PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Good morning guys,
I'm wondering what you all think about the loss of flavor vs. smoke-ability of any given tobacco?
If I dry out (by whatever means) any given "clump" of tobacco to the point where it is easily smokeable, how much flavor have I lost?
On the other hand if I don't dry out the clump, but try to smoke it right out of the tin, I would think (but don't know for certain)that although much more difficult to smoke the tobacco would have more flavor?
what/where's the trade-off?
Todd

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
That's very tobacco dependent.
For example McClelland Virginia's taste the best when very dry. What I would have normally considered too dry.
But at the same time other tobacco's like the Stokkebye luxury flakes lose flavor for me at that dryness.
You need to experiment and take notes to find what works best for that blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The degree of drying that promotes an easy light and even burn will give the best flavor, without the tobacco becoming powdery. You have to learn this from each blend. Frog Morton Cellar, for example, feels moist in the tin, but it lights readily and burns evenly with few relights.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
jpmcwjr
I would say there is a significant lot of people who disagree with that idea.
For me, Irish Flake and ODF loose a little something of the flavor once dried.
It's a very individual thing for each blend.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Kanse, I think you will find the vast majority of seasoned pipesmokers dry their tobacco to some degree, both for ease of lighting and burn but most importantly for flavour.
In smoking wet tobacco the flavour is much diluted by the steam created in the bowl. Lower the amount of steam and you benefit from more flavour. It really is that simple.
Regards,
Jay.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
:)
actually Jay, I've been drying out some Frog Morton all day just to give that a try...

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
All day drying didn't help, the Canadian still smoked like crap! time to get a 5/32
Meanwhile to ime to relax with one of my easy smokers and some Froggy

Status
Not open for further replies.