blending tobaccos like red Virginia, dark Burley, Perique, Dark-Fired Kentucky, etc.

Inside of us there are two wolves: one wants to keep the jar count small, the other wants to try more blends!
Yeah, I think Hesse wrote a book about that…

Reactions: ThermionicScott

TexJake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2022
Hill Country, TX
I can relate, I have probably 50 or so 1/2 pint jars at various levels of full. They disappear rather slowly but I keep at it… this chore I’ve created for myself 😂 … I try to maintain some kind of balance between spending time with a specific blend to find the right pipes and situations that work best and keeping my curiosity and interest in other flavors alive. It used to be a source of internal frustration, even bordering on self shaming, but I have come to terms with the fact that I enjoy the variety and will not allow this thing that I enjoy to become another source of overbearing structure.

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
I have 18 open jars at the moment. When I started smoking about 2 years ago I tried different blends to see what appealed. Some forum members made suggestions and one even sent me some samples (thanks again! You know who you are.) So the number built up.
Then I got Covid last October and it changed my sense of taste. The blends which previously were favorites tasted terrible. But two blends which I had disliked, now tasted at least acceptable. As time goes on, those two have begun to taste better and better, and the former blends are improving, slowly.
So my point is that having the open jars was a benefit because I had the two blends to fall back on. Who can say what life will throw us next? I'm glad I have my open jars, and when my sense of taste fully returns I will be spoilt for choice. 😛

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whoa, I have a plenty of tobacco, but nothing like that. I'm a moderate smoker, a bowl or two a day, sometimes none, and I buy just a few tins or baggies at a time, but I buy more than I smoke, so it accumulates. I tend to just "shop at home" and discover what's good that I forgot I had. I like most genres, but burley is my weakness.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I have 18 open jars at the moment. When I started smoking about 2 years ago I tried different blends to see what appealed. Some forum members made suggestions and one even sent me some samples (thanks again! You know who you are.) So the number built up.
Then I got Covid last October and it changed my sense of taste. The blends which previously were favorites tasted terrible. But two blends which I had disliked, now tasted at least acceptable. As time goes on, those two have begun to taste better and better, and the former blends are improving, slowly.
So my point is that having the open jars was a benefit because I had the two blends to fall back on. Who can say what life will throw us next? I'm glad I have my open jars, and when my sense of taste fully returns I will be spoilt for choice. 😛
I may have had Covid over the winter without knowing it. Everytime I was sick I tested negative, but my taste was off. I didn't realize my taste was as bad as it was until a week and half ago when blends started both smelling and tasting better.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I may have had Covid over the winter without knowing it. Everytime I was sick I tested negative, but my taste was off. I didn't realize my taste was as bad as it was until a week and half ago when blends started both smelling and tasting better.
It might not have been Covid. My sense of smell has taken a serious hit every winter that I can remember. It's just recently that we've started freaking out when we notice it. puffy

Reactions: mbmoehl

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I made my first tin purchases over a week ago, I bought four tins and I still haven't popped any of them open because I need to buy some half pint mason jars to put them in and some tape to label. I'm not in a particular rush because I have plenty of bulks and codgers to smoke plus a full Tupperdor of cigars.